IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
RACrappieman (Offline)
  #11 9/17/22 2:05 PM
For reference, I’ve sat in a different location each time I’ve been there, which totals 4 times I believe. This time I was about 3/4 of the way up very near the press box. My entire reason for sitting in this location was to hopefully avoid getting hit by rocks, but no dice. I wonder if a call to Tom Helfrich at Tri-State Speedway would help the folks at Circle City find a solution. In my opinion there isn’t a better racing surface in Indiana than Haubstadt.
4 Likes: DirtTrackTherapy16J, oppweld, rdzsprint, tirespinner
DirtTrackTherapy16J (Offline)
  #12 9/17/22 2:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
Going to need some help from the farmers/construction guys, but I am 90% sure that I read about a local track in KC using a machine to de-rock the surface. From what I remember, the machine would take it the top x inches of the surface and sort/mill the dirt for the rocks. The end result was a rock free race track.

When I read it, it all made so much sense that I wondered why all tracks did not do this.

Anyone have experience with this?
Yes, they do have equipment that does this. Its talked about in the pits every race I've been to at CC. By owners and drivers. No it's not free, may not be cheap, but it would CONSIDERABLY help!! Especially when it comes to injury, possible death, lawsuits, liability, and tearing up owners and drivers equipment.

The idea of a pizza party so to speak, get together, call it what you want, to have several people walking the track picking up rocks, h*ll that's better then nothing or just ignoring it and saying oh well.

Chuck is right, weather does play a role, specifically rain and winters. Moisture brings rocks up. That's why serious arrowhead hunters will go arrowhead hunting after a rain. All dirt does have rocks, very true statement unless it's been machined and sifted. I live in some of the best farm ground country in the state of IN, proven fact not opinion. They still have rocks. My guess is the first mistake they made when building this track, they bought sh*t dirt. That's a bad start.

To EldoraMark, I dont doubt you got hit at Kokomo, one of my good friends had a friend who had to get stitches at Smackdown this year from a rock. My eye injury at 13 years old come at Kokomo on the back stretch when we could sit in our vehicles along the track, and I have repeatedly said in here, to me, the best track in the state and nation. That's biased bc I live there and an OPINION. I had prescription glasses on back then. Back then glasses was glass. Not high tech plastic like they are now days. Rock and shattered glass went in my dominant eye, right eye. I am going blind in my right eye bc of that incident and will have to have surgery in the next 5-10 years or totally lose that eye. I also quit going racing for 20-25 years bc of that incident and missed a ton of great racing and drivers including but not limited to BC. All tracks do have rocks, but no other track in Indiana do you see rocks on tv or hear "ting ting ting ting" all night. As Chuck stated that, my best friend lives in Orlando and watches on Flo and ask me every time why are the rocks so bad at CC bc he can see them on the screen, but there's not a problem?

Oh for the nay sayers, Kokomo doesnt have aluminum bleachers on the front stretch, well the back stretch does. So does other tracks. Gas City has 1/2 inch x 1/2 wire all along the front stretch attached to the main fence, guess what, very few if any rocks go through that. CC is again, by far worse then any track in Indiana.

I wish I knew how to post pictures on here bc I d*mn sure would. Not only of the rocks, but welts and cuts I have gotten. I'm like the person that mentioned the pain issue, physical pain doesnt phase me. My entire upper body is covered in tattoos, 4 other tattoos on my legs, and 10 piercings. Physical pain doesnt phase me, it's a SAFETY ISSUE FOR ALL INVOVLED. Yep, noone made me go, noone makes me go, I CHOOSE TO, to support racing, the tracks, drivers, teams bc it's what I do when I'm not working, hunting, or fishing. I dont want to lose ANY track anymore then anyone else does!!

For YOU Quinn..."have some d*mn sense and read the WHOLE post"...I did sit in a different place, so did crappieman...show me one time in any of my post where I said poor Josh, poor me??? Cant do it bc it's not there. Crappieman and Grocery Guy didnt say poor me either did they. IF you can sit there and say you never got hit which may be true, but never seen a rock or never heard a rock, or heard ting ting ting ting off of the bleachers, well then you must be ONE H*LL OF AN HONEST PERSON lmfao hahaha. People like you are the problem. When something needs attention or addressed that can affect the future of the sport or a said track and dont speak up and voice your facts and opinions. Noone is trying or wanting to be negative or bad mouthing the track. Reread the rest of my post, 3rd favorite track, great racing, great facilities, great parking, good food regardless of price, all around 4/5 stars for me.

Again as Chuck said, not everyone can sit next to Quinn. Not everyone can sit on the top. People have health issues. People are in wheelchairs. People have walkers. People have canes. Some people dont like the d*mn view from the top including me. Some people drink tons and tons of fluids every day to stay hydrated and have to urinate alot and dont want to sit at the top, including myself. Some people have blatters/kidneys that when the urge hits they have to use the restroom they have to go right now and they cant sit at the top bc they wont make it to the restroom in time. Some people take water pills. Some people take other meds and must be as close as they can get to restrooms. Midget Week, Sprint Week, Smackdown type races, NOT EVERYONE can fit in on the top.

The rock issue, is SAFETY. Not complaints or b*itching or crying. The size of the rocks that's being thrown into the stands at CC, someone can get seriously hurt or killed. Guess what that spells, LAWSUIT. Guess what LAWSUIT means, usually losing a place or closing it down. It takes EVERYONE for a track to stay open and be successful. Not just owners, teams, drivers. Not just regulars or travelers. It takes families too. I can just about guarantee you, if a family goes to a track, if their child gets smoked and/or hurt by a rock, their done, people they know who was on the fence is done...guess what, that adds up. Those ticket sales add up. The money they spent of souvenirs adds up. The money they spent on concessions adds up. When people have to move rocks out of the way, that's a problem. When people are making rock piles on the bleachers, that's a problem. Whether you get hit or not, whether your too naive to admit the rock problem or not, it's a problem. Plain and simple. Like it or not.
3 Likes: Blitzman, progressive22, RACrappieman
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #13 9/17/22 8:25 PM
You guys that come on here after a decent night of racing, and not posting one thing about a decent night worth of racing, but quick to just post about rocks hitting them on a public forum is the problem.

Next time try emailing the promoter or calling them and tell them of your concerns in a reasonable manner, and you might have better luck.

One promoter that has posted here in the past has said something to the effect of: “If you like what you see, tell your friends. If you have a problem, come see me”.
12 Likes: Dirtfan, dkdorkboy, EPSpeed, Ilovedirttrackracing, Kart#51, luckybuc97, Oleman61x, racefan20, Rcar, stp6237, tirespinner, wildman92
Knoke77 (Offline)
  #14 9/19/22 8:24 AM
These came out of the floor pan of a midget that raced at CC Friday.
5 Likes: Blitzman, Charles Nungester, DirtTrackTherapy16J, progressive22, RACrappieman
DirtTrackTherapy16J (Offline)
  #15 9/19/22 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Knoke77:
These came out of the floor pan of a midget that raced at CC Friday.
Oh there's no way that can be!! Quinn says so!! Quinn says there's no rocks or a rock problem at CC. They was there Friday and sat up high and didnt get hit one time so there cant be a rock problem!! Quinn has been there one time this year and knows everything and there cant be a rock problem. Honestly though, wow that's absolutely ridiculous!! That's one pile from one d*mn car!! Imagine every car from Friday and sweeping the bleachers just from Friday. There is probably a semi dump trailer load of rocks in that track but there isnt a problem according to the know it alls, there isnt rocks according to the know it alls. Then that's the other thing, call text email, be a man and talk face to face to the promoter and/or owner is a waste of energy, they are not that stupid or naive, they know there is a major problem. Like I said earlier in the year, the employees at the ticket booth and concessions sit there talking about the rock problem. It must come down to same situation another great track is having, promoter either does not care one bit or doesnt have the funds to do anything about it. Which the funds issue, likely b.s. being they have a jumbotron??? As the one person stated, could easily have a rock picking up party that doesnt take much money, just effort and honesty. Of course most people dont do either one these days.
wildman92 (Offline)
  #16 9/19/22 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn:
You guys that come on here after a decent night of racing, and not posting one thing about a decent night worth of racing, but quick to just post about rocks hitting them on a public forum is the problem.

Next time try emailing the promoter or calling them and tell them of your concerns in a reasonable manner, and you might have better luck.

One promoter that has posted here in the past has said something to the effect of: “If you like what you see, tell your friends. If you have a problem, come see me”.
When I read the title of this thread “Circle City Rocks”, I thought it was going to be rave reviews about Circle City. Normally when someone says something rocks, that’s a good thing. Man was I wrong. 🤦🏻*♀️

Jen Kelley (she/her)
14 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, Dirtfan, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, Oleman61x, OnTheHammer, PIT CART, Pitdad, Rpracing1, Steve Wendel, Stevensville Mike, The Old Coyote
Dirtfan (Offline)
  #17 9/19/22 11:04 AM

Very well said ASQ,this forum used to be very informative and interesting to frequent,not so much anymore,guess I need to use the ignore list..

Dan Hetser

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
4 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Ilovedirttrackracing, OnTheHammer, wildman92
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #18 9/19/22 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Dirtfan:
Very well said ASQ,this forum used to be very informative and interesting to frequent,not so much anymore,guess I need to find the block or mute option.

Agreed!
4 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Dirtfan, Ilovedirttrackracing, OnTheHammer
yaheardme (Offline)
  #19 9/19/22 11:30 AM
I agree. Circle City does rock.
B99 (Offline)
  #20 9/19/22 11:56 AM

Amen brother. The hypocrites on this forum make it nearly intolerable. They come to trash promoters that aren't one of their chosen few, or heaven forbid, schedule a race against the almighty USAC.

Funny that no one has mentioned the machine gun sound of pebbles against the turn 1 stands at Larryburg. Folks, promoters don't want rocks in their surfaces any more than you do. Most work very hard to get rid of them. And lets keep in mind, Circle City is not a stand alone racetrack, it is on a fairgrounds which is used for more than just races.

Let's give them time to work on the issues, eh?
4 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Hustlin-Hoosier, Oleman61x, OnTheHammer