IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Provisionals in sprint car racing???
5/27/08, 7:36 PM   #1
Provisionals in sprint car racing???
Jackslash.com

Do you think sprint car racing should eliminate provisionals?

5/27/08, 7:44 PM   #2
Re: Provisionals in sprint car racing???
LEADERS EDGE

I think it's fair for a touring series or even a track series to reward teams that support them each week with a "bone" every once in a while.

As long as the system is adhered to and not manipulated, I think it is fine.

5/27/08, 7:45 PM   #3
sprinter25

It doesn't matter what series, circuit, or type of car.....

In my mind, you either go fast or go home. Period.....End of discussion. The fact that you get outperformed by someone on a given evening is just that...you've been outperformed. Bad luck, a poor pill draw, caught up in someone else's crash...too bad, in my mind.

Isn't that why we run the races???

5/27/08, 7:48 PM   #4
Dwight Clock

There should be no provisionals. You can take care of the teams that support you by paying both a respectable bottom end purse and sufficient tow money.

5/27/08, 7:53 PM   #5
Eagle14

DAMION GARDNER... all I have to say about the provisonals man...:respect:

5/27/08, 8:08 PM   #6
LEADERS EDGE

Well those are pretty easy things to say right up until you are the current points leader or you are in the top 5 in points and have just traveled 1,000 miles and missed the race because of any number of small problems that may not be of your doing.

I'm not saying that if you are a past champ that you should always make the show no matter what, I am saying that there should be some sort of incentive for those who currently support your series or track.

Most series or tracks have always had "promotors options" that were given to the promotor to keep he and the fans happy when the "big gun" he paid and promoted to draw the crowd in missed the show.

Jiggs almost always uses a provisional and it seems to work out well with little problems.

I remember when the Champ series took only 18 cars on qualifying and I am not saying that is wrong, but today we are in a little different situation.

What am not for is qualifying in the top 6 and then having to requalify through a heat and then a semi, just to get that same spot back. There should be a reward for qualifying well.

5/27/08, 8:48 PM   #7
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Well those are pretty easy things to say right up until you are the current points leader or you are in the top 5 in points and have just traveled 1,000 miles and missed the race because of any number of small problems that may not be of your doing.

I'm not saying that if you are a past champ that you should always make the show no matter what, I am saying that there should be some sort of incentive for those who currently support your series or track.

Most series or tracks have always had "promotors options" that were given to the promotor to keep he and the fans happy when the "big gun" he paid and promoted to draw the crowd in missed the show.

Jiggs almost always uses a provisional and it seems to work out well with little problems.

I remember when the Champ series took only 18 cars on qualifying and I am not saying that is wrong, but today we are in a little different situation.

What am not for is qualifying in the top 6 and then having to requalify through a heat and then a semi, just to get that same spot back. There should be a reward for qualifying well.
IF you're going to award provisionals, I feel that you should...

Not award full points/purse to those that are given the provisional. Why should anyone get a chance to make money or points versus someone who does not get a provisional... just not right, IMO. After all, they both raced. right?

It shouldn't matter if you towed 1000 miles, or got caught up in someone else's wreck. or whatever.... You made the decision to tow those miles and race at the track....you won't be the first car to get crashed by a squirrel, nor will you be the last. Not a reason to award a provisional....

If you want to reward those cars/drivers/owners who towed the 1000 miles and then missed qualifying for the show, PAY BETTER TOW MONEY TO EVERYONE.

You haven't EARNED the right to race in the main any more than anyone else who missed the show...so why should you?

Sorry if I sound a bit strident about this, but provisionals really P*** me off

5/27/08, 9:03 PM   #8
staggerman

Personally I say get rid of provisionals but I understand why they are there for the guys who support the series. The only change I believe should be made is if you take a provisional you only race for money and you only get your B-main points. Right now it is tough to make up any points if guys get in on a provisional. I know Woo and ASCS National Tour have both went to this format.

The All Stars have eliminated all provisionals and driver changes before the feature! :applaud:

5/27/08, 9:08 PM   #9
c47

the reason for provisionals in the WoO is because of the bigger sponsors.
the sponsor expects the car on the track, hopefully up front and gaining exposure, at every race...especially televised races.
so...in that case, i can understand it.
or as scott said, a traveling series where you have to tow a ways.
but locally....no, i dont believe there is a place for them.
race your way in and if you have a bad night, try again next week.

5/27/08, 9:11 PM   #10
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

I say they are OK..But I say for everytime someone takes one..Someone else who just missed the A-Main gets in also..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Provisionals in sprint car racing???