IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Would you support races with/without chili Bowl implication?
Ok with winner being lock at tail of B-Main if they have not raced their way in. 17 24.29%
Don't like the idea with the Chili Bowl but would support these races. 29 41.43%
Would you support these races even if they have nothing to do with Chili Bowl 25 35.71%
Would you show up to race. 10 14.29%
Would have likes these races to be spread out around the country not just one track. 9 12.86%
Have one race with each sanction the winner gets week day qualifier b-main provisional at tail. 11 15.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Car Owners, Drivers, Crew Guys, & Fans.
1/25/16, 3:13 PM   #1
Midget Car Owners, Drivers, Crew Guys, & Fans.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Poll above. Write in Votes and multiple votes allowed.

Midget Drivers, Pit Crew Guys. Car Owners, & Fans.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As a fan and one who's been around the sport for a 34 years now. Just wonder what your thoughts here?

Amidst the recent cancellation of the 3 stand alone Midget races at Plymouth with the 600 Mini Sprints.
How many of you would have supported those races anyway and would support them now if the races where to be reinstated but have nothing to do with the Chili Bowl?
What would be an ok race purse for these 4 midget races.

Just asking. Would like to see these races happen weather or not the have anything to do with the Chili Bowl or Tulsa Shootout. Think is was in good intentions to have these races.

I don't believe Penalizing the racers was fair in cancelling. Understand they are tying to help grow the sport and give the Midget drivers a place to race.

QUESTION in the poll above.

- - - - -

I didn't really see a problem with having them associated with the Chili Bowl but I can understand why it would be unfair to get a lock into one of the two B-Mains.
*What about the guys who couldn't get off work to tow to Plymouth from a far distance and race with other Midget sanctions.
*Teams / drivers who couldn't get Vacation Time or Days off.
*Driver who race in a C-Main and miss a transfer by 1 sport to a B-Main but a guy who won a race at another venue was in and able to tag the tail of a B-Main if they where to have trouble during the week.
Last edited by nathans1012; 1/25/16 at 3:33 PM.

1/25/16, 3:26 PM   #2
LRP36

Wednesday nights are harder for people to take off work... if they were on Friday nights it is easier to justify taking a half day on a Friday or even a full day off

2 members like this post: PIT CART, R.Drang
1/25/16, 3:27 PM   #3
Re: Midget Car Owners, Drivers, Crew Guys, & Fans.
jim goerge

I probley would have attended the midget race, My Opinion doesn't mean much but lol I have never thought any body should be locked in to a race chilli bowl or not. I feel that way about locking somebody in on a Friday for a race on Saturday. Everybody should race that day to make the feature that night.

3 members like this post: DirtHawk92, i love dirt track racing, PIT CART
1/25/16, 4:42 PM   #4
Tim Clauson

Talked to several people today and it doesn't sound like this thing is dead yet. In fact I think some of the ideas that are being kicked around will make it a must attend event from both the competitors and the fans should it come to fruition.

One thing that is apparent is that there are many people who are quick to judge and then tear down an event without offering up alternatives and solutions or ideas for perceived issues. Last night after posting on the Plymouth post about cancelling I received a few phone calls from people who I respect in this sport and tossed around ideas for these events that would take full advantage of those who are doing nothing more then trying to not only support Midget Racing but also use the biggest race in the world to push that agenda. I am really excited as a midget team owner and a fan of midget racing of some of the ideas that are being discussed and my guess is that any fan of midget racing will be excited too if all the pieces can come together.

Tim Clauson

1/25/16, 5:01 PM   #5
nathans1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Talked to several people today and it doesn't sound like this thing is dead yet. In fact I think some of the ideas that are being kicked around will make it a must attend event from both the competitors and the fans should it come to fruition.

One thing that is apparent is that there are many people who are quick to judge and then tear down an event without offering up alternatives and solutions or ideas for perceived issues. Last night after posting on the Plymouth post about cancelling I received a few phone calls from people who I respect in this sport and tossed around ideas for these events that would take full advantage of those who are doing nothing more then trying to not only support Midget Racing but also use the biggest race in the world to push that agenda. I am really excited as a midget team owner and a fan of midget racing of some of the ideas that are being discussed and my guess is that any fan of midget racing will be excited too if all the pieces can come together.

Tim Clauson
This is great news to hear.....

1/25/16, 5:07 PM   #6
nathans1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post

Tim Clauson
Lets hope they have these 4 races I will be good for the sport in general.
Last edited by nathans1012; 1/25/16 at 5:22 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dickster
1/25/16, 5:38 PM   #7
LJC77

I was surprised more people were not excited about this idea.
I didn't see the harm in adding 2 more cars to the back of the B.
More than likely the driver who would have won one of these races probably would have already made the B main or even locked into the A.
And in the off chance that some no name driver happens to win one of these races gets to start 26th and can pass at least 20 cars in 20 laps with some of the best drivers in the country then that driver damn well deserves to be in the A in my opinion.

6 members like this post: EBookerFan, fish, kellenhomburg, monkeyboy, nathans1012, ossuks
1/25/16, 6:19 PM   #8
BrentTFunk

I would like to know the rest of the story. For all the effort it would take to promote these races, I thought it was odd to cancel them within a few hours after the announcement, over a dozen negative comments. Maybe there was criticism somewhere else other than here. I went to a USAC Midget race at Plymouth last year and thought it was a pretty good track for them. I also understand they are located in kind of an odd place. Too far away to capitalize on Indy on a Wednesday, yet too far to be totally tuned in with the Michigan scene. I figure that is why they are doing several things outside of the box.
Whether as a fan if I would attend these Wednesday shows would depend on a couple of things. One if I can get off work on time, so I can get there on time. Two if it ran late I probably would not be back, unless the lateness was beyond their control. (rain, wrecks, ambulance issues)

2 members like this post: dickster, jim goerge
1/25/16, 9:08 PM   #9
Nate

Gonna be a long post ladies & gents, bear with me

Personally, I'm always down for any kind of open wheel racing on dirt. It can be on the weekend or a weekday, if I think it's worth the trip, I will head to the show. In the past I've been critical of Plymouth for several reasons but it's a new season and there is always room for improvement so I have no problem with them wanting to put on some midget shows mid-week, I'd probably be there.

That being said, here was my beef with the whole deal (not that any of you could give two sh*ts, but I feel better speaking my mind). If you're going to hold a race and/or races that if you come out on top and you get to punch your ticket to a B-Main in one of the most popular and coveted races among race car drivers anywhere, then everyone should be afforded that chance.

Over 300 drivers/teams/owners show up in Tulsa these days every January. Everyone has an equal chance to make the big dance on Saturday night on live television. You've gotta go up against the best drivers and the best midgets in the world to gain entry into by far the toughest A-Main in dirt racing to make.

I think this Plymouth gimmick rubbed everyone the wrong way because of either one of two reasons:

1: It's the Chili Bowl, one of, if not thee most prestigious events in dirt racing of any form. If you've won a driller that says something. People may hate you for it like either of the Swindells or people may love you for it, ask Rico. But the fact remains the same that it is a stand alone event where you either can come and put up, or shut up. You shouldn't get a get out of jail free card IMO. Hell, I'm a Sammy Swindell fan, have been since he drove the Channellock car back in the day when my dad and I would watch WoO on TNN but I still didn't like him getting a free pass this year.

2: (Although I agree with what I said in point #1 this is the point I believe in) It's straight up unfair. If you're going to afford drivers at a track in north central Indiana a chance to make a B-Main at the Chili Bowl that is an opportunity everyone should get. How are guys like JJ Yeley, Kyle Larson, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. or possibly even Tony Stewart next year going to get the time to come race when they're off doing this NASCAR thing? Just because they race those stock car things on TV every Sunday doesn't assure them a spot in the grand finale on Saturday night, ask Yeley (whom by the way is one of the most talented dirt car drivers I've ever seen IMO). How is it fair to someone like Tom Harris or Michael Pickens who aren't even from the United States among other international drivers? How is it fair to any of the west coast guys? Hell, how is it fair to the guys from this area that just couldn't get off work to come race a weekday show? Just because no other major series is racing that night doesn't mean drivers, owners, or members of the crew will drop everything.

I wrote on my blog a few weeks ago after that Stewart sh*t storm in Tulsa that I wasn't going to be negative, and I'm trying not to be. The guys from Tulsa were trying to do something to help the sport, I get it. Saunders and Plymouth are trying to get their names out there and help grow their track and the sport as well, I also get that as well. But planning an event like this, these concerns I voiced above must have crossed someones mind? Right?

I'm down for having the races. Have midgets come in midweek, people will come. Us dirt fans are suckers for racing, especially mid-week (as long as the beer is cold). Cancelling? I'm not so sure about. Get your heads together, promote the hell out of these races, and still put on a kick @ss show. It can be done without having to involve the Chili Bowl. If you don't want to do it mid-week. Take a look at the schedules of various tracks/series and plan something else, if not this year, in the future. Cars/owners/drivers will come if the time and the money is right. A lot of these one off shows at other tracks have become hits, no reason Plymouth cannot do the same.

Nate

3 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012, spicoli
1/26/16, 2:25 PM   #10
kn16

weds are tough
Fridays even tough
but would have tried to support
if we could

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Car Owners, Drivers, Crew Guys, & Fans.