IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it an indiana or USAC thing
6/13/14, 9:48 AM   #1
Is it an indiana or USAC thing
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I've been to quite a few POWRI shows this yr in Missouri and Illinois . Last night was my 1st USAC show in indiana and I was introduced to something new . People openly cheering when any of the 3 black nred Toyotas encountered trouble . I have never and will never root against any other driver . There r people that I like more than others but never happy about anyone's misfortune . Is this an indiana , USAC , or random aholes? I'm hoping it was the latter cause I can set elsewhere if I see them again .

1 member likes this post: AB Racing
6/13/14, 10:03 AM   #2
Re: Is it an indiana or USAC thing
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

There are always a few in every crowd. It has always troubled me when someone cheers at anothers misfortune. I have seen "fans"? openly cheer when a driver flips. I have seen that if you win too much, people turn rather quickly. Nature of the beast I guess.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6 members like this post: dshort36, jim goerge, loosewheel, Nate, Pat O'Connor Fan, team3521
6/13/14, 10:25 AM   #3
Smeents

It's not an Indiana or a USAC thing, it's a pathetic jealousy thing. Rather than working harder to beat someone, let's just be stupid and cheer when something bad happens to them. IMO - there's no room in racing for anyone that cheers on crashing...too much risk for being hurt.

6/13/14, 10:26 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I don't condone booing anyone. Do I get a little happier if some drivers win over others Id say so and its only mostly because I've met them that make em more of a favorite to me.

However. This is far from anything new, far from a indiana thing and USAC has nothing to do with it. Dale Sr. and Steve Kinser had a ton of haters back in the 80s and 90s. I don't get the cheering a wreck. However knowing someone else, now can win..............?

Also However and I'll give this example. I was at THE FIELD a few weeks back and there was a big two night Powri show in IL going on same night and some fans around me were informing me on Powri. I said I can tell you the top four before they even race, I had all the drivers right and only third and fourth were swapped in finishing order. If I could pick horse races like this. I could be a team owner and not a fan

I have no doubt that Bell and Abreu are among the best of the best and I root for them. However, It's always a bit sweeter when a underdog wins.

I was reading through the ARDC rules the other day and wonder why the toyotas are banned? I got nothing against Toyota, But if its anything like Mopar was entering Sprint cars. Open up the checkbook, its gonna take a boatload of cash to catch em
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/13/14 at 10:28 AM.

4 members like this post: DAD, speed bump, team3521, wright59
6/13/14, 11:14 AM   #5
addictedtodirt

The cheering I heard immediately after the Bell flip in a KKR car was for the driver being ok. Had nothing to do with cheering for a car out of the race.

As for the booing...didn't hear any myself, but last I checked, this is America and you are free to boo if you like. The Swindells get booed a lot and I never heard a one of them complain about it.

2 members like this post: agar, larsonfan
6/13/14, 11:20 AM   #6
DAD

Dirt

When we was born God gave us all an A-Hole, thank goodness. I know I would miss mine. Some people just choose to show theirs a little more than others. The best always seem to draw out these type of people to root against them. How about the Swindell's, Jeff Gordon, Dale Eaenhardt, and even Steve Kinser. The fan's that jeer probably don't share your love of the sport, or your appreciation for ability and talent exhibited on the track. I learned a long time ago to just tune them out.

These fans come to the race track for the action they can witness at the race track. To them action is a car flipping down the front stretch, and not a perfectly executed slide job, or watching a driver setting up the guy in front to make that pass when they get into lapped traffic.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Flatrightrear
6/13/14, 11:27 AM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I really noticed it first when I started going to WoO races, at that time 86-87 Steve would win on average two of every three and sometimes rip off eight or nine in a row. At kings royal's (That he didnt win and crashed a big portion would stand and be cheering about it and yell at you, IN YOUR FACE etc. I have to say it always bothered me. But also the drunk Kinser fan who did the same thing before a feature or after he won is kinda the reason i quit going. to them big events.

Some drivers handle it better than others. It bugs some drivers and teams and *Rightly so* Others like Steve and Karl would wave the Big check at the fans standing booing them in victory lane. If not give them the big #1 signal.

Crashes are part of the sport, IMHO they are thrilling and also scary and I'd say it'd be taking away from the thrill of the sport if they didn't happen. HOWEVER, I've never left a event where there wasn't any flips thinking I was missing something. Or if they went green to checker. Wrecks happen for many different reasons. I can't fault a driver who was giving their all, doing something the others weren't to gain possition and wrecks. ANYONE CAN PLAY IT SAFE and sometimes thats the smart move also.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/13/14 at 11:32 AM.

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
6/13/14, 11:48 AM   #8
monkeyboy

I thought it was a sporting event. Do you guys cheer when tom brady beats you're team Or if lebron beats you in the playoffs? This isn't golf. Give me a break if you're getting booed your doing something right mainly winning. If someones booing cheer against them or boo their driver you may actually gasp have fun.

6/13/14, 11:59 AM   #9
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I thought it was a sporting event. Do you guys cheer when tom brady beats you're team Or if lebron beats you in the playoffs? This isn't golf. Give me a break if you're getting booed your doing something right mainly winning. If someones booing cheer against them or boo their driver you may actually gasp have fun.
Are you justifying cheering when someone crashes? Do you cheer at a football game if a player gets his leg broken? Sorry I have a hard time seeing someone crashing a race car as some level of Fun!

5 members like this post: illiNOISE, ISF, jim goerge, PJ Wright, Ty
6/13/14, 12:06 PM   #10
Kinser11

I think next we need to do away with scoring, and just give participation ribbons. Everyone is a winner! And people wonder why crowds are down, with out passion for the drivers, and teams, why go? Next they will complain about them racing side by side! This isn't little league.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is it an indiana or USAC thing