IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 16th Street Speedway RIP 9 years
9/18/08, 12:20 PM   #1
16th Street Speedway RIP 9 years
D.O.

9 Years ago was the final race at 16th St. Speedway.
I really miss that place.
Congrats to Druzella for making it 9 years with me!

:dologob:

PS - I really miss Mr. Happy falling over on his cage.

9/18/08, 12:40 PM   #2
Re: 16th Street Speedway RIP 9 years
psullivan

I still think about it all the time - I saw Roy Caruthers at Moto GP and he went out after nearly everyone was gone and turned the last laps there --- It was such a great things to be a part of --- and I still think it could have worked

9/18/08, 12:48 PM   #3
Fisher79

Is there any chance it still could work? I know from pictures in the Star that the fence and walls are gone, but it seems like such a shame for that place to sit empty and deteriorating.

Even a sports team or league instead of racing would be better than nothing.

9/18/08, 12:52 PM   #4
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
9 Years ago was the final race at 16th St. Speedway.
I really miss that place.
Congrats to Druzella for making it 9 years with me!

PS - I really miss Mr. Happy falling over on his cage.
D.O.,
IS THAT AN OHIO DOG ? I SEE AN O UNDER HIS TAIL :wink :wink

9/18/08, 1:01 PM   #5
D.O.

10-4 DA

9/18/08, 1:47 PM   #6
STP

Race Count Last Year: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher79 View Post
Is there any chance it still could work? I know from pictures in the Star that the fence and walls are gone, but it seems like such a shame for that place to sit empty and deteriorating.

Even a sports team or league instead of racing would be better than nothing.

The last I heard it was owned by the city of Indianapolis and they were thinking of tearing it down. That was when Bart was mayor. It was like $5 - 8 million to renovate and less to tear down.

I think that it is on the historical list or something and that may be why they didn't immediately tear it down. I don't remember exactly.

It's been one of my dreams to bring it back as a track. It is an awesome place.

9/18/08, 2:41 PM   #7
LEADERS EDGE

Man I miss that place.

The last race was great from start of day to the finish. Beautiful weather for a day race. John Wolfe was in the drivers seat until he killed a RR. I think Smoker was also fast that day as well. Ted Hines and Andy Pierce had a whale of a race for the win that day. Ted won it, Andy was Second,McClusky I am pretty sure was third,Zike was fourth and my brother finished fifth. He started somewhere around 8-10th and raced up to contend with Ted and Andy for the lead, but his RR tire was dead and with a late yellow Roger and Jerry got back by him. I still have the tire. Brand new to start the race and to the cords by the end. Jerry used one of our old tires and beat us with it. Obviously a "Brilliant" call on my part. Actually, I thought it was funny that he ended up repassing us with that old tire.

I'm glad that Ted won it and it was a great way to close the facility.

Brian Gerster was the winner of the first two races in Gary Howards' #61 Midget.

Steve Knepper was a master of that place and it was a pleasure to watch him show his skills there. Critter Malone came into his own there as well. When they were building that track, he would go over there at lunch and watch from above the booth area. I know that place meant alot to him.

I'll never forget the first night with all of the fans. I'll also never forget just how much better that place made a driver become. You had to run extremely hard just to run last there. It was also cool being able to drive by there during the week and then seeing all of the bill boards around town and the surrounding area, knowing you where a part of it in some small way.

It was cool, but it is gone and gone for good. The only way that could ever happen there again is if someone has way more money than sense. I gave up being mad and dissappointed about it failing a long time ago and now I am just thankful we got to race there for at least three years. It is something that I wish could be a do-over in many different ways, but it isn't Tony or Jim's job to provide us a playground at their expense.

For a brief second in time; roots style racing in metro Indy was cool again. It made some people take notice and it did allow for people to become new fans. You should always try to enjoy the things in life that make you happy, because you never know when they will be gone.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 9/18/08 at 2:57 PM.

9/18/08, 2:57 PM   #8
Mr. Happy

Now I know why my g:censor: d:censor: m:censor: f:censor:head hurts today!
Last edited by Mr. Happy; 9/18/08 at 3:07 PM.

9/18/08, 2:59 PM   #9
Mr. Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
For a brief second in time; roots style racing in metro Indy was cool again. It made some people take notice and it did allow for people to become new fans. You should always try to enjoy the things in life that make you happy, because you never know when they will be gone.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: that was beautiful Scotty...:crying: :crying: :crying:

9/18/08, 3:09 PM   #10
TQ29m

I too, have memories of that place, not all good, but mostly good. The first time I was there, I was in grade school, and our principal thought it would be nice, if we country kids, could go see a real, live Baseball game, and thats where we went. I'd forgotten about it, but when it was opened as a race track, I raced my midget there, almost exactly 50 years after my first visit. Surprisingly, I could remember where we sat, and it was an exibition game, and it was packed. Can't say I really cared for it, either way, but that was my first and only baseball game, but lots of racing since. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 16th Street Speedway RIP 9 years