IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > August 19th - Lawrenceburg Speedway - $3,000 to win
8/21/17, 10:28 AM   #31
Re: August 19th - Lawrenceburg Speedway - $3,000 to win
Team96

Maybe I am taking this the wrong way and hope I am. Are people really thinking that the non-wing sprint teams owe it to fans and tracks to show up to race and lose money for their entertainment?

Of course racers love racing, or they would not spend the money they do for what is obviously a passion. That does not mean we want to lose money every weekend or want others to pick and choose what races we participate in.

Again, we love Lawrenceburg!! But, we also know that if you race a feature race on that surface you will use up a new Right Rear tire....which costs $225 for most of us. So you start the feature and end up in 15th place and take home $225 for which you paid a minimum $90 to get your team in the gate, $90 in fuel to get to the track and at least $320 in up keep costs (oil, filters, alk, etc.). So with the $225 in winnings your are only down $500. And that's if you didn't tear up anything out of the ordinary. What a great deal.

I am not complaining. We knew what we were getting into when we started with our passion.

But, others trying to tell us what races we should participate in just blows my mind.

8/21/17, 11:59 AM   #32
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I'd take a field of 19 wingless sprints over 39 winged sprints any day.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, sprinter14, tirespinner
8/21/17, 12:05 PM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team96 View Post
Maybe I am taking this the wrong way and hope I am. Are people really thinking that the non-wing sprint teams owe it to fans and tracks to show up to race and lose money for their entertainment?

Of course racers love racing, or they would not spend the money they do for what is obviously a passion. That does not mean we want to lose money every weekend or want others to pick and choose what races we participate in.

Again, we love Lawrenceburg!! But, we also know that if you race a feature race on that surface you will use up a new Right Rear tire....which costs $225 for most of us. So you start the feature and end up in 15th place and take home $225 for which you paid a minimum $90 to get your team in the gate, $90 in fuel to get to the track and at least $320 in up keep costs (oil, filters, alk, etc.). So with the $225 in winnings your are only down $500. And that's if you didn't tear up anything out of the ordinary. What a great deal.

I am not complaining. We knew what we were getting into when we started with our passion.

But, others trying to tell us what races we should participate in just blows my mind.
I think you are taking it wrong. I love all the race teams weather there there or not.
What Im pointing out is it seems like a lack of support for higher purses. And that may be a reason why their ain't many.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/21/17, 12:34 PM   #34
Gregg

Other various reasons for the car count.

Moffatt, Leary and Goodnight raced in the Bettenhausen 100 with almost no chance of making it to the 'burg on time. At least two cars would have showed up in my estimation and possibly Tony McVey might have been another car at the 'burg as well.

Justin Owen was resting his equipment.

TMez was a no show with motor issues.

And Drew Abel probably had the best reason of all; being daddy to a brand new baby daughter.

We were a tad light on car count but any disappointment went away at the drop of the green. The Ballou KTJr battle near the end was worth the price of admission as was Nick Bilbee 25 lap charge from dead last to a 7th place finish.
Last edited by Gregg; 8/21/17 at 12:41 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > August 19th - Lawrenceburg Speedway - $3,000 to win