IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing news of 2012
12/28/12, 5:39 PM   #11
Re: Racing news of 2012
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

2012 offered us some great racing. The top story for me was the Smackdown @ Kokomo. The anticipation was well worth the wait as the racing was top notch. The O'Connor family deserves so much credit for making this an "Event".

Second for me was seeing a true short track star qualify and start the Indianapolis 500. Bryan was a bright spot that I hope continues to shine at the big track. I also hope to see some more of his short track buddies be able to do the same.

Third was the outstanding show at the Mini Mile @ Duquoin. This place seems to bring out the best in the competitors and is the top indoor facility I have ever been to. I haven't seen a bad show there ever.

For 2013 I would say that I am most looking forward to the Illinois Midget Week. Four nights of racing on some really good midget tracks. Then we can head for home and view the action of Indiana Midget Week.

Second for me would be the early season midget show @ Kokomo. If this comes together like I know it can, we should be in for some great midget racing here in the Hoosier state.

Third would have to be the increased number of supermodified shows in the midwest this year. I hope that we can continue to see more in the coming years. Must See Extreme Racing and Midwest Supermodified Association put on excellent shows.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

12/28/12, 5:44 PM   #12
robert gatten

seeing my grandson in the famous #69 Hoffman equipment and just being able to attend sprint car races back in Indiana after a health problem.
2013 i just hope to be able to see as many sprint shows as possible and hope nine eight motorsports has a great year.

12/28/12, 6:03 PM   #13
FishBurger

Like Bob above, I was happy just to survive the 2012 season. My "widowmaker" event forced me to miss all of Indiana Midget Week, most of Indiana Sprint Week, the Smackdown, and kept me close to home for what remained of the '12 racing season.

For 2013, my plan is to hit the road again for the "fur aways", many of them I hope, with my buddy Gregg. And, of course, I expect to resume bugging my friend Rudy from my Section "A" perch. My intended goal being an opportunity to extend in person "Thanks You's" to all in the racing community who hung with me and, I'm sure, were contributing factors in my survival. Can't wait!

12/28/12, 6:08 PM   #14
eric

two words Kyle Larson

12/28/12, 6:11 PM   #15
cws9

Highlight for me was Robert Ballou winning at Grain Valley, Mo. I volunteered to be a mud scraper for this night. I also went down and bought him a new Right Rear tire. I told him that if he won I wanted to be in the pictures on the front straight. After a great battle of back and forth with Jon Stanbrough, he pulled off the victory. My picture was on USAC's website for weeks after that. I think I made Hosehead's also! LOL.

I went up to Cameron the following night and promised him if he did well there then I would go on to Oskaloosa with him beings I was the good luck charm. Well, we ended up changing out the motor between the heat and main just getting it in with no time to spare. The good luck had worn off.

It was still a bright spot on my year. Couple that with me finishing a career high 2nd place in a main with our local lightning sprint club.....and it was a pretty good year for this old man.

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: FishBurger, itsanonwingthing, koolaid89, Obie, PJ Wright
12/28/12, 6:16 PM   #16
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBurger View Post
Like Bob above, I was happy just to survive the 2012 season. My "widowmaker" event forced me to miss all of Indiana Midget Week, most of Indiana Sprint Week, the Smackdown, and kept me close to home for what remained of the '12 racing season.

For 2013, my plan is to hit the road again for the "fur aways", many of them I hope, with my buddy Gregg. And, of course, I expect to resume bugging my friend Rudy from my Section "A" perch. My intended goal being an opportunity to extend in person "Thanks You's" to all in the racing community who hung with me and, I'm sure, were contributing factors in my survival. Can't wait!
Marv, without question... you are part of my 2012 best and worst.

How about we just stick with the best for 2013!!

I'll try to do my part if you will...

5 members like this post: Danny Burton, FishBurger, jim goerge, Mud Packer, racefan20
12/28/12, 7:36 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yup, Marv 500 was definately full of suspense, With the best finish ever!

2 members like this post: FishBurger, smith19
12/28/12, 9:38 PM   #18
Roy Bleckert

Looking forward to Orange Show Speedway in Kaly returning to Dirt in 2013 after 48 years of Tar

12/28/12, 10:03 PM   #19
Andrew S. Quinn

The Smackdown was the most anticipated race of the season for me,and it didnt let me down at all!

I like the P-ville Thursday night races as well. I wonder if once a month on Thursday night would have been a better choice?

Cant believe no one has mentioned Chase Stockon having a pretty decent year running USAC against the best they have to offer,and even beating the best they have to offer! That has to be a pretty big story for the year in itself.

2013 has the Smackdown again on the top of my list,just because Kokomo has great sprint car racing there.I only missed one night of sprint car racing there this season,and I questioned my sanity on that night. As it turned out,Kyle Larson and Rico Abreau had a heck of a race at US 36 in midgets the one night I missed Kokomo.

High on the list for 2013 is Illinois Midget week,which I can do with just taking one day off work. I've been waiting for an Illinois midget week since I have been watching the POWRi races since I moved here in 2006.POWRi has good racing wherever they go,and thats why I am a fairly frequent visitor to Illinois,and beyond.

Also on the list is the 2 day USAC-POWRi weekend at Little Belleville. Both series teaming up for a race at my favorite tack to watch midgets race on. I cant wait! I also cant miss the Arnie Knepper Memorial race there during the fair. The 2012 edition saw a stellar drive from Rico Abreau from leading the race to spinning out and restarting at the rear,and driving thru for the win! One of my top 5 races for the year.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 12/28/12 at 10:15 PM.

12/28/12, 10:12 PM   #20
wvwildthg

2012 Being a first time car owner and winning the BOSS -OTS race in (Canada) New Humberstone speedway...
2013 Looking forward to the BOSS series and Having lil better luck this year...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing news of 2012