IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ? A racers intelligence
10/19/11, 11:34 AM   #1
? A racers intelligence
Jracer2m

Its fall now and the majority of us are done for the season. Most of us will spend the next few months rebuilding and preparing our stuff for the upcoming 2012 season. And possibly preparing for some fun at the chilibowl. As I'm writing this I am doing just that, and as I'm here thinking. I stop to think about the financial end of what I'm getting ready to do. Lol fresh paint, fresh panels, fresh motor, all the usual stuff. We will buy chilibowl lr and Rrs so roughly a 1000 tire bill. Then the diesel to get there, roughly another 700. THE $150 pre entry feel lol. Pit passes for four roughly 800-900. Let's get there a day early to get a decent pit spot lol. So 8 days in a hotel , another 500 . Buy there methanol two nights , another 150 prolly. All this too join the other 270 cars that have entered in the same financial disaster. To run for 10,000 to win, 700-800 to start. And we all will have the times of our lives lol. I'm not trying to complain about not making money at racing because we all know that's a pipedream. But man what is up with this purse, The Knoxville Nats draws less cars, less entry fee and yet has a million dollar purse. I know it's midget racing, and I will prolly be there everyyear as long as they keep having this race, but I would hope someday they would give us more to race for
Posted via Mobile Device

7 members like this post: cws9, darnall, IndyBound, jdull99, kart31rac, koolaid89
10/19/11, 12:28 PM   #2
Re: ? A racers intelligence
K-Dawg30

You definitly make a lot of sinse with what you are saying. From what I understand the Tulsa Shootout is the same way. I will be attending both as a spectator this year and can't wait. I made my first trip to the Chili Bowl last year and I will never miss another as long as I am physically able. I have to say...Hahn puts on an incredible show...but the purse for how many cars and such is low compared to, like what you said, the knoxville nats. Again, I'm not bashing the event at all because it has been my favorite racing experience next to "The 66" micro race this last summer.

In general Midget purses need to be increased. Heck, it costs more to run a midget than a sprint. JMO ....Can't wait for the Shootout and the Chili Bowl!

10/19/11, 12:35 PM   #3
kstudley57

Why raise the purse on an event that already draws 240+ cars every year. They could pay no money at this point and car count wouldn't fall much. It's one of the few races during the year, primarily because it has no comparable competition, that car count is completely inelastic in relationship to purse money.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: AJFrancis21
10/19/11, 3:29 PM   #4
Crankin

Calling Don Moore, Calling Don Moore!!! Come in Mr. Moore!

Last edited by Crankin; 10/19/11 at 3:30 PM.

3 members like this post: Isaac Chapple Racing, jdull99, jim goerge
10/19/11, 8:03 PM   #5
interpreter66

they sure make some good KOOL-AID, cause the line is long!

10/19/11, 9:21 PM   #6
Bad Dad 54

I have often pondered that very same question, take look at car then look at the drivers safety equipment. Why will racers drive to FL to race but won't drive across the state to race because of the purse???

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/19/11, 10:14 PM   #7
pitcrewmom

Tulsa is all about the experience! It is a break to the long boring winter; an opportunity to have fun with your racing friends both on and off the track; making new friends and important contacts; and it is the ultimate racer's and racing enthusiast's winter vacation. Money is nice, but winning a prestigious Golden Driller is the goal!

10/19/11, 10:29 PM   #8
stroud21

Jm, if your lookin to save a few bucks on those tires come see me in st louis. I have a d10 76, 78, and 84, and a d12 80. All new and stored inside for $100 each.
Posted via Mobile Device

10/20/11, 7:33 AM   #9
backitin

Racers race. money dont matter. If you aint got any money and you cant afford to race what you want at the moment you race what you can. We were racing bmx a couple years ago, under a grand for three bikes and gear. Probley the most fun we ever had racing. Now we have a very used car, used tire's, burnt out driver, but were gonna be racing again. Anything we touch around our household turns into a race, my son is like me and my daughter has the fever worse. The craftiest and most intelligent people I know are all inolved in a sport which if looked at it from the outside is ridiculous, who really cares who can drive the fastest around a circle going no where ?
Last edited by backitin; 10/20/11 at 9:53 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ? A racers intelligence