IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #31 1/22/13 11:00 PM
It would be the Nationals again.....
CRA91 (Offline)
  #32 1/22/13 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by racephoto1:
WOW 90 races! Big deal, check how many Larson has run this year. As for the purse, I still don't think if it was the same as the nationals they'd run. WoO would make sure of that.

As for wingless guys and halfs.They run Eldora, Terre Haute, The Burg(weekly deal, and it's a lot closer to a half than a 3/8's). Also a bunch of the guys run the miles with Champ dirt cars, so the argument about big tracks is weak at best.

The biggest problem is lack of cash. As everyone knows, the big tracks are harder on stuff, tires, drivelines,motors and the like. The bigger the joint, the longer your on the gas. But if the money is big enough they run.

The Knoxville deal is nice to ponder, but it ain't gonna happen.
It's a whole lot easier to run Kyle's schedule when all you got to do is get on a airplane and not have to worry about getting the race car there plus do maintenance on it.Believe me I've done it before and it about kills you.

Terry James Jr.
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #33 1/23/13 12:20 AM
Done it for a long time, There was nothing like running a dirt race on Saturday night, drive to Salem, wash the car, change bars and head to the track.

As for Kyle, not all the guys do their own work, have helmet bag will travel. It just that the amount you race is no big deal, it's a job. I do mine 5 to 6 days a week, Puts that 90 times in perspective , doesn't it.
CRA91 (Offline)
  #34 1/23/13 2:52 PM
Done it for a long time, There was nothing like running a dirt race on Saturday night, drive to Salem, wash the car, change bars and head to the track.

As for Kyle, not all the guys do their own work, have helmet bag will travel. It just that the amount you race is no big deal, it's a job. I do mine 5 to 6 days a week, Puts that 90 times in perspective , doesn't it.
It's a job alright,full of 16 to 20 hour days 7 days a week when you're traveling and racing full time for a living,not seeing home for month's at a time,so I feel what Kyle did versus someone who has to haul the race car everywhere plus work on it and race it doesn't even compare.And I'm talking about racing all over the country,not just a couple of states in close proximity.We used to run the eqivolent of Sprint week 4 or 5 races everyweek for months on end and drove a total of 62 thousand miles one season,now if you would've used Frankie Kerr as your example,I'd be in total agreement with you.You say you do your job 5 to 6 days a week,now let me ask you this,do you work double shifts everyday?Put's that 90 times in perspective,doesn't it.

Terry James Jr.
Rex W. (Offline)
  #35 1/23/13 4:04 PM
Damn home run Terry!!

Posted via Mobile Device
c47 (Offline)
  #36 1/23/13 4:54 PM
If the nationals decided to go wingless, no matter what the purse, it would HAVE to be WoO sanctioned cause if not, they will find a way to screw the guys over that ran it. and im not even sure knoxville is WoO sanctioned now....its been, then not been....and that part doesnt interest me anyway.
now.....during an interview with kinser just before the mopar million, he was asked if he was gonna run.....his response was, with a smile, "i think we have a race that night".....does sponsorship play into this? if a sponsor puts up the money and wants their driver to win the WoO championship and not race anything but WoO shows.....and knoxville was non winged and non sanctioned.....the driver would be forced to sit and watch.....so i think, at least for a few, its a sponsorship issue as to why they wont run anything but WoO shows.
i agree with a previous post.....the smackdown is shaping up to be the non wing nationals.....and im good wit dat
cmp (Offline)
  #37 1/23/13 6:46 PM
Originally Posted by CRA91:
It's a whole lot easier to run Kyle's schedule when all you got to do is get on a airplane and not have to worry about getting the race car there plus do maintenance on it.Believe me I've done it before and it about kills you.
No different than when LeLand Flew in For You & Your Dad, or Reids #6 or Fred and Sam Bailey,or Gurney Racing for NARC Points & Flying in to race Loius Seymor in USAC of Course You cant Work on the Car & race Both Series, so not sure the implications "Easier for Kyle"
CRA91 (Offline)
  #38 1/23/13 6:57 PM
Originally Posted by cmp:
No different than when LeLand Flew in For You & Your Dad, or Reids #6 or Fred and Sam Bailey,or Gurney Racing for NARC Points & Flying in to race Loius Seymor in USAC of Course You cant Work on the Car & race Both Series, so not sure the implications "Easier for Kyle"
Big difference,yes Lealand would fly back to the mid-west and meet us there,but once there he traveled with us and helped work on the race car everyday and didn't sleep till noon while we were busting our a$$. Some of these kids racing today could learn awhole lot from that man!

Just like when him and Hewitt flipped at Eldora,he was out in the parking lot with us the next day helping to build a new car,do think that Kyle was down at Hoffmans Helping them to build a new car after his crash at Eldora? Here again there is no comparison.
I'm now done with this pissing match!

Terry James Jr.
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #39 1/23/13 7:17 PM
Let's see, I work nine to 5 in Indy, hop in my car, drive to Bloomington, get there by 6:15. Leave Bloomington midnight. Then drive over night to Springfield ,Illinois. Go to sleep at 4, get up at 6;30. Shoot Springfield, leave there at 3. Drive straight through to the Burg, get there at 8. Shoot till 11. Get home at about 1.

On Sunday , get up at 9,( sorry, I slept in a little), do my website. Leave for Kokomo, get there at 5, shoot till around 10,( lucky for me , Kokomo bangs their shows out) Get home about 11;30. Work for the papers I work for until about 1 am. Get up at 6 Monday morning to go back to the 9 to 5. Been doing this as long as I can remember.

Also, if my brother shows up at the track, I toss in a hand on the car.

A racers life isn't any different then mine. They're not gods, just guys who pick a different line of work for a job. No , I never drove one, no desire. Been working on them since 1977. I can remember 52 shows one year, just with USAC. That doesn't include the local stuff I also did.

Like I said to me , it's just a job, NO BIG DEAL.
CRA91 (Offline)
  #40 1/23/13 8:37 PM
Let's see, I work nine to 5 in Indy, hop in my car, drive to Bloomington, get there by 6:15. Leave Bloomington midnight. Then drive over night to Springfield ,Illinois. Go to sleep at 4, get up at 6;30. Shoot Springfield, leave there at 3. Drive straight through to the Burg, get there at 8. Shoot till 11. Get home at about 1.

On Sunday , get up at 9,( sorry, I slept in a little), do my website. Leave for Kokomo, get there at 5, shoot till around 10,( lucky for me , Kokomo bangs their shows out) Get home about 11;30. Work for the papers I work for until about 1 am. Get up at 6 Monday morning to go back to the 9 to 5. Been doing this as long as I can remember.

Also, if my brother shows up at the track, I toss in a hand on the car.

A racers life isn't any different then mine. They're not gods, just guys who pick a different line of work for a job. No , I never drove one, no desire. Been working on them since 1977. I can remember 52 shows one year, just with USAC. That doesn't include the local stuff I also did.

Like I said to me , it's just a job, NO BIG DEAL.
Well sir,I commend you then on all your hard work and I'm sorry if you feel like I called you out.
You know as well as I do that there are people who come on these boards and talk smack about things that they have no idea of the time and effort it takes to race,obviously you are not one of them and I now know that and next time I will respond accordingly.
And by no means do I think that I'm a god for doing what I do,quite the contrary,I feel very fortunate to have been able to have a career for the past 33yrs doing what I love and a lot of people are not that lucky to love their job.

Have a nice evening

Terry James Jr.