Register! Forgot Password?
AP64 (Offline)
  #11 8/20/09 11:54 AM
1. No tire rules, open tires
2. Car and driver 1100 lbs
ThrottleHead (Offline)
  #12 8/20/09 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Knoke77:

This should get interesting. Definitely agree that costs need controlled. Good luck with that!

<goes to find some popcorn>
I am with you there. Is there a seat beside you Jake?? Sharing the popcorn?

It seems to me for controlling engine costs.... getting away from high compression and titanium parts is a real good start. 12:1 or lower for compression. Maybe titanium is needed in certain areas of the engine for durability..... I am sure someone can enlighten us on this.
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #13 8/20/09 12:37 PM
Ok i'll say this again! 1st one car specs to race pavement and dirt! As you say combo car! 2nd 11 too 1 compression rule! 3rd used a mag. No electric boxs with tracksion control or fuel injection! 4th 8" wide wheel on rt & lf rears 6" fronts! 5th american steel blocks 4 cly.engines like a sesco engine chevy ford chr. Blocks alum. Head fi.! 6th limit the off set in rear and front axels! Then lets go real midget racing!
slide22 (Offline)
  #14 8/20/09 2:47 PM
what is the current weight rule for USAC midgets?
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #15 8/20/09 2:47 PM
Hey... the DUKER goes to the front of the class!!!

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

The current weight rule is: 900 lbs car only. Steve Stroud o f St. Louis has posted on here and MM regarding a combined minimum weight of driver and car. I hope he posts his theory on this thread again.
AP64 (Offline)
  #16 8/20/09 3:14 PM
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE:
Ok i'll say this again! 1st one car specs to race pavement and dirt! As you say combo car! 2nd 11 too 1 compression rule! 3rd used a mag. No electric boxs with tracksion control or fuel injection! 4th 8" wide wheel on rt & lf rears 6" fronts! 5th american steel blocks 4 cly.engines like a sesco engine chevy ford chr. Blocks alum. Head fi.! 6th limit the off set in rear and front axels! Then lets go real midget racing!
There it is, you have your series. Only one rule, you have to run a car that was built before 1975. Way to go, good luck getting a good car count. I think you are being a little unrealistic. That's the reason for my sarcastic comment.
buck2 (Offline)
  #17 8/20/09 3:19 PM
Duke, Whats the advantage to a steel block? Really costly to cut down and machine a V-8 to make into a 4. Can't save 'em when they ventilate. I don't see the cost savings.
Most contemporary production fours are all aluminum, if your idea is to have a junkyard formula.
An Esslinger block with a grapefruit size hole in it can be repaired for significantly less than machining up a junkyard 2300 Ford block. Ditto if it were a Fontana (alum)/Chevy II (iron) or some other iron block compared to a Gaerte, Stanton etc.
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #18 8/20/09 3:24 PM
I don't think we are going to see steel blocks again for a midget.
pgray (Offline)
  #19 8/20/09 3:33 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:

The class is called "DEVELOPING A COST EFFICIENT MIDGET PROGRAM".

A) The assignment is to come up with one or more ways that will result in a cost efficient midget.

B) Even one suggestion is allowed.

C) If you do some research, you will find that most or all the answers are right here on IOW.

Don , it is doubtful that your "students" could possibly receive this assignment with any measure of interest , enthusiasm or energy going forward.
And can you blame them ?

Most will recognize the subject matter as previously and exhaustively hashed in spirited open discussion on any number of occasions in past classes. Few received a passing grade.
In fairness , you could agree that the majority have in deed shown the capacity to properly identify the problems , and for that matter , even the solutions.
It is not their fault , or yours , that literally none of those suggested solutions will make it pass your classroom.

Your class members have had a very eventful summer and are in need of a very deserved break !

I would remind you that they have already worked very hard in the past days and weeks ...
Let's not forget the complete and thorough trashing that was given to Leon Haupt ... We've recently taken Dakota Armstrong over the coals ... SCORA wasn't cut any slack ... Provided Kemper Arena Midgets with an abundance of pre-event exposure ... hell , we're even back to trashing Gold Crown before it begins !
Just completed yesterday was your assignment in bringing awareness to your Dean of USAC having completed 21 months of his 36 month term and wondering what he's been doing. Now that was a tough one to work thru ... everyone get's an " A " - except Spridge. And how could we ever forget John Memmer !? Boy , did he ever take a ass whippin' here for scratching his nuts publicly !

They've all been great projects , I'm sure all would agree !?

:2:
Class is Dismissed.
cmiracingvids (Offline)
  #20 8/20/09 3:40 PM
To me, midget racing is all but finished. In my own personal opinion, just run 1200cc mini sprints wingless. That's a cost effective replacement for a midget...plenty of engines and chassis around. Clutch and chain drive will keep costs down and the show moving. USAC already backs a 1/4 midget series...why not mini sprints? 10 midgets showed up at Salem. 10!!! That's pathetic. Again, just my opinion.
2 Likes: Jim Gardner, Ovalmeister