IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remember the past
8/11/16, 7:30 PM   #1
Remember the past
chop

As long as you still think of them, they are still with us.

Hank Wise, Sammy Sessions, Jerry Landon, Toby Tobias, Jim Shampine, Bob Seelman, Scott Brayton, Andy Chehowski, Rich Vogler, Robby Stanley, Scott Seaton, Frank Filskov, Stan Fox, Mike Fell, Jason Leffler, Tony Elliott and BC.

Also thinking of some that were hurt Harold Reynolds, Doug Mcclanahan, Brad Doty, Jeff Shepard, Paul Lotier and Kevin Swindell
Last edited by chop; 8/11/16 at 10:12 PM.

8/11/16, 8:44 PM   #2
Re: Remember the past
david mitchell
Banned

What an eloquent statement. Those words brought tears to my eyes. Yet it is so true.I was a fan of Jim Shampine and still remember when I received Speed sport news in the mail on Thursday. Remember, no internet.I still think of him often and still purchase items that I see on e-bay and other places.The same way with Dan Wheldon.Whether by wearing t-shirts or pictures their memory lives forever.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, JarrettFarms73, rapid robert, tirespinner
8/11/16, 10:04 PM   #3
mlamb

Chop I'd like to respectfully add a few names. Just so someone may read these names and remember them or memories.
Dave Bradway Jr., John Bankston, Ronald Laney, Vince Osman, Chad McDaniel, Kevin Doty, Josh Burton, Steve King, Billy Marvel, David Tarter, Tyler Wolf, Kramer Williamson, Kevin Gobrecht, James Campbell Jr., Danny Young. Injured driver Josh Howard.

8/11/16, 10:22 PM   #4
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
Chop I'd like to respectfully add a few names. Just so someone may read these names and remember them or memories.
Dave Bradway Jr., John Bankston, Ronald Laney, Vince Osman, Chad McDaniel, Kevin Doty, Josh Burton, Steve King, Billy Marvel, David Tarter, Tyler Wolf, Kramer Williamson, Kevin Gobrecht, James Campbell Jr., Danny Young. Injured driver Josh Howard.
When I read the first list the first person I thought of was Kevin Doty. The second person was Jesse Hockett.

8/12/16, 2:35 AM   #5
jim goerge

I remember when the cars used to pit in the infield at Haubstadt, and at intermission fans were allowed in to talk with the drivers owners and look at the cars. I remember talking with a local driver Cliff Johns who ran pretty good I thought ( I was probley around 10 to 13) I asked Cliff where he was racing next weekend and him saying Springfield mile I thought wow he"s going to go race with the big boys. I don"t recall what happened that night but all week I I kept thinking I"ll read about how he does in my Speed Sport News . Well the next weekend was over and I didn"t need Speed Sport News to tell me what happened cuz there was a story about how Cliff was killed in a big crash, kept thinking how sad

2 members like this post: FishBurger, rapid robert
8/12/16, 10:26 AM   #6
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Dave McDonald, Eddie Sachs, Jud Larson, Red Riegel, Don Branson, Dick Atkins, Jimmy Clark, Mike Spence, Art Pollard, Jim Malloy, Swede Savage.
Every one affected me as a young fan in my teens and twenties, but none hit me as hard as BC; maybe because I'm a racer too now and we've shared time on the same racetracks and in the same pits, maybe because it happens so much less often now, maybe a combination of both. Every time I remember them though, and it will be for Bryan too, I try to recall times when they were heroes rather than the times when they were taken from us.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

8/12/16, 8:05 PM   #7
KohKoh

John Deering Danny Caruthers Mike Hill John Hubbard Jay Cornell John Gall Don Vogler Clark Templeman Kara Hendrick

2 members like this post: rapid robert, tirespinner
8/12/16, 8:47 PM   #8
flatout

Maybe I missed him, injured drivers that come to mind: Jack Hewitt and Doug Wolfgang
Last edited by flatout; 8/12/16 at 8:50 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/12/16, 9:06 PM   #9
Gregg

Danny Milburn, Billy Vukovich I and III, Carl Bergkvist, Chuck Rodee, Jimmy Davies, Jeff Thickston, Ron Lux, Gill Hess, Calvin Gilstrap & Stan Bowman

As a long time race fan when I first followed racing in USACs midget and sprint car division it was 1966. It was a horrible year as four of the drivers JJones752 mentioned and three I listed died that year. As a young kid full of invincibility it was tough to see but you coped as back then it was part of racing, a bad part but a part.

Today racing is still dangerous but not like the old days. I'm quite a bit more reflective than in 1966 and having seen the deaths of family and friends. When there is a death in racing, especially of one you talked to numerous times and joked around with it is almost too much to take. Thank God we don't go through this several times a year.
Last edited by Gregg; 8/12/16 at 9:28 PM.

8/13/16, 2:56 AM   #10
tim kelley

I know I'm probably a lot older than most of you, but the one that was a Hugh loss to me was Hugh ( lead foot) Randle. Hugh's life was taken at Langhorn.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remember the past