IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What a race!!
11/24/13, 10:03 AM   #1
What a race!!
cowboyhar69

Some of you know my passion for motorcycles and especially the AMA flat track bikes. Here is a video from this years Grand National race at Springfield, Ill. Turn the volume up and watch it full screen...doesn't get much better than this...nothing like going 4 wide into turn 3 on lap 5!! They run this year at Springfield on Sunday May 25th and also Labor Day weekend. Brandon Robinson on #44 was the winner. As info the #42 ridden by Bryan Smith is owned by former USAC Sprint car driver (and the son of Hoosier Hundred winner Jackie Howerton) Rick Howerton.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

11/24/13, 12:26 PM   #2
Re: What a race!!
Jerry Spencer

I bought my first Harley in the early 70s we never missed a flat track race and because of that Josh wanted to run the flat track miles, he rides now but I told him that was something he had to do on his own we would help if it had four wheels but I really kinda discouraged him from the flat track deal.

The riders are a truely talented group of people but Sarah and I wanted a little more around Josh. We still love watching them run and sometimes wonder what if but that was a decision we made.

Thanks for the clip, nice to sit back and watch on a cold November morning.

Jerry #66j

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, UberKuhlMan
11/24/13, 12:32 PM   #3
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

One of these has been on my bucket list for a long time. There must be some time I can put one together with a sprint/midget weekend trip.

1 member likes this post: cowboyhar69
11/24/13, 1:36 PM   #4
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
One of these has been on my bucket list for a long time. There must be some time I can put one together with a sprint/midget weekend trip.
They only run about 15 AMA grand national point races a year. The schedule comes out about mid December...I'll post it on here when they have it out. I do know they are at the Lima, Ohio fairgrounds on June 28th. This year the HAR full time mechanic and I rode up their on Friday morning, caught the All Star Speed Week show at Limaland on Friday night, stayed over but unfortunately the bike race was rained out on Saturday night and the Sunday afternoon rain date was also rained out.

Some of you know Eric Church who lives in Westfield, Ind. and he always goes to the Springfield mile on Sunday afternoon of Labor Day weekend and then drives down to Duquion for the Silver Crown race.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Last edited by cowboyhar69; 11/24/13 at 1:40 PM. Reason: addition

11/24/13, 2:37 PM   #5
racephoto1

I go to the Indy Mile ,AFTER the Champ Dirt Cars at Springfield.It's a wicked trip and one day it may cost me a donation to the Indiana State Police, but it's worth it. I'd love to shoot the Springfield mile Labor Day weekend, but I can't miss a sprint car race. Here's Bryan Smith on his way to payday at the Indy Mile this year.

I must say this, it's an awesome show to see, and definitely worth the price of admission.

IMG_3963 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr

5 members like this post: cmakin, cowboyhar69, luckybuc97, TNRustler, UberKuhlMan
11/24/13, 3:13 PM   #6
JstAbvVMC

Got to watch them run the Sacramento Mile several years ago. As an open wheel dirt fan I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong that was some really cool stuff. Those guys get with the program, the speeds and close racing is awesome. I highly recommend attending one of the mile events if you get the chance it's well worth it.

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, racephoto1
11/24/13, 3:40 PM   #7
cowboyhar69

They also put on a whale of a show on the half miles....the Lima Fairgrounds is always a great race

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2 members like this post: Koonzee, PIT CART
11/24/13, 5:00 PM   #8
SPRINTCAR

They use to race them during the 60's at Lawrenceburg on the half mile. One guy crashed and his bike was hanging from the top of the fence. Them boys have some kahunas' now!

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, racephoto1, UberKuhlMan
11/24/13, 6:18 PM   #9
Flatrightrear

Use to see these guys run every year at Louisville Downs on the half-mile harness track during the late '70's and 1980's and also at Du Quoin every year. I never understood why they dropped Du Qouin as the crowd was always huge and the racing just like on this video. Really wish somebody would get it together and promote that race again. Do you remember Haubstadt had these guys about 12 years or so ago? They are better on a bigger track but the crowd was good and so was the racing.

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, luckybuc97
11/24/13, 7:53 PM   #10
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

They always put on a very entertaining show no matter where they run. We have caught them at Indy the past few years and were extremely disappointed that they dropped Greenville, OH. My former boss had great seats that you could almost high 5 them coming down the front straightaway.

I have always heard Springfield was an excellent show and I was also disappointed when they dropped DuQuoin from the schedule. Looking forward to seeing the 2014 schedule. Well worth the effort to see these guys & gals put on a show. The AMA make it an event not just another race.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, racephoto1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What a race!!