IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC at IRP cancelled.
5/19/13, 4:21 PM   #21
Re: USAC at IRP cancelled.
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Since when does the speedway go past six???? They never have before no matter what. How was USAC responsible for that? The fast nine thing is a bunch of BS and a slap in the face to almost 100 years of tradition. Remember, if it wasn't for USAC holding out for non-wings back in the day, you'd all get the "pleasure" of attending nothing but winged sprints.
Since when should what time the speedway closes affect the SC race? None of the other tracks(Paragon, LPS) delayed HOPING for fans to come over after a long day at IMS. There were no tstorms anywhere close when they called it. I was mowing my grass under clear skies not 5 miles from there at 4PM. Calling this race was wrong in so many ways I cant count them. The worst was pissing people off before Thursdays race. Kinda like kicking Sargent in the nuts dont you think. Not too smart to screw with the only promoter standing behind this series

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

5/19/13, 4:27 PM   #22
Midget 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Since when should what time the speedway closes affect the SC race? None of the other tracks(Paragon, LPS) delayed HOPING for fans to come over after a long day at IMS. There were no tstorms anywhere close when they called it. I was mowing my grass under clear skies not 5 miles from there at 4PM. Calling this race was wrong in so many ways I cant count them. The worst was pissing people off before Thursdays race. Kinda like kicking Sargent in the nuts dont you think. Not too smart to screw with the only promoter standing behind this series
Remember, John, this is USAC. With only 34 cars this year, we may not have to worry about the Speedway for long. Bump Day...to eliminate one car.

5/19/13, 4:32 PM   #23
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Does the Safety crew work at both IMS AND IRP (or whatever they call it now)?

Who else was supposed to work at both tracks?

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/19/13, 4:37 PM   #24
Midget 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Good point. That could have been the problem.

5/19/13, 5:41 PM   #25
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Since when does the speedway go past six???? They never have before no matter what. How was USAC responsible for that? The fast nine thing is a bunch of BS and a slap in the face to almost 100 years of tradition. Remember, if it wasn't for USAC holding out for non-wings back in the day, you'd all get the "pleasure" of attending nothing but winged sprints.
The track decided to go past 6 because (like in 2011) the rain put a hold on the Pole Day qualifying earlier in the day.

While I love the fact of who got the pole, I do agree with you that the Fast 9 thing is gimmicky as can be.

Also, if USAC had been thinking back in 1961, we might still have front engine cars in the 500 and by no means am I complaining about that image. If they were still front engine cars the National Championship Trail would still be around.

5/19/13, 6:08 PM   #26
Max Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Bill, there could have been TV production people, and even TV cameramen, that were going to try to work both events - just a guess on my part. Happened earlier this year when Must See Racing had a Sat to Sun rain delay, and lost people to the St. Pete Grand Prix on the same day. TV people committed to ESPN had to go to St Pete, and leave the Alabama Must See event.

5/19/13, 6:12 PM   #27
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I asked it as a question but I kind of already knew some of the answers.

I have top secret sources.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
5/19/13, 6:19 PM   #28
Vukie

Quote:
"Fourth day time trials - Sunday May 26

With the field filled to 25 cars (eight spots open), rain kept the cars off the track until late in the day. The final scheduled day of time trials ("Bump Day") was almost a complete wash out. The traditional 6 o'clock closing time came and went, and the track was still wet. Track crews continued to work, and the track opened for practice at 6:55 p.m. After the mandatory 30-minute practice session, the track opened for time trials at 7:31 p.m.

With overcast skies and darkness looming, three cars made attempts. Bill Puterbaugh and Bill Cheesbourg completed runs, while Bobby Johns spun on his second warm up lap. At that time, officials deemed the conditions unsafe due to darkness, and postponed the remainder of qualifying until Monday morning.[3]
Time trials - Monday May 27

For the first time since 1952, time trials was pushed into a fifth day. Officials ruled that all 25 cars that were in the starting field at 6 p.m. Sunday May 26 were "locked in" and could not be bumped. In addition, all cars that were in line to qualify Sunday evening at 7:54 p.m. were eligible to make one qualifying attempt on Monday. Only cars that qualified after 6 p.m. on Sunday evening were subject to bumping (including Puterbaugh and Cheesbourg).

Ronnie Bucknum was reinstated to the field when it was determined that during his inspection, the scale used to weight the car was defective.[4] With Bucknum's car back in the field, only seven spots were now available.

Though rain hampered the day, the qualifying was successfully completed on Monday. A frantic session saw two crashes (Bob Hurt and Rick Muther). Eighteen cars took to the track to fill the seven open spots. Both Puterbaugh and Cheesebourg were bumped, and Mike Mosley was the fastest of the day. Jim Hurtubise qualified his front-engined Mallard for 30th starting position. It would be the final front-engined car to qualify for the Indy 500."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Indianapolis_500

In 1979 they had a qualifying session the day before the race.

The 500 has had several different qualifying formats since 1911. At one point it was 10 lap format not four laps.

So much for the Donald Davidson's of this board.

2 members like this post: Blackduce
5/19/13, 6:23 PM   #29
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Or

Posted via Mobile Device

5/19/13, 6:39 PM   #30
RACEMS41

Quote:
Originally Posted by max revs View Post
bill, there could have been tv production people, and even tv cameramen, that were going to try to work both events - just a guess on my part. Happened earlier this year when must see racing had a sat to sun rain delay, and lost people to the st. Pete grand prix on the same day. Tv people committed to espn had to go to st pete, and leave the alabama must see event.
Sorry I don't buy that line of thinking. If that was the case delay for awhile and wait. I would have been real upset if I towed all the way in from New York and saw clear skys and the race was cancelled.
How about some contingency planning?..... I forgot this is the new USAC.
Rain date....oops forgot again the new USAC at work.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC at IRP cancelled.