IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Buddy Cook RIP
8/17/08, 6:33 PM   #1
Buddy Cook RIP
cecil98

Buddy Cook, a long time employee of Lawrenceburg and other Greater Cincinnati area tracks, perished as a result of a tragic accident during the demolition derby last night (Saturday 8/16/08) at Moler Raceway Park on the east side of Cincinnati. I have not, yet, heard the details of how or, why it happened. Buddy spent most of his life around racing. He was a huge fan, a car owner, father of a driver and a great track official. Buddy worked for me as a flagman and pit steward, among other things, during the three years I was promotor of Lawrenceburg Speedway (1980-81-82). He was an excellent and valued employee in all of the capacities in which he served us. I want to send my heartfelt condolences and prayers to David Cook and the rest of his family. David is a fine local modified driver from the Tri-State area, with several track championships under his belt. David, I am so sorry to hear this news. Your father was a great man and a good friend to many of us in the racing community. He will be missed greatly!

Craig Stevens

8/17/08, 6:57 PM   #2
Re: Buddy Cook RIP
Tim Clauson

Truly saddened, Buddy was one of our first acquaintances we made when we first started running Lawrenceburg in 04. I always got to the track at least 2 hours early for fear I might miss something and the one guy who was always there before us was Buddy. Buddy always made sure we new how much we were appreciated on the nights we ran there and I cherish the times we just talked racing while waiting for the gates to open. Even when things were hectic and I seemed to have my head down and digging Buddy would make sure I stopped if only to say hello.

Our condolences to the family,

Tim, Diana, Bryan, & Taylor Clauson

8/17/08, 7:17 PM   #3
SPRINTCAR

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...a-e36078837db8

8/17/08, 7:19 PM   #4
SPRINTCAR

RIP Buddy, you were a friend to everyone:checkered:
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...a-e36078837db8

8/17/08, 7:24 PM   #5
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 23
Race Count Last Year: 51

This is very tragic news. Buddy was a true race fan; he lived it and loved it. Spent many hours talking to Buddy over the last 10 years, either at the Pit/Grandstand crossover gate, or at Dave’s trailer. He always had some good news or stories to tell. He will be missed! Sorry to hear this, condolences to Dave and the rest of the Cook Family.

:checkered:R.I.P. Buddy:checkered:

Keith

8/17/08, 7:37 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

We'll miss you Buddy! My condolences to the Whole Cook Family and friends.
Chuck:checkered:

8/17/08, 8:30 PM   #7
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

I have gotten to know Buddy over the past 4 years. He had a very big heart. He was always the first one at the track waiting for the gates to open up. I usually would give him a Mid American to read while he waited. We talked alot and he shared with me some knowledge he aquired in his lifetime of racing. Buddy will be missed by everyone at Lawrenceburg Speedway.
Sincerely, Lawrenceburg Speedway Staff

8/17/08, 8:46 PM   #8
FishBurger

What a tragedy. He will be missed big-time. I had missed seeing him at Lawrenceburg with Dave racing the "Cookie Monster" at other tracks for much of the season. Sincere condolences to the Cook family and friends.

8/17/08, 10:01 PM   #9
ThaBurgFan

What a shame!! Buddy will definitely be missed by the racing community. I have had the pleasure of speaking with Buddy several times over the years at the Burg and you couldn't find a nicer fellow to talk to. Our thoughts and prayers go out to David Cook and family.

Shane, Jessica, Corbin, Lauren and Cohen McHenry

8/18/08, 2:02 AM   #10
llp2303

David,
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I don't know what to say, he was a good man I'll never forget the day at the hamilton county fair when he told me I had the whitest legs he'd ever seen. If there's anything we can do please call.

Love,

Lisa, Tony & Jason, Justin & Josh

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Buddy Cook RIP