IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dick Trickle Tribute article I thought was great!
11/20/13, 11:42 AM   #1
Dick Trickle Tribute article I thought was great!
team3521

It's a couple of months old and it's long, but very well written article.
I enjoyed the comments after also.
I thought maybe a few on this site might find it interesting too.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...=articlebottom

7 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, awon24, dirt330, erich45, Half fast, smith19, turn4
11/20/13, 1:12 PM   #2
Re: Dick Trickle Tribute article I thought was great!
tim brown

Great article Thanks for posting Big Dick Trickle Fan !!!!

1 member likes this post: JackSam40
11/21/13, 4:47 AM   #3
Flatrightrear

Great article. Always enjoyed checking out ASA at Salem and watching Dick, Senneker, Eddy, Gregory, Martin and all the rest.

11/27/13, 1:52 AM   #4
Scooter23

I was extremely fortunate to get to work with ASA as an official in the summer of 1983. This was during the heyday of ASA, with the likes of Trickle, Martin, Kulwicki, Davey Allison, the Wallace brothers, and many more competing every weekend across the US. Dick was a legend even at that time, and one of my fondest memories of working the races was, at every race, without fail, when the yellow flags would come out for incidents on the track, I would be dispatched by Rex Robbins of ASA to go down to Trickle's pit and instruct his crew chief to do one of two things: it was either A., 'TELL DICK TO PUT OUT THE CIGARETTE!', or B., 'TELL DICK TO PUT HIS GLOVES BACK ON!', or both.
I saw him many years later in the pits at a NASCAR race in Charlotte, and although I hadn't seen him for 10 years you would have thought he had been reunited with long-lost family. We talked and talked and reminisced about the good old days of ASA.
It's sad to know now that such a fierce competitor on the track battled such physical and emotional pain and was unable to find earthy relief.
Rest in peace, friend.

6 members like this post: CRA91, DaveP63, luckybuc97, team3521, tim brown, turn4
11/27/13, 3:08 PM   #5
team3521

I used to go to the grocery store with my parents when I was a kid and I would be in the magazine area the entire time they were gathering their goods. I would sit on the floor and read "Circle Track" and "Open Wheel" magazines. Once in a while, someone would leave a Playboy where I could reach it and I would sneak a look into them too.

I was just a kid, but I remember Dick Trickle from those days from those articles in Circle Track magazine. I always thought that he was the best because that was the way they wrote him up. I remembered him as a winner and not because he had a funny name.

We lost a legend when he died. He is a breed that won't be anymore. No one really dominates in any series anymore and all the "cookie cutter" kids racing now are not really Marlboro men like Dick was. The men that were of that era were men and weren't afraid of not being politically correct to please the sponsors.

Rest in peace Mr. Trickle

1 member likes this post: turn4
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dick Trickle Tribute article I thought was great!