IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint fan in Nascarland
8/1/16, 7:36 PM   #1
Sprint fan in Nascarland
Tumey's 55

I moved to NC from Kokomo in late April, it has been a great move except I miss sprint cars. My son and I went to Bowman Gray stadium a couple of weeks ago and I thought I would provide some observations. The featured class for the evening were modifieds in a 100 lap race. For those who don't know, BG is a flat paved 1/4 mile track founded by Bill France among others so it has a long history in NASCAR. The racing was horrendous. I could count on one hand the passing that occurred in the modified race, and I mean throughout the field not just for the lead. There were about three other stock car classes that night. This was the WWE of racing. The only way to pass is to knock the car in front of you out of the way and usually that meant into the wall. This was typically followed by retribution which brought the crowd to their feet screaming. In one race the second place car spun out the leader, the crashee made his way back to the front and put his "buddy" into the wall. The recipients car was badly damaged but he continued at a a slow pace to allow the leader to catch him. Two yellow flags were thrown to prevent an intentional wreck, the guy was told by track workers to leave the track but refused and instead under caution passed all cars and wrecked the leader nearly hitting the pace car in the process. Both cars then had it out until they were destroyed. The crowd loved this display of idiocy though on some level it was entertaining.

So, what was good about it? There were about 15,000 fans present for this weekly program. The crowd was full of families, there were teenagers, single moms with kids, etc. They love their racing. Stock car racing is alive and well and appears to have a long future based on the fan base at this local track. I wish sprint car racing had as much diversity in the stands as I saw that night. It is too good not to support. Enjoy what you have in the Midwest, wings or no wings, and introduce some new fans to it whenever you can.

8/1/16, 9:55 PM   #2
Re: Sprint fan in Nascarland
Danny Burton

I've spent part of the spring in western North Carolina the past few years. Based on what I've seen, heard and read, I'd not bother making the long drive to Bowman-Gray. That isn't my definition of racing.

I've enjoyed Hickory Motor Speedway each time I've been there. Same for Carolina Speedway and its red clay.

But it takes a lot of adjusting to all that sheet metal.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

8/1/16, 10:20 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Jokingly, There's only one cure. Find a way to move back.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330
8/2/16, 1:08 AM   #4
Tumey's 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Jokingly, There's only one cure. Find a way to move back.

Well, that won't happen but I will get a fix in a few weeks, I have Smackdown tickets.

8/2/16, 1:50 AM   #5
Nate

IMO the the majority of people aren't there to watch the racing. They're there to watch the crashes and the ensuing fights that take place on the track or in the pits. That's why you'll see uniformed cops arrive at the scene of an incident before track safety officials will at times so the drivers don't go at each other.

Just like people tend to watch Talladega or Daytona because they want to see "The Big One".

2 members like this post: PIT CART, PJ Wright
8/2/16, 6:41 AM   #6
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

You should make sure to make it to the World Finals in Charlotte,, that way you can see a couple nights of great open wheeled racing at least on the dirt.

8/2/16, 7:41 AM   #7
staggerman

USCS comes through the Carolina's a few times a year, check it out as it is some decent racing. Yes, wings but better than nothing.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
8/2/16, 10:43 AM   #8
Tumey's 55

Thanks to all for the advice. I will keep my eyes open for sprints in the state and will likely visit some more Taxi tracks in the future...not my favorite but it is racing. Went to BG because it is close and I had heard a lot about it. Unfortunately the racing was, well, not what I consider racing.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/2/16, 10:49 AM   #9
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55 View Post
Thanks to all for the advice. I will keep my eyes open for sprints in the state and will likely visit some more Taxi tracks in the future...not my favorite but it is racing. Went to BG because it is close and I had heard a lot about it. Unfortunately the racing was, well, not what I consider racing.
Dane, we will be bring our midgets up that way soon

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

8/2/16, 11:05 AM   #10
JarrettFarms73

I've always viewed times like this as as such: A no-name, crazy talented fabricator can build one of the meanest bikes ever and a huge portion of the masses will still choose the bone stock sportster 883. Some will trade up to a better model but very few will walk away from that HD badge.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint fan in Nascarland