IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
UberKuhlMan (Offline)
  #1 1/20/13 10:42 PM
This is sure to rustle some feathers. What if? For one year, they run the Knoxville Raceway Nationals WITHOUT wings? What do you all think?

Personally, I'm partial to non wings, as most of the people on this site probably are. I just wanted to see what people had to say and wanted to see some of your thoughts.
8 Likes: billwill7, ffrid, JackSam40, OTSNWR, rdzsprint, Sprint car fan, Ty, wvwildthg
etpro43 (Offline)
  #2 1/20/13 10:52 PM
It would be great, but with that said the crowd at Knoxville doesn't support wingless...
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #3 1/20/13 10:57 PM
Save your breath! My August "must see" is the Kokomo Smackdown. These 3 days are simply the best three days in a row for non wing sprint car racing anywhere.
7 Likes: Micro 11, Midget 89, racing2bwithu2, Russell Ficklin, SOROKACH35FAN, speed bump, tim brown
Quick Change (Offline)
  #4 1/20/13 11:03 PM
I went to 20 Knoxville Nationals without wings, 1961-1981, for some reason they ran wings in 1973. Knoxville was just too big and fast to continue without wings at that time. A lot of bad stuff happened during this time. After the Gary Scott fatality in 1982 wings have been the norm at Knoxville. I know people that stopped going because they didn't like wings. Now most people there wouldn't go if they didn't run wings. Crowds were never very good the few times they ran wingless since.
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #5 1/20/13 11:29 PM
It would be great, but will never happen. Wings are cool too, in my opinion. I would love it of they could incorporate both somehow. I don't have a clue how that could be done, though.

Posted via Mobile Device

For those about to rock, we salute you.
TQ97 (Offline)
  #6 1/20/13 11:47 PM
They have the 360 nationals right before, why not add 3 more days for non wing nationals?

Posted via Mobile Device
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #7 1/21/13 12:31 AM
Problem is Kinser, Swindell, Schatz, and the rest of the WOO wouldn't run top less if they had to. Without them would it really be a nationals?

You want thee best of the best there, and only the wingless driving half would be there, not the winged driver half.
old time Hoosier (Offline)
  #8 1/21/13 1:55 AM
Originally Posted by UberKuhlMan:
This is sure to rustle some feathers. What if? For one year, they run the Knoxville Raceway Nationals WITHOUT wings? What do you all think?

Personally, I'm partial to non wings, as most of the people on this site probably are. I just wanted to see what people had to say and wanted to see some of your thoughts.
No doubt that the wingless sprint cars put on a better display of driver abilities but the Knoxville fan base are jaded and without wings the gate would suffer. When the USAC sprints ran Knoxville two years ago it was among the best sprint car races ever held at Knoxville with a lot of passing and two and three abreast racing through the corners, and this is just the opinion of an old man who has seen wingless, winged and CAGELESS sprint cars.
5 Likes: billwill7, Copperhead, D.L. 122, fish, Midget 89
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #9 1/21/13 2:05 AM
Chris, I think you forget that Sammy Won a Non-Wing race there just a few years ago and I watched the King take the Wing off and spank the CRA boys at Eldora in 1990. More guys would than you think when the money is up for grabs! Haud, Stevie Smith, even Saldana may give it a go. The best Winged Drivers make great Non-Wing drivers. It has been proven many times.

Posted via Mobile Device
4 Likes: fish, Midget 89, nathans1012, r_harper
sprinter14 (Offline)
  #10 1/21/13 2:09 AM
If this were to happen, I'd be sure the BOSS non wing series was not only off that night, I would try to help my top 10 in points attend.

And as far as Kinser, Schatz, etc not attending and "would it be a nationals?" ....... heck yeah it would .......... it'd be open to anyone BRAVE enough to run without the wing.

Problem would be that the winged groups would see it as a threat and schedule races that night just to keep their stars away from this show.