IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smoking at the track
9/21/14, 11:27 AM   #1
Smoking at the track
axman775

Well I'm back again at 4 crown and the same lady is smoking one after another again. I have been going to races all 27 years of my life and never had it be an issue. My question for you IOW, what is the smoking etiquette at a racetrack?

9/21/14, 11:46 AM   #2
Re: Smoking at the track
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

smoke em if you got em

9/21/14, 11:48 AM   #3
TQ29m

I can tell you what I think of it, when I was about 7-8, in the early 50's, may have been the late 40's, we went to our local track on it's usual Thursday night, and I had just gotten my new school cloths, one pr of Monkey Wards blue jeans, and this "women" sitting next to me was smoking, and flipping her ashes on my new blue jeans, I didn't like it, and I said so, and she called me everything you could think of, and my mom darned near gave her a black eye, my point of view, it shows a lack of respect for your neighbor in the next seat, I wouldn't do it, I'd either wait, or go to the smoking area, if they have one, and they should have, run her butt off! Bob

9/21/14, 11:50 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Smoking Ettiquette is tracks should have sections that are non smoking and several do.

As for personally, If Im bothering someone, I go up top and smoke one. Its never bothered me if someone politely said, Sir Your smoke is bothering me. I'll do everything I can to accommodate em, Either move myself or like I said, Go up top.
As I said, Im a smoker, But sometimes someone will fire up a big fat cigar and it gets to me too.

Let me guess, You got reserved seats and are screwed other than to go sit halfway down somewhere. Eldora's a huge place, I hardly ever buy reserved but I have moved a few times.

Mostly because of beyond self control DRUNKS.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/21/14 at 11:52 AM.

9/21/14, 12:04 PM   #5
wrtracing

I can't remember which IOW member it is but in his signature it says "Drink upstream from the herd". Of course I am just kidding and the way I see it the person who is smoking is responsible for contaminating the air other people breathe. I guess it depends on the rules that are in place at that particular venue but if they won't move after being asked politely then I would move upwind.
Last edited by wrtracing; 9/21/14 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling

9/21/14, 12:12 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Thats just it, If there are NO RULES. Meaning no Non smoking sections, Or smoking areas, You really have no choice but to move yourself, Because technically, The smoker is doing nothing wrong.

3 members like this post: dickster, team3521, wrtracing
9/21/14, 12:18 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

There are tracks that even have whats called Family sections, No Smoking or drinking

1 member likes this post: team3521
9/21/14, 12:33 PM   #8
Blitzman

When I did smoke (going on 9 months cold turkey now) I always check my surroundings 1st when I did smoke. Kids near by or in the direction the smoke was blowing I would move or go somewhere else to smoke.. If there was a lot of space around me, I would light up. If it was a packed house, I would wait to see how many other smokers were around me before I lit a ciggy.. Just trying to be thoughtful to other folks as I never smoked around my kids..

3 members like this post: jim goerge, mc/rider, spicoli
9/21/14, 12:35 PM   #9
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

Williams Grove and Port Royal grandstands are completely no smoking areas, I know were I usually sit at Lincoln people smoke but I think there are some non-smoking areas in the grandstand, not sure what the rules are for Susquehanna and Selingsgrove are. Sometimes the smoke bothers me and sometimes it does not. I have a much bigger problem indoors where peoples clothes are reeking with the smell of smoke and heavy doses of perfume. At least with smoke it does go away until they light up again but on clothes and perfume it is there all the time.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, davidm, jim goerge, Xflagman
9/21/14, 12:38 PM   #10
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Being a former smoker(18 months/ congrats blitzman) I always tried to b considerate of people around me. I don't mind a little smoke reminds me of why I quit.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, spicoli
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smoking at the track