IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gears for R1 and tachometer wire
4/18/13, 4:47 PM   #1
Gears for R1 and tachometer wire
Andrew Martin

Hi everone
I am new to minisprints and I am running a R1 08 on a 1/4 mile clay track. I have a 11 tooth sprocket on the front and a 50 on the back. What gear should I be in or what final ratio? The tacho wire (there are 2 coded the same colour) has no signal so I have no idea on the revs.
Thanks for any help
Andrew

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

4/18/13, 9:22 PM   #2
Re: Gears for R1 and tachometer wire
97juicedgmc

not sure if you will want a 11 tooth front, you may want like a 13-14 tooth front we run 1/4 mile tracks here and i know every 1/4 mile is different due to banking or shape of track but we run 14 front and 49-51 rear in 2nd gear.... the 49 at a bulling type track and a 50 or 51 at a long straight tight turn paper clip type track.... looking at a gear chart you should prob start with a baseline some where around the 11.0-11.6 final ratio. you can acheive this many ways according to the chart like a 14-52 and 13-48 will yield nearly the same ratios in 2nd gear.... from what ive seen usually we and everyone else tries to run second maybe 3rd gear, looks like with your current combo you would have to run 4th to acheive something close to 11.0-11.6 never tried dont know how well that would work for ya but i know a 11 tooth front sprocket may be tough on a chain

http://speedpartz.com/images/r1_0411.pdf

4/19/13, 1:22 AM   #3
Andrew Martin

Thanks for that. It confirms what I thought. I have looked for a 14 tooth sprocket in Australia with no luck. Does anyone know if another make 14 tooth fit or do you have them custom made?
Is there a supplier in the USA that will ship to Australia.
Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

4/19/13, 5:43 AM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Martin View Post
Thanks for that. It confirms what I thought. I have looked for a 14 tooth sprocket in Australia with no luck. Does anyone know if another make 14 tooth fit or do you have them custom made?
Is there a supplier in the USA that will ship to Australia.
Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Try www.speedpartz.com, in the Cincinnati, Ohio area
(513.874.2034); they list R1 front sprockets in a range of 12-17 teeth. Not sure if they ship overseas but if you give them a call I'm sure they can get you pointed in the right direction.

4/19/13, 4:34 PM   #5
97juicedgmc

where are the other races getting there parts from? im sure he can get it to you but overseas shipping is as much as the part or more

4/26/13, 6:30 PM   #6
Andrew Martin

Thanks everyone. Have to watch the predictive text

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

4/26/13, 8:27 PM   #7
TQ29m

If you know who to hook up with, there is usually a container on the water every week, for the big stuff, USPS isn't that bad, or that slow, I ship stuff overseas/downunder all the time, no problem, getting some ready for Sweden, and some for Germany right now, but most of the guys have their stuff shipped to an exporter in Ca, that usually goes by container for cars and large parts. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gears for R1 and tachometer wire