IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Danny Burton (Offline)
  #11 1/3/10 6:28 PM
Hey, Marv, I found a guy a bit older than me. :2: I barely recall the Leppert Bus Line, I think it was. I recall when the former Irwin Union Bank was built, but don't recall Harrison Motors. I'm "only" 58, despite what Marv will tell you. My local memories only go back to the mid 50s here.

My dad worked with Jimmy Hemmings' mom at Cosco. I recall Dad talking with Jimmy at a county fair (Jennings?) many moons ago. I barely recall Jimmy also driving the white 93 car.

It was either Sandy or Superduke who posted about Sonny's medical issues, as I recall.

http://www.hoseheads.com/dannyb.html

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.
SprintManDave (Offline)
  #12 1/3/10 7:24 PM
I remember those good old days in the fifties.My high School yearbook is full of those downtown Columbus businesses because that was where they all were.I grew up riding the Leppert buses around town.Also on Sonny Ates, I first met him when he was driving Bill Arnolds Midget.Bill was Steve,Kevin,and Sharon Arnold Blair's father and I remember when they lived on Central Avenue north of highway 31.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #13 1/3/10 8:00 PM
If it is the same Steve Arnold, I've seen some of his 8mm movies of the "good old Days", of his dad's midget, I believe he told me it was last powered by an aluminum 215 Buick/Olds V8. Musta been about 82/83, I was heading South on 65, and as I topped the hill, at the 58 mile marker, I took trip back in time. Sitting on the North bound emergency lane, was one of those god awful color, Leppert Busses, still had the name on the side, talk about a wake up call, someone must have located it somewhere, and maybe headed home to restore it. Danny, if you're talking about my age, I'm 72. Any of you guys remember when Dick Snider came to town? He bought out Leppert Auto Parts, then had the parts store at 31, and Central. Dick was to Columbus, like Gurney was to Ca. Like you say, Dave, lots of good memories in and around Columbus, lots of one off race cars built, all over town, it's still good to hear the very rare rump-rump of a street rod, unfinished of course, I guess I was building "Rat-Rods", before they were the thing, mine were always in primer, then I'd move on to something else that caught my eye. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
cecil98 (Offline)
  #14 1/3/10 8:11 PM
I saw Don Branson win a feature at New Bremen in the Iddings car. I'm also, pretty sure Allen Crowe died in that car at New Bremen in 1963.
High Banks (Offline)
  #15 1/3/10 8:45 PM
Originally Posted by Danny Burton:
Didn't someone mention that Sonny was having medical issues recently?

Bob, I recall Mahan's but what was the other Ford place?

I'll e-mail this link to Mr. Norris, who is residing in Florida full time now. Kerry and his son have taken over the family business.
About four or five years ago I received a call at Salem Speedway from Sonny. He had just moved back to Indiana from Louisiana and was living in nearby Henryville. He and his wife came to the Joe James/Pat O’Connor race that summer as our guests. He was very appreciative and said they would definitely return in the future for more races. I haven’t seen or talked to him since that day. I have also heard that he was battling some health issues.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #16 1/4/10 3:25 PM
Just got an update on Sonny, seems he and his wife, moved back here, from AZ, about 4-5 years ago, then moved back about 2 years ago. Seems his medical issue is memory related. Too bad, such a nice guy, wish I had been able to keep better track of him over the years. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
SprintManDave (Offline)
  #17 1/4/10 10:07 PM
Sonny was at last springs Columbus Oldtimers meeting at the fairgrounds,but I didn't get to talk to him because everybody else was keeping him occupied and I didn't want to interupt. The next thing I knew he was gone.Dick Snider used to race speedboats. I saw him race at Madison more than once when I was a rescue boat driver for the regatta. If memory serves me correctly, he raced in the 7 litre class.
bigmojo5
  #18 1/4/10 11:29 PM
I remember Sonny driving the blue No. 25 in 1975. I believe it was the Easton sprinter.

Bruce, you are right that Sonny held the track record at all three tracks at the same time. He told several of us one day that the trick to a fast lap at Salem was hitting the dip in the third turn straight and then turning the car before it hit the guard rail.

He also ran with the UMRA TQs and won features with them, as did Butch Wilkerson and Pancho and Dana Carter.
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #19 1/5/10 3:42 AM
Originally Posted by bigmojo5:
I remember Sonny driving the blue No. 25 in 1975. I believe it was the Easton sprinter.
I remember that car and Sonny well. My brother passed out, on a seriously hot muggy day at Winchester, and Sonny's wife happened to be right there. She sprung into action with towels soaked with cold cooler water and was very nice and helpful. My brother was a big fan of Sonny (and his wife) after that.
David.

midgetmaniac (Offline)
  #20 1/5/10 1:59 PM
My dad bought that car from Jim Hurtibise when he started racing