Register! Forgot Password?
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #11 9/29/10 9:06 AM
Just wondering how many thousands of times that we can
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #12 9/29/10 9:19 AM
Originally Posted by Rpracing1:
Just wondering how many thousands of times that we can
Follow along closely and you will see that it is an infinite number of times. For some folks message board ******** never seems to end.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
CTtoPA (Offline)
  #13 9/29/10 10:39 AM
Message boards are the places that people come to when they want to make a complaint but not a difference. There isn't a grassroots campaign to be started here. Owners and drivers are inherently foolish and will do almost anything to get a car on the track so arguing about a $25 pitpass when four cylinders cost the same as eight is futile.
Big Willy (Offline)
  #14 9/29/10 12:34 PM
On a positive note... Congrats to Don on his AMCT owner championship - althought it appears there is a three way tie. Hopefully the tie break is not by alphabetical order and you all three get to split the owner point fund equally!
racerjim2 (Offline)
  #15 9/29/10 1:23 PM
I think Don makes a lot of sense on many points. I guess you can put me into the fruit loop list too.

But, whatever happened to a promoter promoting his race to draw fans into the stands so that back gate doesn't have to be a necessary evil that's it's turned into? Just asking.
thebus79h (Offline)
  #16 9/29/10 1:34 PM
The thing is this, when you are putting on a race, you have a few factors. The track I'm going off of was using the national average of people that come with each car, which at that time was around 3.85. He would take 40 dollars per car and put that towards the purse, along with a percentage of front gate and concessions. If you do the math, that isn't all that much. Granted, this isn't sprints or midgets either.
So with that being said, if I enter in two classes, that promotor has to pray to god I have twice the people of normal so he can make his commitments.

I agree that it shouldn't happen, and the driver shouldn't pay a pit pass at all, and just pay the racing fee. Literally, that would take care of the whole thing, and solve it all. Free pit passes for drivers, they jusy pay an entry fee per class. Makes sense to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #17 9/29/10 1:39 PM
This topic is somewhat controversial as validated on another thread. I started this topic because it has a direct link to the escalating costs of racing and more expense equals more race teams limiting their racing or not racing at all. The cost of maintaining a race team is significant. The issues I listed in the first post are real issues that are not going away.

Of the 17 posts so far, 5 people have decided to go off topic, get personal or not post any opinion. My name is on the topic for this discussion and I gladly and proudly sign my name. For the 5 people that apparently have no intention of seriously participating in a discussion about an issue that is very important to the racing community, please don't read my posts. Move on. You've expressed your displeasure at reading what I have to say, so please go to another thread unless you seriously want to participate in a discussion or better yet, put me on ignore if it's that painful to read. I can tell you that the private messages I received and the feedback I get at the race tracks far outweighs what the you distrackers on here post. Again to the 5 people and anyone else who does not want to particpate in the discussion without getting personal, please move on to another thread. If you have nothing to add to the topic, MOVE ON, please. Learning to respect other opinions is part of being a good participant on IOW and it's part of the forum rules.

And thanks to all the others who have written some great posts! Glad to see some people on IOW who actually can think through a topic and post an opinion and leave it at that.
terrehautian (Offline)
  #18 9/29/10 1:46 PM
I am not a racer, but this is where i feel about it. If it helps the track, then so be it. Who knows, if more people do it, it could raise winning purses. I do see the other side on paying full price, but maybe half price for the second and more class?
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #19 9/29/10 2:26 PM
Originally Posted by terrehautian:
I am not a racer, but this is where i feel about it. If it helps the track, then so be it. Who knows, if more people do it, it could raise winning purses. I do see the other side on paying full price, but maybe half price for the second and more class?
If I take your argument... how about if the fans are willing to pay, say, $10 for, for example, midgets, add three support classes to it and the fans would now pay $40 admission. If it helps the track, so be it, to quote you. With that are you still showing up for the races? How about 5 classes at $50?
2 Likes: Indy1808, rmr6nm
gearguy (Offline)
  #20 9/29/10 2:34 PM
Whoever posted that without the fans there wouldn't be car owners is ignoring all the amatuer racing that goes on. Very few carowners come close to breaking even on what the tracks pay. Some branches of racing, like the SCCA, don't even try to attract paying spectators.
If we are really honest about it, today's top level racers [NASCAR, IRL, ARCA] don't race for purse payouts either. Last weekend Road America hosted the fall runoffs. There were probably more people in the pits than in the stands.
I agree with most of Don Moore's posts even though I only own sportsman midgets. If you want to avoid the "SCCA model" being our only racing option in the future you should be concerned about those practices too.
As a fan I never cared how much money the race teams lost until they stopped showing up to entertain me.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois
IRS #6 Sportsman midget carowner