IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Symetrical Silver Crown car?
9/10/11, 12:46 AM   #1
Symetrical Silver Crown car?
cartunr22

I just put my flame suit on so tell me what you guys think. I'm building a.car to run at pikes peak in the unlimited class. It's going to take me a few years and a lot of money to finish. In the meantime i'd still like to get a feel for a high powered car out there. My idea is to get an obsolete silver crown car and make it as symetrical as possible and run a blown lsx and a 4 speed.

Is there any reason you guys can see that this would not work? There is obviously some fab work involved so I know it will be far from bolt on. Assuming the clutch and trans can fit any potential issues with suspension pick up points or opperation once same size wheels and suspension components are made/ sourced?

Thanks,
Grant
Posted via Mobile Device

9/10/11, 11:19 AM   #2
Re: Symetrical Silver Crown car?
koolaid89

Sounds like a VERY cool project, please keep us updated on the progress!

9/10/11, 12:06 PM   #3
backitin

We've been thinking about doing pretty much the same thing except for the street. My fabricator suggested we find a junkyard motor out of a big block chevy truck. He said that is no problem so I'm sure you'll figure yours out. The way racers are being pinched you dont have to find a obsolete car if you search hard enuff you can find great rollers at low price's.

9/10/11, 12:56 PM   #4
D.O.

Check back in the 60's and 70's and you will find some Champ Dirt cars that ran Pikes Peak for National points. They would drop in a 4 speed and go racing.

9/10/11, 1:05 PM   #5
Larry G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Check back in the 60's and 70's and you will find some Champ Dirt cars that ran Pikes Peak for National points. They would drop in a 4 speed and go racing.
How about a Symetrical Midget and then we could run the figure eight tracks and fill the stands?

1 member likes this post: illiNOISE
9/10/11, 1:50 PM   #6
backitin

I'm not a expert in champ car's but you'd have to center the car I'm assuming. Cutting and welding, two of my favorite things. We did a dwarfcar for one of my buddys and it turned out to be a bad little hotrod.

9/10/11, 3:27 PM   #7
LRP36

I know that some guys used to run a BERT transmission in the silver crown cars. I'm not 100% sure how many gears they had in them. I friend of mine that used to run silver crown has a BERT transmission that he acquired when he bought a dirt car from the west coast.

9/10/11, 5:14 PM   #8
Larry G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlife517 View Post
I know that some guys used to run a BERT transmission in the silver crown cars. I'm not 100% sure how many gears they had in them. I friend of mine that used to run silver crown has a BERT transmission that he acquired when he bought a dirt car from the west coast.
Great project. I would consider some form of automatic transmission as the modern ones are very smart as to when to shift and they never get distracted.

1 member likes this post:
9/10/11, 6:28 PM   #9
Stagger

For Pikes Peak I would find an Old "new generation" sliver crown car.
They have pretty much become just a paper weight or a boat anchor.

This would be the Ideal Chassis. I think they will have paved all the way up to the top by 2013 or something like that.

9/10/11, 8:05 PM   #10
cartunr22

This was my plan but I wasn't sure how they were different or if they still had value.

I think the course was 75% paved this year and once its completely paved I bet rwd won't be a disadvantage especially with rr 18in tires on the back. Everyone pretty much runs street tires of some sort due to the tread rule and I feel like they are paying a lot for such small tires.

Thanks for all of the positive comments. Once I get going I will be sure to post pics of the progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Symetrical Silver Crown car?