IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS sprints @ THAT
4/20/16, 12:49 PM   #11
Re: MSCS sprints @ THAT
Ty

Any other form of racing, qualifying is nothing special. Being in Big Block / Northeast Modified country, one Modified at a time is a waste of time. Being a photographer now I don't mind it as much as I did when I was a fan in the stands. Even at a winged sprint car show as a fan I didn't care for single car time trials, but the traditional non wing sprint car, qualifying / time trials is my favorite part of the night. Seeing the driver "elbows up" coming at you at full lock going into 1 or 3, is incredible. I love being able to see the entire right side of the car, but the car & the driver still being in control.

4/20/16, 9:42 PM   #12
JoshCunningham

I know for a fact that every track we raced at with the MSCS in 2003, we qualified. It was pretty awesome to get to a new track, hot lap, then see what everyone had below the belt. Even had the good ole trophy dash for the 4 fastest qualifiers. Good times, amazing tracks, and even better people.

4/21/16, 2:28 AM   #13
treecitytornado

That's right, Josh. I remember qualifying at North Vernon and Bardstown.

4/21/16, 3:58 PM   #14
ThrowbackRacingTeam

With lower car counts, I don't expect much more than 20, it would be really good to see single car qualifying at this one race. I think most are in agreement that it is one of most exciting parts of the night at the Action Track. I sure hope they reconsider and make almost all the fans happier!

2 members like this post: FishBurger, tirespinner
4/21/16, 4:13 PM   #15
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Does anyone remember what year it was that MSCS had 65 sprints at the opener at Terre Haute? It was early to mid 2000's i know forsure thinking 2004 maybe 2005. I just remember that was my first trip to the track. Would love to see those numbers again.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
4/21/16, 5:07 PM   #16
BrentTFunk

The only time I remember that many cars at Terre Haute was the rained out Sprintweek race that was going to be on ESPN. Not saying it wasn't, just what I remember.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/21/16, 5:12 PM   #17
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCunningham View Post
I know for a fact that every track we raced at with the MSCS in 2003, we qualified. It was pretty awesome to get to a new track, hot lap, then see what everyone had below the belt. Even had the good ole trophy dash for the 4 fastest qualifiers. Good times, amazing tracks, and even better people.
Josh you are right back when Sam Stockon had the MSCS you did qualified. But after the Helfricks bought the series they have not qualified, cuz they went with the pill draw,

4/21/16, 5:29 PM   #18
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSneader2 View Post
Does anyone remember what year it was that MSCS had 65 sprints at the opener at Terre Haute? It was early to mid 2000's i know forsure thinking 2004 maybe 2005. I just remember that was my first trip to the track. Would love to see those numbers again.
Don't remember THAT having that many,LBURG had some high car counts when MSCS used to have a 2 day show.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/21/16, 5:55 PM   #19
VSneader2

It may not have been a MSCS show I just remember it being early in the season and at THAT.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/22/16, 7:13 AM   #20
VSneader2

Ok after some searching I found this. It was 56 sprints and the 2005 MSCS Spring Fling. hey that was 11 years ago I had the 5 and the 6 right just in the wrong positions. Would love to see those number again.

Darland and Brun MSCS "Spring Fling" Winners

From Sam Stockon: Two beatiful Spring nights were on tap for the Hoosier Tire Midwest Sprint Car Series openers. An almost perfect night at Terre Haute saw the MSCS car count record tied with 56 Sprint Cars in the pits.

A large opening crowd and a nicely prepard race track made the six heats go smooth. Winners made the redraw and they were Paul May, Alex Shanks, Bryan Clauson, Bud Kaeding, Dave Darland, and Terry Babb. The two B Mains were won by A. J. Anderson and Justin Marvel. Darland started on the pole and led flag to flag, but the racing was hot for the rest of the field. Jon Stanbrough received the MSCS "Hard Charge" Award by passing the most positions in the feature. Dickie Gaines was right behind Stanbrough for that honor. The finish of the Bell Helmets Feature was Darland, Stanbrough, Kaeding, May, Gaines, Kent Christian, Marvel, Kenny Carmichael Jr., Anderson, and Babb. Travis Thompson won the Steel Block award.

Sunday at Spoon River Speedway, Canton, Illinois hosted Sprints and Midgets. A large car count with a lot of midgets and 33 MSCS Sprint Cars and also Modifieds and Wild Things. The early start had the track slick and the surroundings dry. This turned into a wild night for the promoter, racers, and fans for many crashes a couple of hospital trips and the track lights kept going out and really confusing and delaying an already crazy evening. Shane Hollingsworth won the First Heat after flipping his MIdget in Hotlaps, Josh Slone, Morgantown, Indiana won the Second Heat, and late arrival Joey Montgomery of Fredricktown, Missouri won the Third Heat over Rookie Brent Bauchamp. The B Main was won by Ryan Jamison of Iowa. The Feature race turned out to be a wild and unpredictable race. Hollingsworth stayed out front most of the feature. On lap four the first big spill say Chris Urish going end for end in three and Slone also was involved. On a lap 17 restart Montgomery ran up on Hollingsworth left rear causing Hollingsworth to be disqualified for a flat tire. On the final restart on lap 18 an aggressive move by Chase Stockon, who had started last and was trying for third made contact with Korey Weyant in turn three, with Weyant taking a very nasty spill and a trip to the hospital. Some of the drivers at this time reported they were running out of fuel and the race was ended at that point for with all the problems and cautions and light problems, it was getting really late. A. J. Brun was declared the winner over last years Champion, Alex Shanks. Shanks after two nights is leading the points over Hollingworth and Brun. Dave Darland is leading the Mike's Motors "Route 41 Shootout". The next MSCS race is Saturday April 16th at the famous Florenc Speedway, Union, Kentucky.

Results Terre Haute, April 9:

KEIZER ALUMINUM WHEELS HEAT ONE -Paul May 71m, Chase Stockon 32, Hud Cone 14, A. J. Brun 44, Alex Pruitt 56az, Dale Christian 83, Craig Budde 59, Devin Priddy 2x, Aric Gentry 10, Justin Marvel 47

FORCE ONE SECOND HEAT TWO - Alex Shanks 55b, Kenny Carmichael Jr. 92c, Danny Holtsclaw 11c, Don Droud Jr. 11p, Travis Thompson 7m, Scotty Weir 22w, Rick Vaughn 22v, Bobby Smith 8, Jarod Fox 56f

BOWLERS APPARAL & TROPHIES THIRD HEAT - Bryan Clauson 7c, Kyle Wissmiller 2k, A. J. Anderson 34, Shane Hollingsworth 85, Davey Ray 62, Josh Slone 16, Tim Simmons 71s, Kyle Nicholos 02, Jermy Vanesky 68k, Cody Gentry 15

KINSER AIR FILTERS FOURTH HEAT - Bud Kaeding 29, Doug Heck 11h, Mitch Wissmiller 7x, Daron Clayton 92x, Wil Newlin 1cr, Terry Pletch 29p, J. T. Imperial 12, Rick Folger 17e, Brad Marvel 54

DEDRO TRAILER FIFTH HEAT - Dave Darland 11, Jon Siscoe 7, Matt Neely 6, Jon Stanbrough 10s, Kenny Carmichael 92, Shawn Krockenberger 21k, Brady Short 36, Patrick Budde 90, Jim Mills 45

MIKES MOTOR SIXTH HEAT - Terry Babb 88, Kent Christian 1c, Brad Sweet 53, Dickie Gaines 70, Tom Hessert 5h, Jerry Ruble 17, Jimmy Laser 8L, Gary Hayden 7w, Donnie Gentry 51

DYNAMITE RACE CARS B MAIN - Anderson, J. Marvel, Cone, Holtsclaw, Hollingsworth, Droud Jr., Brun, Weir, Pruett, Ray, Vaughn, Slone, D. Christian, Nicholos, Smith, C. Budde, Priddy, Vanesky

SHELBURN MACHINE B MAIN - Clayton, Stanbrough, Gaines, Krockenberger, M. Wissmiller, Neely, Hessert, Pletch, Carmichael Sr. Laser, Ruble, Imperial, Short, Folger, Hayden, P. Budde, A. Gentry, C. Gentry, Newlin, Sweet

BELL HELMETS FEATURE - Darland, Stanbrough, Kaeding, May, Gaines, K. Christian, J. Marvel, Carmichael Jr., Anderson, Babb, Cone, Hollingsworth, Krockenberger, Siscoe, Shanks, Thompson, Heck, Clauson, Stockon, K. Wissmiller, Clayton

3 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS sprints @ THAT