IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car counts
7/25/15, 9:17 AM   #1
Car counts
Longtime sprinter

Everyone seems to be concerned about car counts especially in midgets, I was just thinking how I would love to see a track make the midgets there companion class on a weekly basis. Really, how many drivers have come up to sprints thru hobby stocks, and/or modifieds?

7/25/15, 9:56 AM   #2
Re: Car counts
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Montpelier runs midgets bi-weekly I believe. They also allow spec midgets (focus, kenyon, ect.) and mini-sprints (lightning sprints) to compete (no minimum weight rule for those cars). I believe the average car count is in mid 20's. Their last event had 26. They are running their Midget class tonight.

http://www.montpeliermotorspeedway.com/

4 members like this post: cwfan08, DAD, dirtnonwingfan, Tony74
7/25/15, 10:36 AM   #3
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime sprinter View Post
Everyone seems to be concerned about car counts especially in midgets, I was just thinking how I would love to see a track make the midgets there companion class on a weekly basis. Really, how many drivers have come up to sprints thru hobby stocks, and/or modifieds?

Longtime

Montpelier is doing a heck of a job with their Midget class + they have turned a "sow's" ear of a race track into a "silk purse". They have done the impossible.

This year a new group has taken over the famous Thunder Valley Speedway in Salem Indiana. This is a small banked 1/5 mile race track. They have included a newer class of Midgets indorsed by PowrI called Division II Midgets. They are comprised of the 600cc-1200cc Mini Sprints and Midgets powered by the new 2400cc or smaller stock block automotive engines.

We sometimes call this little track "Wonder Valley Speedway" but I think if they stick to their gun's in a year or so we will have a very healthy Midget Division operating in Southern Indiana on a weekly basis as their top class . As we speak I think PowerI is operating a division down in Northern Florida and Southern Georgia as well as trying to put in place another group in Illinois.

The biggest difference in these cars and National Midgets will be the replacement of special engines and I hope expensive tires with more affordable pieces for the racer. They are still tweaking their rules to accomplish their goals and I wish them good luck in their efforts.

http://www.midwestd2midgets.com/

http://www.ssmidgets.com/

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/25/15 at 10:44 AM.

3 members like this post: Indy1808, jim goerge, Wayne Davis
7/25/15, 2:23 PM   #4
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

10 race deal at Montpelier.. Mother nature hasn't been kind the last 2 years but I think we have bad over 20 cars at each race since last year.

Tk

7/25/15, 8:34 PM   #5
Longtime sprinter

Thanks guys for the info, I plan to make it to Montpeliar this year, have never been. But, I did not make my post very clear, I meant to be saying I would like to see some tracks run both sprints and midgets weekly. To me that's a much better show than sprints with mods, and Junkers.

2 members like this post: cwfan08, jim goerge
7/25/15, 8:52 PM   #6
kylezero

Honestly with the amount of midgets still racing. I don't see a promoter sticking his neck out to do this when the modified count is so high. I would love too see midgets in Indiana more. Powr I will have to start creeping this way.

2 members like this post: DAD, jim goerge
7/26/15, 12:24 AM   #7
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

23 midgets at Montpelier tonight. This is one neat track, not only for the midgets, but obviously very popular with families. Sadly, you don't see that at many tracks any more. They sure are doing something right.

6 members like this post: BrianBSU23, cwfan08, DirtHawk92, fish, jim goerge, VSneader2
7/26/15, 1:11 AM   #8
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylezero View Post
Honestly with the amount of midgets still racing. I don't see a promoter sticking his neck out to do this when the modified count is so high. I would love too see midgets in Indiana more. Powr I will have to start creeping this way.
Kyle

The way I understand it quality is more important than quantity. A good promoter does not depend on the back gate for his profit. The money is superposed to come in the front gate. If he does not make money from the front gate no number of classes is going to make him a success. I don't have anything against modified's unless we are sitting in the chute waiting to get on the track and we end up watching at least one of them spin out for every lap of a 20 lap feature.

Promoters with out a crowd in the stands are not promoters, They are simply renting track time. Work on getting a crowd and support several good competitive classes that will give the fans good close racing with lots of side by side racing.

I went to a race tonight with only 25 cars in the pits. It ended up being a pretty good race, and one driver had enough Balls to restart on the tail to shoot for a $10,000.00 Bonus. He didn't make it but it was fun watching him work through the back markers with what would be classified an underpowered Midget. His first time in a Midget and you know what a good driver is a good driver in whatever he chooses to race.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/26/15 at 1:15 AM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, VSneader2
7/26/15, 3:08 AM   #9
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Longtime

This year a new group has taken over the famous Thunder Valley Speedway in Salem Indiana. This is a small banked 1/5 mile race track. They have included a newer class of Midgets indorsed by PowrI called Division II Midgets. They are comprised of the 600cc-1200cc Mini Sprints and Midgets powered by the new 2400cc or smaller stock block automotive engines.

As we speak I think PowerI is operating a division down in Northern Florida and Southern Georgia as well as trying to put in place another group in Illinois.

The biggest difference in these cars and National Midgets will be the replacement of special engines and I hope expensive tires with more affordable pieces for the racer. They are still tweaking their rules to accomplish their goals and I wish them good luck in their efforts.

http://www.midwestd2midgets.com/

http://www.ssmidgets.com/

Honest Dad himself

One of the other things we hope to do with Division II Midget racing is not only cutting the cost to race a midget (Engine and Tires) but with a lower payout on top....WHAT!!!... Yes lower $$ up front. We have a couple of races coming up and they are only going to pay $500.00 to win but look what happens

1. $500
2. $400
3. $350
4. $325
5. $300
6. $280
7. $260
8. $240
9. $220
10.$200
11.$190
12.$180
13.$170
14.$160
15.$150 to start 20 cars = $4350
$100 to take a race green....

COMPARE To Another track or series

1st $700
2nd $500
3rd $350
4th $275
5th $250
6th $215
7th $200
8th $180
9th $165
10th $150
11th $145
12th $140
13th $135
14th $130
15th $125
16th $125
17th $125
18th $125
19th $125
20th $125 = $4285

21st + Tow Money

Close to the same payout yet 2 different ways of placing the $$

It cost the guy last the same amount to get to the track and to get in the track as it does the racer that wins. We at Division II fill keeping the $$ off the top will also help control the expense. We also understand that some could careless the $$ to win, they are they for the trophy and to kiss the girl and for this is why we will have such stringent rules. Yes it looks enticing to pay 1000.00 to win but 2nd place 400 3rd 300 10th 100 and 12th on back 50-75 $$$...we will see as we continue down this path and hope the D-2 movement will turn into D-2 Nation

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Last edited by Wayne Davis; 7/26/15 at 3:09 AM.

5 members like this post: cwfan08, DAD, jim goerge, red70racer, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car counts