IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get started
6/29/15, 11:33 PM   #1
Looking to get started
dakota

Im 19 years old, I'm form east-central Indiana and i'm looking to get started in dirt track racing. Through a little bit of research I found that mini sprint cars are probably the best place for me to start. What's your guys opinion on starting in that class? It seems relativley affordable, as far as racing goes. I plan on saving up a lot over the next year and half or so to get things started. I have people to help me out in terms of working on cars, because i have a lot to learn. I know the basics but nothing about working on race cars. i'm also kind of confused on how it all works, in terms of the different types of classes. Are most based on engine size? Are there a lot of opportunities to race mini sprints in Indiana? Would it be weird for someone my age to run minis? Anyone know of any upcoming mini sprint races in this area? I've never been to one. I just recently fell in love with dirt track racing after years of watching nascar. My family has been involved in other types of racing but no one in dirt. Any advice, tips, or any other information is super appreciated. Thanks!

6/30/15, 12:56 AM   #2
badcoupe

Mini sprints are a great place to start as things are pretty straightforward. Tq midgets are another avenue. There are currently two tq midget clubs. I believe with minis there is mmsa and you can also run Montpelier with the midgets as a "sportsman" midget. The minis in our area are typically 1000cc straight off a bike with many converted to alcohol. They retain the chain drive etc. Tq run a max 840cc motor and are direct drive like a full midget or sprint car. Go to some races get a pit pass and check things out. Most drivers are friendly and will talk to you about their respective car class etc. this will get you a feel for what goes into owning/ driving one

2 members like this post: dakota, Justigit
6/30/15, 1:02 AM   #3
Re: Looking to get started
dakota

Thanks for the advice!

6/30/15, 5:44 AM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Don't let the term "mini" fool you into thinking they are for kids; an "upright" mini sprint (also known as a lightning sprint) is the exact same physical size as a full USAC/POWRi Midget, the major differences being a mini sprint uses a motorcycle powerplant and chain drive, and doesn't have power steering. I'm 62 and started running one in the Montpelier Midget Series last year and I'm having an absolute blast.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, sprinter14
6/30/15, 7:18 AM   #5
Unlucky#9

This http://www.midwestminisprints.com/schedule.html is probably the best place to get started. Buy a pit pass and come offer to help one of the racers with their car, most often they'll say yes as long as you've got at least some mechanical aptitude. If you're not sure who to talk to, look me up, I'll usually be bombing around the pits on my 4-wheeler trying to get all these misfits organized. If you see someone on a white YFZ450 with an MMSA officials shirt on, that'd be me.

6/30/15, 7:36 AM   #6
staggerman

My recomendation is to head to the pits and find a team that is looking for help. The best way to learn is hands on.

1 member likes this post: Jonr
6/30/15, 7:43 AM   #7
PushEm

The mini sprints will be at Paragon on July 11. Come on out and I will give you a ride in my push truck.

6/30/15, 8:15 AM   #8
red70racer

Another place to look is micro sprints, 600 CC power plants that are affordable and a great place to hone your driving skills. Regardless of which route you take, there are a lot of great people in the racing world that are willing to help. Don't get caught up in all the hype about trick parts, engine etc. get a solid base for a car and power plant, once you've mastered the steering wheel then look for the competitive advantage. Good luck to you and I hope it is everything you wish for
Jeff Palazzolo

6/30/15, 10:20 AM   #9
cmiracingvids

If you can work a wrench and read a air pressure gauge, I'm always looking for a helping hand. I run with the MMSA. Car #2m. I'll be at Paragon on the 11th, and my brother will be there with a sprint car as well. Come hang out in our pits and ask away. Then you can decide if you wanna do sprint or mini sprint. Minis are extremely affordable. You'd be surprised. There's cars out there winning races that are only $4,500!

Colin Miller
2m MMSA mini sprint

2 members like this post: Jonr, staggerman
6/30/15, 10:31 AM   #10
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Is there anyone offering a Mini or Micro Sprint rental program in the area?

When I started racing Modified Lites here in the east I found a guy that had several cars he rented weekly. He also ran a one day racing school and if you completed the racing school you got a rental discount. I completed the school and ran several races through his rental program. Through the school and several races I spent about $1500 bucks not counting my personal racing gear. I got a real good feel of what it was going to take to race competitively in the class and the cost of putting a car on the track and what it would cost if you bent or broke things. In the end I did not pursue racing farther, but I learned a lot and had a great experience without laying out a lot of money on a car and hauler.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get started