IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
4wheelsinthekoosh (Offline)
  #31 10/31/12 3:03 PM
I dont think a lot of people realize that the safer we make our cars the faster us drivers are goung to try and go which equals a lot harder crashes and worse injuries. They handle to good and feel way to comfortible. No one and i mean no one should feel safe driving into 3 at kokomo wide open and feel safe almost all of us do and thats the scary part. The human body can only take so much thats why cars are ment to bend. Just like a post earlier i dont believe in the hans FOR sprint cars either. Its a good devise just for other pavement stuff. Dirt crashes aren't pavement ones. And an injury or death is something that we drivers need to be concerned about not fans. We take on that responsibility and that is our burden. Wives fans and family worry every time we hit the track yet we dont flinch cause it is our dream to be out there and put on a show for you the fans. So let us police ourselves and just come and enjoy the show.

Posted via Mobile Device
15 Likes: 4t4, Dblchkrs, Dgentry51, fasster23, fish, Honest-Sam, Jerry Spencer, jjsprt92, LRP36, McInturff Racing, monkeyboy, ROSS, sprintracer82, Tony74, TQ29m
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #32 10/31/12 5:52 PM
Billy, I think this was the best post on this whole thread ,
Jerry Spencer (Offline)
  #33 10/31/12 6:56 PM
Originally Posted by 4wheelsinthekoosh:
I dont think a lot of people realize that the safer we make our cars the faster us drivers are goung to try and go which equals a lot harder crashes and worse injuries. They handle to good and feel way to comfortible. No one and i mean no one should feel safe driving into 3 at kokomo wide open and feel safe almost all of us do and thats the scary part. The human body can only take so much thats why cars are ment to bend. Just like a post earlier i dont believe in the hans FOR sprint cars either. Its a good devise just for other pavement stuff. Dirt crashes aren't pavement ones. And an injury or death is something that we drivers need to be concerned about not fans. We take on that responsibility and that is our burden. Wives fans and family worry every time we hit the track yet we dont flinch cause it is our dream to be out there and put on a show for you the fans. So let us police ourselves and just come and enjoy the show.

Posted via Mobile Device
Very well said.

Jerry #66j
stida.com
Jonr (Offline)
  #34 10/31/12 7:15 PM
Originally Posted by 4wheelsinthekoosh:
I dont think a lot of people realize that the safer we make our cars the faster us drivers are goung to try and go which equals a lot harder crashes and worse injuries. They handle to good and feel way to comfortible.............

Posted via Mobile Device
Can anyone else see the flaw in this logic? Drivers, crews, and owners are always trying to make thier cars go faster. I have never met a race car driver/crewmen/ owner who said that they didn't want to go faster than the last time that they were on the track. The improvements in the speed are coming. Someone is already trying to find the new trick part. The question is are the safety improvements coming as fast?
TQ29m (Offline)
  #35 10/31/12 7:19 PM
Billy, you've just said more at one time, than you have in all the years I've known you! Good post! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Rhody (Offline)
  #36 11/1/12 2:04 AM
Originally Posted by Spi-nex:
A wheelbase increase, chassis width increase, and increased chassis height (basically an all round "fattening" up of the car) would create extra area to allow energy to dissipate without it being transferred to the driver.
I believe we already have these cars (Silver Crown Cars?) It does not appear that people are lining up to watch or race them. (Not meant to be a slam on that class, I hope it survives). Fact is, if it's slower/heavier than the current sprint car or midget, I don't want to race it. I don't even like racing 360's, and I'm pretty sure that this topic was prompted by an incident involving a winged 360. I believe that we can all take a close look at safety and apply due diligence, but I am not going to turn my sprint car into a late model and restrict myself to racing on quarter mile tracks with Nerf walls and Bungee fences.
2 Likes: fish, Honest-Sam
snoopy (Offline)
  #37 11/1/12 6:41 AM
Is it time for:

1. A series safety director. I was a little surprised when I ran Winchester and never had my gear checked, but the next week it was fully checked at Peru. (Good job Peru)

2. As a coach (and with Earnhardt) has it come time for a brain test after severe crashes. After getting their bell rung, a high school football player must exhibit brain functions on a computer. The safety director could be in charge of this. Will he/she be a little expensive, yes, but what is a life or a crippled person worth?

3. I know weight is speed. Would properly mounted seats cost too much? While properly mounting the seat how would a bar or better yet a plate to prevent the center section from hitting the driver in the spine or hips work out. (Jason Blonde or Brad Doty care to weigh in)

4. Finally for someone a lot smarter than me. The brain moves on impact and it is the second collision that does the damage. When using both a neck restraint and surround seat, is it causing too much restriction , leading to some brain injury. Might we be better off using just one?

Hope these lead to thinking and not a big fight on this board.
safetyworker (Offline)
  #38 11/1/12 12:41 PM
There is no simple answer...lots of good answers in these responses...includes having safety teams that are well-trained and well-equipped...proper seats and seat belt systems...head/neck restraints...attention to detail...when kids learn in quarter midgets to have their heads/upper bodies outside of the cages, that is a poor start in safety awareness. Things like having foam/water fire suppression on-hand when using methanol fuel is so basic...and so few are prepared. Safety is not a fixed target- progress means change, and some times, relinquishing tradition.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #39 11/1/12 3:47 PM
Snoopy, I tend to agree with you, maybe a bit too much "attatchment" in this case, maybe someone needs to send these thoughts to 'MythBusters", and see what they come up with, I feel like there has been too much "theory", and not enough actual testing, and way too much "mandating" of things we don't know all that much about, being more or less, forced on openwheel, by Nascar, or the "tintop" nation if you prefer, there is a big difference in the two types of race cars, to just kinda lump them together, and follow suit, I'm not a fan of the Hans either, and in most cases, in my opinion, the drivers don't have the straps/tethers tight enough, when you can actually turn your head, enough to see what is beside you, or look up into the stands, a simple helmet support looks like it has your head in a better safety position, I prefer the Hutchens device myself, not as easy to get in and out of, but it does hold you in position better, IMHO, and I don't enjoy helping my driver into it, especially when we're due in the chute, but he doesn't go on track, until it's all hooked up like he wants it. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Honest-Sam (Offline)
  #40 11/1/12 11:25 PM
Every time someone is hurt or killed, a change is made to prevent (or, at least, postpone) it from happening again. But, it doesn't appear to do anything (look up "intangible"). Seems as though it's always a freak occurrence or otherwise 'freakish' set of of circumstances that's ends in the worst way. Does nobody agree that the bad things will continue to happen, no matter what? For those that want absolute safety, how much would you pay to watch your favorite drivers sit on the front stretch and play checkers, or chess, or othello, or UNO , etc. Isn't danger part of draws us in? Don't respond, please. Just examine your own particular feelings truthfully and honestly and leave it go at that. Don't get me wrong. I don't wanna see any of my friends or colleagues end up hurt in any way. All I'm saying is, try all you like. Sprint car divers (and all others for that matter) are still going to get hurt (unless of course you mandate the board game thing that I suggested earlier). And they will still find a way even if........

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: Mud Packer, TQ29m