View Single Post
11/3/22, 7:05 PM   #43
Re: Western World qualifying
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
No, because I love racing. A sport of meritocracy and earning glory. Laps are (almost) never nauseating to me. I watch every day, every minute of Indy 500 practice, for instance. (Yeah, I'm a nerd. )

No offense (because most local shows are this way), but if you have to start the fast guys on the tail, then your field of competitors is either weak, or at the least, the variation between the "haves" and "have-nots" is a wide chasm. And that is fine and dandy if you're not a national touring series; if you are, then the competition should be somewhat close throughout the field. Then everyone involved asks the question, "What's a fair way to line everyone up for these races?". Qualifying.

How fair would it be to see Dalton Kellett and Jay Howard lead the field in to turn 1 at the Indianapolis 500, only to see them wipe out *actual* contenders for the win. Or how about Daytona? Don't you think most every team wants to qualify up front in order to avoid "the big one"?

Big time racing and qualifying go hand in hand; handicapping (or any random system) is covering up some type of shortcoming.
I’m guessing the fact that most nites not all but most nites it’s the same group timing up front are the halves? and the rest of the field are the have nots?? You can spin this any way you want and so can I. To TT isn’t covering up shortcomings it’s exposing them by showing guys who can’t chase a stopwatch.

Please help me out on the year, but I think using TT for Indy got Kevin Cogan up front one year and they didn’t even make turn one. The big one reference is amusing to me as almost always when there is one it has nothing at all to do with who timed where and who is an “actual contender”. These also being series events that are determined by if you parked in your square for pit stop correctly, to lose a race you dominate because you exit the pit too fast, or too many guys over the wall. That’s big time racing? Again I’m not a historian but you can spin it anyway you like.

Let’s agree to disagree. As you admitted about being a nerd, god bless ya if you watch all of those meaningless laps for Indy. I’d love to have half of that time to go watch sprint cars.