IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just run the race please.
8/25/13, 11:29 AM   #21
Re: Just run the race please.
BrentTFunk

I think the kids and the novice fans enjoyed making a big deal out of the Smackdown. I had no problem and actually thought it was good. The young people are the future and we all need to get them interested. One other observation was when the race ended only a handful of people left. Most of the crowd stayed and listened to the interviews. That tells me most didn't feel the evening was dragged out, and were staying as long as they could. I guess its a sucessful event if the biggest problem is your whole show was over at 10:36.

8/25/13, 11:48 AM   #22
DWX 9929

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
I, also, get very frustrated with all of the screwing around some tracks do. Example, at Lawrenceburg a couple of Saturdays ago, they took about a 45min break to do the redraw for the top starting positions in the feature for 4 classes of cars. I know the promotor needs to break the action for a while to sell some product and give the crews a chance to get the cars ready for the feature but, the redraw is way too long and only involves a few kids drawing the numbers for the drivers.
I also am tired of announcers screaming into the mic at the fans while throwing T-shirts into the crowd or other assorted gimmicks. It would be nice if intermission was a quiet time so fans could visit with those around them more easily.

BTW, I hope I never see this at the track for entertainment!
Attached Images
6vsok.jpg (50.6 KB, 132 views)

2 members like this post: FishBurger, minispeed
8/25/13, 11:53 AM   #23
Jerry Shaw

We got out of there at a very respectable hour, so that's not the issue, IMO. Those parts of the show just seemed to drag a bit though, but that's probably more perception than reality. Last year we had Sean Buckley and Chris Nunn on the microphones. They connected and resonated with the audience very well. One of the main reasons is because both those guys live and breath our racing scene and are both very passionate in the way they describe the action. I don't have anything against Blake Anderson, but that part of the program definitely took a step down, this year. That's just one race fan's opinion, though.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/25/13 at 12:00 PM.

8/25/13, 12:24 PM   #24
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWX 9929 View Post
I also am tired of announcers screaming into the mic at the fans while throwing T-shirts into the crowd or other assorted gimmicks. It would be nice if intermission was a quiet time so fans could visit with those around them more easily.

BTW, I hope I never see this at the track for entertainment!
I agree! one nice intermission where they turn the mic off would be nice!

5 members like this post: bigq11, Charles Nungester, FishBurger, retired14, ronmil
8/25/13, 12:28 PM   #25
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
....One other observation was when the race ended only a handful of people left. Most of the crowd stayed and listened to the interviews.....
And the 50/50 draw. We had a vested interest in staying.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, PIT CART
8/25/13, 12:30 PM   #26
sprntr

I don't have a problem with long shows, I have a problem with dead time when nothing is happening & no one is being entertained. Anyway, I'd be afraid to come home from the races before 2 am. Wife might mistake me for a Burglar & shoot me.

steiny

6 members like this post: BeerCloud, cmakin, dickster, mowerman, racenut69, smith19
8/25/13, 1:26 PM   #27
BeerCloud

lol
im not sure what to make of this thread.
is this thread for real or a fun sarcastic thread to joke around in.

if this thread is for real:
Im not a novice or first time sprint car fan. Been seeing races all over the country for 41+ years. And i loved the way this race was done. Walkin the drivers in front of the fans, lining the cars up etc... I thought it brought back some old days feel to the race.
Seeing the kids high 5 the drivers as they walked by, was way kool. Ive seen peeps on this board complain about a possible aging fan base. Well there ya go. It was great racing and great fun. Nothing to whine about.

if this is a sarcastic fun thread:
Quiet time? Would ya like to be served some graham crackers and milk during your quiet time? And can we please get this race time down to say maybe...hmm 2 hrs or so. bout the time of a movie. Or better yet, how bout an hour. The time it takes to go out to dinner. You know, its where i can blow 50 bucks or so for me and the wife to eat an not be entertained. Please mr. race track, can you give me less entertainment for my money. Thanks
Last edited by BeerCloud; 8/25/13 at 1:28 PM.

8/25/13, 2:18 PM   #28
Onlydirt

This was an EVENT not just a race night folks. I thought it was as good as it could get. IT was a Saturday not a Sunday and they did a lot of extra stuff for the fans! The extra time it took was well worth it.

8/25/13, 2:23 PM   #29
monkeyboy

Indiana the only state where "fans" complain about going to a race.

Posted via Mobile Device

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cwfan08, dickster, HurstBros0, mowerman, Onlydirt
8/25/13, 2:26 PM   #30
robert gatten

Smackdown was great and all the extra stuff they did was very well done, and for a good cause. Reminded me of "the Western World" at Manzy. There the drivers were introduced in various ways and the crowd loved it. One I remember was the drivers were brought onto the track on a hay wagon, from the back stretch, and each one had on straw hats that them through into the stands when introduced, then walked to their cars. Crowd loved it and it took time but it was Manzy and no one complained because they knew a great race was about to be run..Last night was the same thing and a great race WAS run. I look forward to next years show and hope the "extra" stuff that went on from 12 noon till 10:30 at night gets bigger with more money raised for a very good cause. Thank You Kokomo Speedway

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just run the race please.