IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rear axle/hub disassembly question
12/27/14, 5:09 PM   #1
Rear axle/hub disassembly question
ChuckGS

I recently purchased a replica K-K midget that I plan to run in vintage events. I want to get the brake rotor off, which looks like it requires disassembly of the hub and stub axle. I have the caliper off as well as the 3/4" bolt inside the axle but I'm not sure what goes next. I would appreciate any tips. Picture attached.
Thanks,
Chuck Smith
Attached Images
IMG_1749.JPG (1.10 MB, 132 views)

12/27/14, 5:26 PM   #2
Re: Rear axle/hub disassembly question
bzneil

That is a tapered rear hub. You need a special puller and sometimes some heat to get them off. Good thing is you don't need to take the hub off to remove the rotor. They get stuck on there with rust/corrosion but they are not attached to the hub. Tap gently with a hammer and wood block around the rotor and it will com off. Make sure to put the 3/4" bolt back in and torque it down tight. 90-100 Ft.lbs ive been told.

12/28/14, 3:23 PM   #3
ChuckGS

I've removed the mag cover plate, showing the flange and stub axle assembly. This seems to be preventing me from removing the rotor.
Attached Images
IMG_1750.JPG (1.02 MB, 83 views)

12/28/14, 8:41 PM   #4
gearguy

You have some very early rotors there. The "neck down" allows a decent caliper to be used with 12" wheels; something not possible with the later style rotors that can be removed without pulling the hubs. The transition to 13" wheels was in part because of disk brakes, IMHO. Pulling the tapered hubs without the trick tool is not for amateurs. Check around for the tooling.

12/28/14, 9:58 PM   #5
RayPro33

I have a puller for this assembly

Davey Ray
563-650-9564

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rear axle/hub disassembly question