IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
revjimk (Offline)
  #1 10/19/16 1:37 AM
Any thoughts on Western World championship coming up in Arizona?
Kind of early for a winter break, as its beautiful weather in Denver right now, but Cocopah winged races in January are cancelled... guess I'm addicted to the smell of methanol....
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #2 10/19/16 7:13 AM
I was looking forward to the cocopah winter heat race myself. Went to the first one, and really enjoyed it. A beautiful facility and good racing. Unfortunately changes in track management looks like it has sidelined the event. Hopefully they bring it back next year
NOSTINKINWINGS (Offline)
  #3 10/19/16 5:50 PM
I wouldn't get near the Western unless you can hold your breath for 30 green. Bad fast joint.
Stealth87 (Offline)
  #4 10/20/16 9:56 AM
Its a pretty neat place. I went down from Wisconsin for the World of Outlaws show at Arizona Speedway in March. Its definitely a bad fast place. It also produced one of the better winged races I saw this year. Curious to see how how fast and racy it stays with only having non-winged cars. They also mentioned that the grandstands there are the same grandstands that were at Manzy. There are also seats in turn 4 that are from Firebird Raceway. It should definitely be worth the trip. I am heading down for it. Can't pass up sprint car racing in November with gorgeous weather during the day!
trickyricky (Offline)
  #5 10/20/16 1:34 PM
My wife and I are headed there for the Western World Championship this year. Then headed over to Perris for the final three USAC races. Have been to the Western World race twice before. 1975 when Ron Shuman won (I lived in Phoenix then) and with Greg Staab in 1981(I think). Looking forward to this!!

Ric Schwarm
revjimk (Offline)
  #6 10/20/16 3:05 PM
Originally Posted by trickyricky:
My wife and I are headed there for the Western World Championship this year. Then headed over to Perris for the final three USAC races. Have been to the Western World race twice before. 1975 when Ron Shuman won (I lived in Phoenix then) and with Greg Staab in 1981(I think). Looking forward to this!!
I went to Perris last year & BC won the Saturday feature after driving to Phoenix & back all nite for a new engine.
Racing was good, but drive from LAX was a total nightmare, traffic was ungodly. All I could think of was "why would anyone live here?" Obviously millions do...
Next time, Ontario airport!!!!
trickyricky (Offline)
  #7 10/20/16 3:56 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
I went to Perris last year & BC won the Saturday feature after driving to Phoenix & back all nite for a new engine.
Racing was good, but drive from LAX was a total nightmare, traffic was ungodly. All I could think of was "why would anyone live here?" Obviously millions do...
Next time, Ontario airport!!!!
My son lives in Escondido (North of San Diego) and we stay with him. The ride to the track is not bad.

Cincy Ken and a couple of other friends are also coming in for Perris races.

Ric Schwarm
bojo20 (Offline)
  #8 10/20/16 8:05 PM
Drive over to Perris quite often always stay at a Best Western on Perris Blvd in Moraino Valley easy short drive to track.
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #9 10/21/16 1:01 AM
As stated above, fly into Ontario. LAX is 50 miles farther from the track, but the traffic can easily make it a three hour drive - especially during the week.
2 Likes: AustinSprinter, cmakin
revjimk (Offline)
  #10 10/21/16 2:48 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Daloisio;461079]As stated above, fly into Ontario. LAX is 50 miles farther from the track, but the traffic can easily make it a three hour drive - especially during the week.[/Q
Exactly. Took me 3 hrs. to go 75 miles & I was cheating, going in restricted lane when traffic came to a total halt. Later found out thats a $400 fine.... whew!
Worst part was the stress, kind of wrecked my nite