IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Grand Prix
4/6/14, 7:41 PM   #1
Kokomo Grand Prix
Tim Watson

I know i'm setting myself up for asking this question but as of now it's just a question and not something that will determine if we make a road trip or not cause we are planning on hitting it. Just wondering about car count. I know USAC and POWRi guys will be there but any surprises in store for this show?

1 member likes this post: Claybird33
4/6/14, 10:25 PM   #2
Re: Kokomo Grand Prix
ossuks

POWER I is 35 strong, add in 3 or 4 from BADGER, 2 or 3 from Oklahoma club, 2 or 3 surprises, usac,s 5-7 and you will have 50+.

4/6/14, 11:42 PM   #3
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
I know i'm setting myself up for asking this question but as of now it's just a question and not something that will determine if we make a road trip or not cause we are planning on hitting it. Just wondering about car count. I know USAC and POWRi guys will be there but any surprises in store for this show?
Tim I was just getting ready to post the same question.

Who (which drivers) will be there?

Can we get a drivers list of who going to be there?

Been to Kokomo many times but never for any type of Midget race.

Looking to make the trip from Northwest Indiana for this race with a few family members.

ALSO wondering how many 600's will be there as well.

1 member likes this post: Tim Watson
4/7/14, 12:01 AM   #4
Gibson863

Hopefully there is a strong midget count (50+) and a good showing for micros. I heard some guys that don't have midget rides were looking for a micro ride. But hey, if there is only 20 cars it will be an awesome show regardless.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, Sprintfan1985, Tim Watson
4/7/14, 12:40 AM   #5
Sprintfan1985

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 55

With it being a POWRi show with USAC, there will be several midgets there. I'd say atleast 40-50 as I saw a few were coming from the east coast already plus your regulars with the two sanctioning bodies. There will be several 600's I'm sure as well. Several with POWRi and then there are several here in Indiana that run locally around Kokomo. The show will be great no matter what. Kokomo speedway puts on great events all year long. Can't wait until Friday to be sitting out there with a cold one in my hand and praying for some awesome weather

4 members like this post: mc/rider, nathans1012, speed bump, Tim Watson
4/7/14, 8:46 AM   #6
RxIxCxH

Race Count This Year: 25
Race Count Last Year: Lots

This should be a FAN-tastic show. Kokomo always delivers great racing, can't wait for Friday ! ! ! !
Last edited by RxIxCxH; 4/7/14 at 9:41 AM.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, racing2bwithu2
4/7/14, 4:49 PM   #7
Andrew S. Quinn

Bell Takes His Perfect 2014 Season Record to the Kokomo Grand Prix

Monday, April 7th 2014

While 2013 was a sensational season for Christopher Bell, the 19-year-old driver has proved he is not letting off in 2014. Bell swept the 2-night POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget 2014 season opener at Port City Raceway in Tulsa, Oklahoma. After only one weekend, Bell is already halfway to matching his 2013 POWRi feature wins total.

"It was pretty cool to be able to go to Oklahoma and sweep the weekend," Bell said. "Port City is actually my home track, so it was a great way to start the season."

The pair of feature wins gives Bell a 70 point lead over the 2013 POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Champion Zach Daum going into the Kokomo Grand Prix on Friday, April 11th and Saturday, April 12th. Kokomo Speedway in Kokomo, Indiana will host the two-day POWRi/USAC co-sanctioned race. With a large car count of experienced and successful midget drivers expected, Bell must continue to be flawless in order to stay on top.

"I've been lucky enough to have run at Kokomo a few times, so hopefully we can continue our success there this weekend. Keith Kunz gives me a great car every race, so we always have a chance to do well," Bell commented.

The Keith Kunz/Curb-Agajanian Motorsports Bullet-Toyota has carried Bell to his early 2014 POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget points lead. Bell's Toyota motor has helped him achieve success on midget racing's biggest stages, as he claimed the 2013 USAC Midget championship and a podium finish at the 2014 Chili Bowl Nationals. Bell expects his Toyota motor to continue to have consistent success during the 2014 season.

"Last year we won the USAC championship and it's really a credit to the guys at Toyota," Bell stated. "They give us a motor that doesn't give us problems, so we are able to stay consistent all season."

After getting rained out at Macon Speedway last week, the Kokomo Grand Prix will be the POWRi Speedway Motors 600cc Outlaw Micro Series 2014 season opener. 2013 POWRi Micro champion Nathan Benson plans to make the trip to Kokomo Speedway for the first race of the season. When commenting on how it feels to start the 2014 season as the 2013 Micro champion, Benson stated, "It feels really great. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going from last year and get a good start to the season."

As a true champion, Benson has continued to improve during the off-season. "I've been building cars and selling them to people. That has helped me get better," Benson said. "I raced at the Shootout, and we did well there. I've also raced at home a few times. We haven't raced a ton during the off-season, but we're ready for 2014."

POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series Driver Points - Top 10: 1. Christopher Bell (400) 2. Zach Daum (330) 3. Tanner Thorson (300) 4. Tyler Thomas (300) 5. Alex Sewell (240) 6. Justin Peck (210) 7. Darren Hagen (170) 8. Daniel Robinson (170) 9. Rico Abreu (150) 10. Matt Sherrell (150)

For further information, go to www.POWRi.com.

4/7/14, 5:35 PM   #8
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
POWER I is 35 strong, add in 3 or 4 from BADGER, 2 or 3 from Oklahoma club, 2 or 3 surprises, usac,s 5-7 and you will have 50+.
I would say that is probably a little high. POWRI had a strong show in Oklahoma, but I don't believe they took 35 with them. Throw a couple of Montpelier guys, and I am guessing mid 40's, which for me is a near perfect number.

2 members like this post: racinstacie, Tim Watson
4/7/14, 5:47 PM   #9
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

I honestly believe there will be 45+ cars there..I think drivers that normally aren't in a midget will be for these 2 events.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Tim Watson
4/7/14, 9:00 PM   #10
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

There are 44 on the entry list.. An absolute stacked field.. I am still banking on 45+..weather looks great after today highs in the low 60s Friday and upper 60s Saturday.. Should be a great show

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, johnnythunderhead, luckybuc97, racinstacie
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Grand Prix