IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Daddyz (Offline)
  #1 2/1/17 10:00 AM
Is there a 'standard' or accepted pay scale for a hired driver? I've seen 40% of winnings, but I don't know if that's accurate.

If this is a touchier subject than I think it is, PM me instead if you have any input.
Thanks
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #2 2/1/17 1:26 PM
I've heard that number with incentives up to 100% depending on finishing position.
But coming from someone who owned, drove, paid for my own car for 20 years, if it were me, depending on the wealth of the car owner and if we were both weekend warriors I would GLADLY drive the car for nothing, just to keep the car owner afloat. Having said that and thinking about it my guess is there isn't as many hired drivers as there used to be until you get to the upper echelon.
CRA91 (Offline)
  #3 2/1/17 1:44 PM
Originally Posted by Daddyz:
Is there a 'standard' or accepted pay scale for a hired driver? I've seen 40% of winnings, but I don't know if that's accurate.

If this is a touchier subject than I think it is, PM me instead if you have any input.
Thanks
40% to 50% is pretty much the standard and some owners have a winning incentive.

Terry James Jr.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, sprinter31, tirespinner
bsmith8 (Offline)
  #4 2/1/17 2:58 PM
40 % and owner pays for pit pass and and travel. 50% and driver pays pit pass and travel and 10 % bonus to win. I did not see that bonus very often lol.
4 Likes: baldtireman, interpreter66, kcarm92, tirespinner
wvwildthg (Offline)
  #5 2/1/17 3:09 PM
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #6 2/1/17 6:54 PM
I have driven for 20%-40% also have driven for free because just wanted to drive, but most hired (pros) are 40%
4 Likes: baldtireman, bsmith8, oppweld, PIT CART
sprinter31 (Offline)
  #7 2/1/17 8:19 PM
40% plus pit pass, sometimes if we win the driver buys breakfast. LoL
4 Likes: baldtireman, bsmith8, i love dirt track racing, kcarm92
bsmith8 (Offline)
  #8 2/2/17 4:55 PM
I never had to buy breakfast but win lose or draw I had to buy the beer.
5 Likes: baldtireman, fish, hairracer44, i love dirt track racing, sprinter31