IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #1 8/10/14 12:00 PM
Friday Night at Spartan Speedway, on the undercard for the Pavement Sprints was the Bandolero division. Small kits cars. The drivers are anywhere from 8-14 years old they said.

In one of the heats, on the last lap coming through Turn 4, the car leading was punted by the second place car. Classic right fender to left rear. The flagman checkered it as the now lead car (former second place car) crossed the line first. The previous lead car spun and wound up crossing the line last out of 6-7 cars.

Immediately the car doing the punting was DQ-ed. Nothing new. So who gets the win - the car that was SPUN and crossed the line last! Not the second car crossing the line.

Never saw a call like that. Anyone else? Usually you get the DQ and whoever was first after that gets the win. The car spun...... tough luck. Now, granted, these are kids racing, and maybe there is a "fair play" rule, or something? Is this a rule/call used in karting by chance?

Just wondering.....
2 Likes: speed bump, team3521
team3521 (Offline)
  #2 8/10/14 1:10 PM
I have a feeling Mike, if you continue visiting Spartan Speedway, you're going to continue seeing calls like what you described. Kind of like a box of chocolate, ya neva know what cha goin ta get...
The directors up there are not real consitent.
rstar00 (Offline)
  #3 8/10/14 1:15 PM
I have seen this happen a few time not in "kids" races. I have never seen what you described with the third place guy getting the win. I think what should have happened is the yellow should have came out not the checkered. Put he guy who punted the leader to the back of the field, reset the filed to the last lap and rerun the final lap.
3 Likes: Joey Woods, schwarzracen27, spicoli
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #4 8/10/14 4:19 PM
I like it. Too often young kids watch their "heroes" race on TV. The rubbin' is racin' deal. Nice to see tracks trying to break the young guys of the habit. Your heroes may be doing it, but it doesn't make it right.
4 Likes: Danny Burton, dirtnonwingfan, fish, jim goerge
Melmo (Offline)
  #5 8/10/14 4:54 PM
Hey go to a quarter midget race
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #6 8/10/14 5:09 PM
Many tracks have a "Rough driving" rule. One that gives the driver *Punted* their spot back on a restart. I'm guessing since the checker was thrown instead of a caution, They Gave the spot back.

Personally I hate judgment calls. Only one I really accept is to DQ someone from that Event/Race if someone took somebody else out. As for the victim, He was a victim of something and should go to the tail. Could have been a flat or anything, Thats racing.

Charles Nungester
NeddDogg28 (Offline)
  #7 8/10/14 6:25 PM
I have witnessed a race like this in the UMRA tqs on pavement in new castle at mount lawn speedway I was actually racing in that race when terry goff was leading and I forget who the other driver was got into him going into the hairpin corner 3/4 on the last lap. Terry got into the wall and stopped short of the finish line by about six feet and was still declared the winner. Blew my mind that night too.
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #8 8/10/14 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by NeddDogg28:
I have witnessed a race like this in the UMRA tqs on pavement in new castle at mount lawn speedway I was actually racing in that race when terry goff was leading and I forget who the other driver was got into him going into the hairpin corner 3/4 on the last lap. Terry got into the wall and stopped short of the finish line by about six feet and was still declared the winner. Blew my mind that night too.
Wow. So it HAS happened before. Strangest thing I saw all year, myself.

team3521, as soon as I get some time, I'll private message you and give you the lowdown of the last 13-14 years, or so. Good to see you. I got to chat with your Mom for a little while post race and say "Hi" to your Dad. Nice little son, too.
Tom23 (Offline)
  #9 8/11/14 12:58 AM
I once saw a quartermidget race where the winner was sitting on a pit cart when the checkers flew. And no it had nothing to do with tech. Damndest thing I've seen
bn kleen (Offline)
  #10 8/11/14 9:31 AM
Never would make that call when I was flagging karts. 2nd place after the spin should've been the winner after the dq. I'm going out on a limb and say some favortizime from the scoring stand.