IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Vukie (Offline)
  #21 9/29/15 2:08 PM
[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;427719]Yeah buddy, They had one bumped team that couldn't even afford to be there this year, Seems to me there used to be 10-20 teams bumped every year.[/QUOTE

What year or years?
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish
Vukie (Offline)
  #22 9/29/15 2:14 PM
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan:
He's still going to be an owner in Stewart Haas Racing, which means he's still going to be spending the bulk of his time in NASCAR country. He'll never run an IndyCar again. He shares a lot in common with AJ Foyt, most of which are great racing achievements, but now includes their physique at this point in their careers. Just not conducive to running at Indy. With his demands as a car owner, which may increase with Gene Haas' F1 team, I would say he might run an occasional modified race and that's about it. After the wreck that broke his leg and the psychological affects of the Ward incident, I honestly don't see him getting into a sprint car of any kind in the foreseeable future. I could be completely wrong, but I don't get the impression that it is at the top of his priority list.
It wouldn't suprise me if they sell the NA$CAR team in the next few years.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...ip-compared-f1
Vukie (Offline)
  #23 9/29/15 2:15 PM
[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;427719]Yeah buddy, They had one bumped team that couldn't even afford to be there this year, Seems to me there used to be 10-20 teams bumped every year.[/QUOTE

What year or years?
Vukie (Offline)
  #24 9/29/15 3:32 PM
Originally Posted by SPRINTCAR:
To Tony Stewart winning the Indianapolis 500 is a BIG deal. He has said so.
He told me that in 1992 but it's 2015. Things change, they never stay the same.
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish
Vukie (Offline)
  #25 9/29/15 3:35 PM
Originally Posted by JDK222:
He's gonna have lay off the Pizza King and get a big shoe horn to get in an Indy Car.
A photo that I took of Tony in 1992 during a practice session at IMS.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/642009...7653335652548/
3 Likes: davidm, i love dirt track racing, Stevensville Mike
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #26 9/29/15 3:53 PM
[quote=Vukie;427758]
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Yeah buddy, They had one bumped team that couldn't even afford to be there this year, Seems to me there used to be 10-20 teams bumped every year.[/QUOTE

What year or years?
1990 42 teams entered all but five entered T backup cars as well
This year 34 teams entered and many teams backups weren't in running condition if they even had one

Charles Nungester
Vukie (Offline)
  #27 9/29/15 3:58 PM
[quote=Charles Nungester;427772]
Originally Posted by Vukie:

1990 42 teams entered all but five entered T backup cars as well
"there used to be 10-20 teams bumped every year"

You said "bumped" not "cars entered" Two different things.

Cars entered and teams are two different things.

In 1990 97 cars were entered.

In 1984 117 cars were entered, most of them were **** boxes.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, fish
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #28 9/29/15 4:01 PM
Sorry I worded it wrong. All I meant is that there was only one team that showed that didn't make the race this year and its not looking good beyond next year which Im sure being the 100th there will be interest in.

Charles Nungester
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #29 9/29/15 4:08 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
....and its not looking good beyond next year.....
Not to hijack the thread from the original topic, but it will be interesting to see what happens in 2017. I am expecting more bad than good.

Back to "Tony Stewart": I really do hope he steps in somewhere for IndyCars. Not so much driving or owning cars, but an official position on the overall board of directors. He would be the best thing for that series coming down the pipe.
5 Likes: Charles Nungester, har59, PIT CART, speed bump, Wizard 05
sprntr (Offline)
  #30 9/29/15 5:14 PM
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike:
...but an official position on the overall board of directors. He would be the best thing for that series coming down the pipe.
If Tony had a seat on the board, I guarantee that there would very quickly be a change of ownership. One dose of the truth from Tony would cause Mom & the girls to die of shock.
6 Likes: duel, jim goerge, K9Racer, mtek56, speed bump, Wizard 05