IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Grain Valley
5/12/13, 5:34 PM   #1
Grain Valley
Avon Open Wheel fan

Per Grain Valley Twitter post it appears another track is close to being shut down by upset neighbors.

City once again targets Valley Speedway

It would appear that the new City administrator is targeting Valley Speedway. Here is a communication that was sent out from the home owners association that has been trying to shut down the race track:

Also, the new City Hall Manager would like to invite GV residence to attend the Monthly City Hall meeting May 13th to voice their dislike and concern with the speed race track noise. Our new City Manager is surprised that this has gone on so long and there appears to be some city ordinance regarding noise levels, that should never have allowed this to go on. Call City Hall for a meeting time.

The race track has not been notified of this meeting by the city. I'm not sure where this is going to go but if you can attend this meeting and show your support. This effects the car track, sand drag, and the MX track.

The city manager told me she gets complaints everytime we race and she is tired of the calls. If you don't have time to come to the meeting and calls is what they like then lets start calling them and let them know the benefits of a race track and let them know how much money you spend in Grain Valley while you are at one of these race facilities. If you call be professional and courteous, we do have friends on the council. A lot of our teams and fans come from out of town and stay in the motels and shop in Grain Valley while they are here, call them and let them know.

The meeting is tomorrow night at Grain Valley city hall at 6 pm. Make your calls are before the meeting if you are unable to attend.

Mayor Mike Todd 816-719-9436

City Manager Alexa Barton 816-847-6218

Alderman:

Scott Schaffer 816-807-2243

Dale Arnold 816-847-5940

Yolanda West 816-847-5464

Chuck Johnson 816-847-8333

Bob Headly 816-847-7537

Mike Scully 816-847-2611

Remember be nice and professionsl.

5/12/13, 10:17 PM   #2
fasster23

They've had to deal with the city pretty much since it opened but I think they'll be ok. The track is responsible for bringing open wheel racing back to KC with non wing sprints and now they've started running midgets with them this year. They also run several specials with POWRi ASCS USAC & USMTS. I would guess part of the problem is that they run two nights with open wheel on Friday and modifieds and SS on Saturday. They do require mufflers and have encased the entire race track with semi trailers to help block the noise. With them being the only place to run non wing other than the WAR Series a lot of guys got a lot of money riding on it surviving. Time will tell.

Posted via Mobile Device

5/12/13, 11:05 PM   #3
Re: Grain Valley
racephoto1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasster23 View Post
They've had to deal with the city pretty much since it opened but I think they'll be ok. The track is responsible for bringing open wheel racing back to KC with non wing sprints and now they've started running midgets with them this year. They also run several specials with POWRi ASCS USAC & USMTS. I would guess part of the problem is that they run two nights with open wheel on Friday and modifieds and SS on Saturday. They do require mufflers and have encased the entire race track with semi trailers to help block the noise. With them being the only place to run non wing other than the WAR Series a lot of guys got a lot of money riding on it surviving. Time will tell.

Posted via Mobile Device
Seems like to me the guys with the money on it should show up at the meeting. It's a lot better if the people that are for the track, fill the hall, then the ones against it.

5/12/13, 11:22 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Get every gas station owner, motel owner, car wash owner and, Restaurant etc that benifits from the track and the business it generates in there. Let them know there is several thousands of tax dollars generated every time they race. Is there not a muffler rule?. I would think the track would vollentaraly require one at least to keep it under 80db at a half mile from the facility

Last, Find out the percentage of residents complaining that have live there longer than the track.

Just some ideas. I know LBurg Fought with this for years.

3 members like this post: cwfan08, jim goerge, mowerman
5/15/13, 12:56 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Because of sound concerns the USMTS race has been cancelled this Thursday. The Fast Friday and Super Saturday events are still on for this weekend. The ASCS National event is still on and all sprint cars will be required to run the new ASCS spec muffler. Valley Speedway is excited about working with the city in coming up with a solution so everyone can continue to enjoy the race track

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, fasster23
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Grain Valley