IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AVSS/HOSS/MUST SEE scene, changes?
2/8/13, 11:42 PM   #1
AVSS/HOSS/MUST SEE scene, changes?
nerffan

Fans and drivers alike....would you guys like to see some changes to bring out some of the cars that are just sitting idle? My dad and I were talking it over and I'm just interested to see what everyone thinks. Sprint car racing, or any racing is by no means a poor man's game but it seems like as the poor get poorer in today's world...only the rich are able to race. We are big fans of the winged pavement stuff up by us, and were debating what changes could be made to bring some of the guys just sitting around out. I know a fair amount about the workings of the teams and budget needs because I used to wrench on a few. I'm no expert by any means but I just wanted to see what the opinions were (without starting a huge angry debate). Basically what we said in a nutshell is the Must See deal seems great because of the pay, and the American Racer tire seems to last great. The bad part is the little guys don't seem to be able to come out for Must See because the big tracks and rules allow the huge engines to run away with things. The AVSS/HOSS deal is good, but the tires are big money and you need to buy alot more of them; plus they don't pay the guys as well. Do you think Must See would benefit from evening the playing field somehow on the motors, or would maybe AVSS/HOSS making some kind of tire rule be good for them? We just thought if one of those series tried one of those things, maybe some guys would come back out.

1 member likes this post: Puppy
2/9/13, 12:55 AM   #2
zerospeed

If I was gonna change something I'd come up with a formula for some kind of cheaper motor like a 23 deg head steel block that gets a weight break maybe. Make big motors run 1700lb and the new option 1600lbs or something. You're never going to win though...people would be flipping out about adding weight. Rules are a neverending bi*** fest.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: smith19
2/9/13, 2:30 AM   #3
Re: AVSS/HOSS/MUST SEE scene, changes?
mortboyz

You mean Don Wilshe is not/or doesn't have the answer?????

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Crankin, donwilshe, Speedwrench
2/9/13, 6:17 AM   #4
ossuks

Not sure of the best cost cutting idea, but my guess is tires. Still confused how these clubs run for 60% of the purse that USAC pavement cars raced for and they continue to race with full fields and TV while the USAC pavement sprints went belly up?? My guess would be leadership ??

1 member likes this post: duel
2/9/13, 9:42 AM   #5
sprintracer82

American racer tires, 23 degree heads, no wings. And add a sensible tire rule and you will have a more level playing field.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
2/9/13, 10:25 AM   #6
bgerster

Must See already has a weight break written in the rule book.

Race cars with engines larger than 360 CID must weigh a minimum of 1600 pounds with
driver, after the race. Cars with cast block iron engines 360 CID or less must weigh 1500
pounds with driver, after the race, (excludes aluminum block engines).

bg

2 members like this post: 50mcrewguy, fish
2/9/13, 10:50 AM   #7
smith19

what do the supers weigh?

2/9/13, 10:55 AM   #8
ASPHALT24

i think most supers are right around 1800 lbs.

1 member likes this post: smith19
2/9/13, 11:16 AM   #9
sprintracer82

I can tell you that 100 pound weight break for the 360s is a joke. I would take the 100 pounds over the loss of 200 plus horsepower and the higher roll center of the cast iron engine.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/9/13, 12:42 PM   #10
nerffan

That's cool that there already is a weight break I didn't know that. What do you think the real solution is for the weight/hp rule? Is 50lbs really enough, or would you need 100+?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AVSS/HOSS/MUST SEE scene, changes?