IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some racing from the 16th Street Speedway 1998
1/9/12, 11:05 PM   #1
Some racing from the 16th Street Speedway 1998
btownracer

1/10/12, 12:19 AM   #2
Re: Some racing from the 16th Street Speedway 1998
DAD

That is the only race track we have ever raced at that had bases instead of turns. We were running 600cc midgets with Bill May and the Buckeye's at the time. We were the little brothers at that time and the 1200cc club didn't want anything to do with us and said we couldn't run with them because we would get in their way.LOL

There was no way we were going to get in that little joint to race. We called everybdy just no way we going to run there. Robert Nichols came to our rescue. Seems ol Robert got mad about a call or something so I hear. Well low and behold old Robert, He gets out of his car and "MOONS" the whole crowd. Well that bunch was out of 16 th street Speedway and they were calling Bill to put on some races.

It may have looked kind off funny but it was one racy little race track and they kept it in pretty good shape. Doug, my boy made it into one of those "and they walked away movies" after jumping a tire, I think Tim Broughton's and almost cleared the back staight wall. Sure does bring back some memories.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/10/12 at 9:50 AM.

1/11/12, 1:26 PM   #3
marko 66

i was very fortunate to be able to race in the 1st. mini sprint race at 16th. st. speedway for the late "pappy" bob nichols. robert was partying at eldora that weekend. in the video when the cars come off 4 you can see the exit lane for the rescue team. well that wall actually angled out towards the track. i was running in 3rd. pl. and decided to move high. after about 2 laps i really let er" hang out. when i came off 4 there was that barrier. i put the grip on the wheel and closed my eyes knowing i was going for a ride. i got lucky and did not crash. when i opened my eyes i was already past the flagstand. guess what, the white flag was thrown and i did not see it. so here is kevin #18 and i running nose to nose. and as we crossed the line i barely got a glimpse of the checkered flag and could not believe it, we won by inches. they say that was the closest finish in the short history of 16th.st. speedway. well, i was so dang happy i didn't even think of the picture session and interview, i could not wait to get back to the pits and give ole' pappy a great big hug. and thats what i did. the real class of the field that night was shane cottle in bob thompson's car. if not for the breakdown they had in the feature, shane was so dang fast, i think he could have beaten stewart in the midget feature that night. rest in peace pappy and robert

1/11/12, 7:04 PM   #4
DAD

The flagman was so high that it was hard for the drivers to see him with the wings on.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some racing from the 16th Street Speedway 1998