IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Clay County Speedway results 8-18
8/20/12, 9:13 AM   #1
Clay County Speedway results 8-18
mscs20

SPRINTS
HEAT 1
TERRY BABB, MATT HUMPHREY, ANTHONY LEOHR, STEVE THOMAS, CAMERON KNELL, ALEX PETTAS,
PETE PALAZZOLO, CHET WILLIAMS

HEAT 2
KENTON DOBBS, KENT SCHMIDT, PATRICK BUDDE, DONNY BRACKETT, TOMMY ROCKWELL,
AL THOMAS, ARIC GENTRY

FEATURE
TERRY BABB, TOMMY ROCKWELL, MATT HUMPRHEY, STEVE THOMAS, PETE PALAZZOLO,
DONNY BRACKETT, AL THOMAS, CAMERON KNELL, CHET WILLIAMS, ALEX PETTAS, KEATON DOBBS,
KENT SCHMIDT, PATRICK BUDDE, ANTHONY LEOHR, ARIC GENTRY DNS

MODIFIEDS
HEAT 1
BILL DUGGER, EVERETT BRADHAM, TIM LEWIS JR, TROY DUGGER, DOUG BONNELL, LYNSEY LAMONT,
RALPH HALLERAN

HEAT 2
TYLER NICELY, MICHEAL BOLYARD, CODY ALDRICH, DEREK KELLERMAN, CHARLIE SNOW,
CLAY LANE, LANCE FOREMAN

HEAT 3
LARRY ANDERSON, BILLY LEWIS, TYLER WEISS, MIKE GALLOWAY, EVAN MUSGRAVE, FRED COX,
TIM LEWIS JR

FEATURE
LARRY ANDERSON, EVERETT BRADHAM, MICHEAL BOLYARD, BILL DUGGER, TYLER WEISS,
TYLER NICELY, MIKE GALLOWAY, BILLY LEWIS, TIM LEWIS JR, EVAN MUSGRAVE, LANCE FOREMAN,
DEREK KELLERMAN, LYNSEY LAMONT, FRED COX, MATT LANE, CHARLES SNOW, CODY ALDRICH,
RALPH HALLERAN, TROY DUGGER, DOUG BONNELL, TIM LEWIS JR DNS

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: 767, Mud Packer, Pat O'Connor Fan, skids59
8/20/12, 10:03 AM   #2
Re: Clay County Speedwayy results 8-18

Made my first ever trip to Clay County Speedway. High banked 3/8ths mile track. Track looked pretty good for sprint cars. Heat races were pretty average. The feature however was very good. 2 and sometimes 3 grooves of racing. Great battle in the top 3. Really enjoyed the sprints. Lot of good racing in the Mods, but the spin outs were Horrible. I think it took an hour to run the feature. under green could not ask for anything more. Lot of side by side running.

Now for an outsider traveling in to the track, I have a few tips. This track really looks like a diamond in the rough. Track surface prep looked pretty good. Track was not rutted out, actually looked really smooth. The facility needs some major attention. Not really money wise, just labor. Not sure what was up with the fence on the front straight laying on the ground? The catch fence all looked good, this was something extra. If it is of no use, get it out of there. Nothing but a trip hazzord and makes the place look trashy. Weedeat the weeds along the front straight. There are not alot of them, just enough to be annoying. 10min worth of work. 1 more thing that makes the place look trashy. The Dog panel fence to separate the pit stands from the Regular stands. Just a little bit of time and labor put in to just improve the looks. This would go a long way with people traveling in.

As for the program, the long intermission was pretty annoying. 7 Classes of racing, hard to justify a need for intermission. 1 idea for speeding the show up, about 3 of the classes were pretty small. Give them a few extra laps during practice. Then instead of running a heat race, go ahead and run there feature. would move things along quicker. Also gets the guys to the track just a bit earlier. If the announcer is on here, You did a really good job calling the race and knowing who the drivers are. Your only down fall, you can not just say what ever is on your mind. It makes you sound very unproffesional. You also are saying these things when the noise level is the lowest and everyone is paying attention to you. People then forget about the great race call. Being an out of towner it was nice to 1 be able to hear the announcer during the race, and 2 the announcer to be able to talk about the guys that were racing.

I know most of my post here sounds negative, but this place is a diamond in the rough. If the track was about 3 hours closer, I would attend as much as I could. Green flag racing was great. Multiple groves, high speeds, and competitive cars. I would love to watch a big Sprint car race here.

8/20/12, 10:38 AM   #3
KDM

The track prep was good? It was slicked off and taking rubber in the heat races. If they would get some water into the track, not just dump it ontop of last weeks track it would be a fun place and the fans would end up with a good show, but burning off 4 tires for $700 isnt going to attract many cars.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/20/12, 11:03 AM   #4
Re: Clay County Speedway results 8-18
racenut69

I'm sure Kevin is taking things slow this year,just to gauge fan interest and car counts. Remember that the previous promoter caused a lot of bad feelings and it will take some time to rebuild driver trust. I've been there 4 times this year and really enjoyed myself. It seems that there isn't a bunch of BS and drama here,unlike some tracks...My .02..

8/20/12, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM View Post
The track prep was good? It was slicked off and taking rubber in the heat races. If they would get some water into the track, not just dump it ontop of last weeks track it would be a fun place and the fans would end up with a good show, but burning off 4 tires for $700 isnt going to attract many cars.

Posted via Mobile Device
I seen multiple groves of racing and cars passing each other. I did not see holes or ruts that sent cars flipping like crazy. I have not been to a dirt track since may that had enough water in it. Earlier this year there were several posts about how bad the track was, ruts and holes. I did not see any of that. I have no clue about payout but if this track is like anywhere else the promoter could have paid every single driver $700 and people would still be on here complaining about it. Track has alot of potential.

8/20/12, 11:35 AM   #6
17B

thanks for the time to send your message,
couple things here quickly, the front fence you are referring to,
we straightened the main straight away catch fence due to leaning onto track, (from years of normal wear, before me taking over) when we did this we had to remove the fence you are referring to, but the job is not completed, we need to continue straighting the wall towards turn 4 about another 75 feet to get it back, when completed it should be in great shape for many years to come.......

now the fence between the pits and grandstand, same here removed for work but still needing some main wall straighting, thinking about making this area a no walk way for 2013,
for as the weeds, ya the wife let me know........
refer to message 4 here for reinsurance of that guys thought process, cause it makes sense, and yes I do plan to be here for a while........
here again thanks for your time and see you around the next corner! keep dirt track racing!
just living my dream and will take these comments into consideration,
Good Luck
Kevin
Last edited by 17B; 8/20/12 at 11:38 AM.

3 members like this post: Drtchsr, SpfldMile, sw1911
8/20/12, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
I'm sure Kevin is taking things slow this year,just to gauge fan interest and car counts. Remember that the previous promoter caused a lot of bad feelings and it will take some time to rebuild driver trust. I've been there 4 times this year and really enjoyed myself. It seems that there isn't a bunch of BS and drama here,unlike some tracks...My .02..
Fan count looked pretty decent. Fans were into the race as well. Hope things work out for the new guy. Place looks like alot of fun.

8/20/12, 11:42 AM   #8
17B

thanks again and everyone will continue seeing changes this year and during the off season....
hey thanks again, sometimes you need messages like this to keep ya on your toes!
kevin
Last edited by 17B; 8/20/12 at 2:57 PM.

1 member likes this post: sw1911
8/20/12, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17B View Post
thanks for the time to send your message,
couple things here quickly, the front fence you are referring to,
we straightened the main straight away catch fence due to leaning onto track, (from years of normal wear, before me taking over) when we did this we had to remove the fence you are referring to, but the job is not completed, we need to continue straighting the wall towards turn 4 about another 75 feet to get it back, when completed it should be in great shape for many years to come.......

now the fence between the pits and grandstand, same here removed for work but still needing some main wall straighting, thinking about making this area a no walk way for 2013,
for as the weeds, ya the wife let me know........
refer to message 4 here for reinsurance of that guys thought process, cause it makes sense, and yes I do plan to be here for a while........
here again thanks for your time and see you around the next corner! keep dirt track racing!
just living my dream and will take these comments into consideration,
Good Luck
Kevin
Now that makes alot of sence. No one around us really knew what was up with it. Good to see improvments in place! Not alot of tracks making improvments these days. Had alot of fun and enjoyed the racing.

8/20/12, 11:45 AM   #10
17B

kinda thought that but..........
I was making announcements earlier to let people know but got away from it, you should have seen the wall before, that you can ask any driver, they can tell ya........better now and only will be getting better.....
K

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Clay County Speedway results 8-18