IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Kokomo Smackdown IOW awards....
8/26/12, 12:33 PM   #1
The Kokomo Smackdown IOW awards....
Andrew S. Quinn

With a lot of help from the readers here at IOW and also the fans at Kokomo Speedway, we were able to raise $1000.00 and hand out awards in 10 different categories of $100.00 cash,to each of the drivers.

These are the categories,and the winners of each category.The categories,and the winners of each were decided by a vote to try and be unbiased on who won what.

In memory of "Sprinter" to the driver that finished 13th in the A-main. "Sprinter was Aero's beagle that passed away last summer at age 13.We wanted to give the 13th place finisher in the A-main an award in his memory Winner of that award was Scotty Weir.

In memory of Corey Martin better known as "Petey",a former poster here on IOW that passed away last year. Petey's birthday was the other day,and he would have been 35,so we picked 35th in points after Thursday and Friday nights races were totaled up,and the winner of that award was Chase Briscoe

Peoples choice award. We polled a lot of people on who they would like to see win this award,and the winner was Chase Stockon.

Lucky 7 in the B-main award. We decided to give the first non qualifier from the B main,an award,and the winner of that award was Josh Spencer.

Last place finisher in the A-main award. Winner of the award was Chase Stockon.This award paid a little bit more than the others. $100.37 to be exact!

Lucky 7 in the A-main award. To go with the Lucky 7 in the B-main award,we gave one to the 7th place finisher in the A-main. Winner of the Lucky 7 in the A-main award Shane Cottle.

Best looking car. Winner of the Best looking car award Chase Stockon

The Bill Gardner not giving up award. Originally this was going to be a Lucky 7 in the C-main award,but they didnt have a C-main. We had to come up with another award while sitting in the stands,and came up with the idea for a not giving up award. While walking around during a break in the action,it was suggested we call it the Bill Gardner not giving up award. We thought it was a great idea. The winner of the Bill Gardner not giving up award was Chris Gurley

Hard Charger award. We decided to base this award on who passed the most cars in the A-main. The winner of the Hard Charger award is Levi Jones

Hard Luck award. This award was the most difficult one to decide. We decided after some discussion to give the hard luck award to Robert Ballou

I handed out all the awards last night with the exception of the Hard Charger award,and the Hard luck award. I have both of these awards,and will hold onto them until I get to see both Levi Jones,and Robert Ballou to give them their $100.00

Thanks to everyone that donated,and or helped out to make this a reality. We were all very happy to achieve the goal of raising $1000.00 on fairly short notice.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/26/12 at 8:08 PM.

8/26/12, 12:47 PM   #2
Re: The Kokomo Smackdown IOW awards....
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Andrew,

Thanks for spearheading this effort. I am sure that the drivers were pleased to get some extra cash and recognition. With some more time, next year should be even better.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/26/12, 1:07 PM   #3
Andrew S. Quinn

[IMG][/IMG]

Lucky 7 in the A-main Shane Cottle

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

[IMG][/IMG]
In memory of Sprinter 13th place finisher Scotty Weir

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

[IMG][/IMG]
Bill Gardner I'm not giving up award Chris Gurley

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

[IMG][/IMG]
In memory of Corey "Petey" Martin Chase Briscoe

---------- Post added at 1:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

[IMG][/IMG]
Lucky 7 in the B-main Josh Spencer

---------- Post added at 1:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:01 PM ----------

[IMG][/IMG]

Best looking car
Last place in the A-main
Peoples choice Chase Stockon (and his biggest fan)
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/26/12 at 1:09 PM.

8/26/12, 1:17 PM   #4
IndyBound

Andrew,

Congratulations on having a great idea and pulling this off, some how I think I probably had the pleasure of meeting some of those that contributed to your idea when I was in Indiana in May.

I was touched by the award in memory of "Sprinter", I also lost my beagle "Dave" last year in Oct. he would have been 13 on Dec. 14th; that award really warmed my heart.

The Bill Gardner not giving up award also touched me, Bill has given all of us so much here on this board during some rather difficult times in his life.

Thank you for having a great idea Andrew and helping to put some extra cash in the pockets of the racers.

Patti

8/26/12, 6:00 PM   #5
mortboyz

Everyone will recognize the handsome Josh Spencer in the 5th photo, but who in the hell was that next to him???

Very nice work this weekend my friend

8/26/12, 6:06 PM   #6
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post
Everyone will recognize the handsome Josh Spencer in the 5th photo, but who in the hell was that next to him???

Very nice work this weekend my friend
Just someone we found that wanted to give away some money.If you had been there we would have gotten you to do the honors !!

2 members like this post: racing4aman
8/26/12, 7:38 PM   #7
SprintManDave

Thanks for organizing these awards Andrew,it was very thoughtful.

8/26/12, 8:06 PM   #8
streetglider

Does anybody have a breakdown of the purse for Saturday night?

8/26/12, 8:10 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
Does anybody have a breakdown of the purse for Saturday night?
The purse for these awards was exactly $1000.37 paid in cash.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, I Miss Manzy
8/26/12, 8:37 PM   #10
streetglider

Thanx Andrew but i was talking about the actual Smackdown Purse. I know it paid 1k to start but im curious what the 2nd-5th payout was

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Kokomo Smackdown IOW awards....