IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown Awards
7/2/13, 6:47 PM   #1
2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown Awards
Andrew S. Quinn

Last year on very short notice we came up with the idea of "Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown awards",in which we were able to raise $1000.37 and hand out to 10 different winners in categories we dreamed up,at the Kokomo Smackdown.

Since then I have been asked many times if we are going to do it again this year,and people have suggested we get the word out a bit earlier in hoping to raise even more cash to hand out once again,at the 2013 Kokomo Smackdown after the A-main on Saturday night. The answer is,YES we are!

Monica Clauson asked me a couple weeks ago to get the bucket that Jerry Spencer give us last year to collect money with last year. She wanted to get it decorated for this year. That was no problem,as I had thrown the bucket in the van a few weeks ago,and I was waiting to catch up with Bill Gardner to get some Indiana Open Wheel decals to put on the bucket. All the rainouts we've had this year have slowed the progress in catching up with Bill until a couple weekends ago,and even though we got rained out that night,he stopped by on the hill to chat with us.

I asked Bill for some decals for the Smackdown bucket,and he gladly gave us the decals,and is also the first guy to donate to the cause himself!

So if you'd like to donate,then look for "Camp Clauson" at the local speedways,as Monica has the bucket with her,and they'll have it out at every stop they go to onwards to the Smackdown. That includes Sprintweek etc,in case there are some traveling fans that would like to donate to the cause.Or,you can always look me up as well,and quite often I travel out of state a bit more than Bob & Monica do. You can always send me a message here if you are wondering where I will be in between now and the Smackdown.

Much like last year we'll be handing out 10 different "Awards" Last yr that equated to $100 cash to every driver that won an award,and one lucky driver won an extra $.37 on top of that. We're open for suggestions for this years awards.

Here's the original post with the idea https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=62258
And here's the winners of last years awards https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=62434
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 7/2/13 at 6:54 PM.

7/2/13, 6:48 PM   #2
Re: 2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown Awards
Andrew S. Quinn

And here is the the first donation from Indiana Open Wheel's Bill Gardner

7/2/13, 7:03 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Put another Bucket over at "The Frolic" Bar and Grill. You'll either double it, or they'll drink it all. Either way it will be fun!

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, racegal
7/2/13, 7:10 PM   #4
Andrew S. Quinn

That is a good idea,Chuck,and I have thought of that in the past,but honestly I havent seen the Frolic out and about that much this year. If its ok with them,its fine by me. The more money that gets raised,the more money each driver gets.

Last yr I opened the ante with $20 to start,and then put in the remainder to get to an even thousand,and Monica threw in the .37 cents. This year I am throwing in $100.00. I've had extra time to save up a few $$ and break open my change bucket for the difference. I'll get a photo when I throw it in the bucket.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 7/2/13 at 7:11 PM.

7/2/13, 8:51 PM   #5
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Last years' awards are listed below, with a few suggestions. It is good that we have time to both raise more money and have a good, healthy discussion of the awards. Great job, Andrew. Hope there is actually a race sometime soon so we can all go to "Camp Clauson" to donate.

1) 2012 - In memory of "Sprinter" to the driver that finished 13th in the A-main.

2013 Suggestion - Unfortunately, we have an opportunity to present this award in 2013 in the memory of two drivers of a car #13, the Jesse Hockett/Jason Leffler award. How fitting to remember two drivers who thrilled us so many times in Indiana and around America.

2) 2012 - In memory of Corey Martin better known as "Petey", a former poster here on IOW that passed away last year. Petey's birthday was the other day, and he would have been 35, so we picked 35th in points after Thursday and Friday nights races were totaled up.

3) 2012 - Peoples choice award. 2013 suggestion - Keep

4) 2012 - Lucky 7 in the B-main award to the first non qualifier from the B main. 2013 suggestion - Keep

5) 2012 - Last place finisher in the A-main award.

6) 2012 - Lucky 7 in the A-main award.

7) 2012 - Best looking car. 2013 suggestion - Keep

8) 2012 - The Bill Gardner not giving up award. 2013 suggestion – Absolutely KEEP.

9) 2012 Hard Charger award. We decided to base this award on who passed the most cars in the A-main. 2013 suggestion – Keep. I’m not sure whether it would better to base this on the most positions improved in Saturday’s “A” main, most total positions improved on Thursday and Friday night, most positions improved throughout the three nights, or something I haven’t thought of.

10) 2012 - Hard Luck award. 2013 suggestion – Keep

Additional 2013 suggestion – Provide an award for the driver coming the farthest distance. This could either be for someone who was in their regular ride (i.e. longest tow) or just the driver who came the longest distance, regardless of whether he was in his regular car or a more local one.
Last edited by dirtnonwingfan; 7/2/13 at 8:54 PM.

7/2/13, 9:46 PM   #6
reeserx

How about a award for best wheelie or something in memory of josh burton?

Posted via Mobile Device

7/3/13, 3:47 PM   #7
The Frolic

We would be more than happy to help any way we can with the donations and or a bucket being set at the bar. But just remember, our responsibility traits get weaker as the night progresses. You haven't seen the bar out much this year, but we've been there, disguised as sober race fans. Our presence will be felt next week.

3 members like this post: dickster, Koonzee, Onlydirt
7/3/13, 6:01 PM   #8
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Here is the picture of Camp Clauson look for it at local tracks near you.

7/3/13, 6:03 PM   #9
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Here is what the bucket looks like.

7/4/13, 9:00 AM   #10
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frolic View Post
We would be more than happy to help any way we can with the donations and or a bucket being set at the bar. But just remember, our responsibility traits get weaker as the night progresses. You haven't seen the bar out much this year, but we've been there, disguised as sober race fans. Our presence will be felt next week.
Thanks for the offer. Do you guys have any Frolic decals we can put on the bucket as well??

1 member likes this post: racegal
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2013 Indiana Open Wheel Smackdown Awards