IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Promoters can not win!
7/19/11, 1:40 PM   #1
Promoters can not win!
MORGAN

25 posts equal 25 different opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post:
7/19/11, 1:52 PM   #2
Re: Promoters can not win!
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
25 posts equal 25 different opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
This pisses me off almost as much as the people who complain about everything! People who suggest that no matter what happens, we should just sit there like good little boys and girls and say nothing. That paying customers shouldn't be entitled to have an opinion or to express that opinion, on an open forum, like this one. Promoters, as a general rule, are pretty savvy people. They know how to take multiple pieces of feedback and glean from that the useful information. Including not giving much weight to the individuals who are perpetually unhappy with everything.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

7/19/11, 2:17 PM   #3
MORGAN

Let's keep count---that's two posts and two different opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post:
7/19/11, 2:17 PM   #4
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
This pisses me off almost as much as the people who complain about everything! People who suggest that no matter what happens, we should just sit there like good little boys and girls and say nothing. That paying customers shouldn't be entitled to have an opinion or to express that opinion, on an open forum, like this one. Promoters, as a general rule, are pretty savvy people. They know how to take multiple pieces of feedback and glean from that the useful information. Including not giving much weight to the individuals who are perpetually unhappy with everything.

Jerry
Woah, Mr. Shaw! I am impressed! By the way, it was a pleasure to meet you at Terre Haute. I'm wondering if promoters from other regions watch the chatter on here for tips that might help at their own tracks, since we are fighting over seats here at times and they might have problems filling their own during their biggest shows. I am very interested in how the 'broken ladder' to Indy from sprints has impacted the racing of other regions, or if it has at all. Any lurking promoters/track owners from other regions out there care to comment?

P.S. From here on out, I'll refer to the 'broken ladder' as 'Road to Indy construction work detour', that's got a more positive ring to it, don't ya' think?
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/19/11 at 2:20 PM.

7/19/11, 2:58 PM   #5
Vukie

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Wrench Turner
7/19/11, 3:42 PM   #6
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
P.S. From here on out, I'll refer to the 'broken ladder' as 'Road to Indy construction work detour', that's got a more positive ring to it, don't ya' think?
If history repeats itself, in a couple hours you will decide to refer to it as something different.

7/19/11, 4:22 PM   #7
McInturff Racing

I'm going to have to agree with Morgan on this one. Promoters are screwed from all directions. With the drivers and crews half are griping if the rules aren't strictly enforced and tech isn't done religiously if their car is 100% by the rules and they are getting their butt handed to them every week. As soon as they try to enforce the rules or put new rules in place the other half start to scream. Half want affordable, equally matched cars and the rest want to be able to buy a victory. One half of the fans want to see "headliners only" and voice this opinion LOUDLY, the other half want to see the "main event" but also enjoy watching their friend\neighbor\relative run a "support series" (a term that chaps my backside to begin with but that is another soap box). Half the crowd wants to be done by 8PM, the other half want a late night of racing and hanging out. Even track prep (which I am yet to see a promoter in a water truck or tractor) gets them ripped apart, and if a mistake is made in the first prep or the track degrades over the night GOD FORBID they get the equipment out and try to fix the problem because then everyone gripes about the "tractor show", but at the same time raise a stink if the track conditions provide for less than perfect feature races. There is no way for the promoter to win. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job and constantly be under fire from someone and to see my best intentions constantly ripped apart in a public forum because they can't please all of the people all of the time. Look back through some old posts and you will see promoters painted as anything from inept morons to near criminals with no consideration that they DO have the best interests of the fans and drivers in mind but at the same time have to run a PROFITABLE business and are human and therefore NOT PERFECT. I'm not saying that there is no room for improvement and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, after all everything can be improved but the level of open hostility towards how every track is discussed by one party or another is off-putting to me as a driver so I can't imagine how it feels to the promoters. For a community of like minded individuals and race fans there sure is a lot of negativity thrown around here on a regular basis if things aren't 110% up to someone's standards. Discourse and differing opinions are all a part of life, but why can't we all just get along? Lets be thankful that promoters are willing to take on this thankless job and do what they think is best for their track, be thankful that drivers are willing to show up to the tracks and make the sacrifices they do to put on an entertaining show for the fans and help the promoter reach their financial needs regardless of what class they can afford to run or what type of car they prefer to drive, and be thankful for the fans that show up so us drivers have a reason to do what we do and to help put money in the promoter's pocket (remember, like it or not racing is a business). We are all in this together and it takes all 3 parts to make racing work. Seems to me we should be banding together in a more productive way to make sure racing survives in these uncertain times rather than driving a larger wedge between all parties involved.

PS- You had better believe I am going to blame the promoter at WRP when it is too hot to even put on my helmet without working up a sweat this weekend though!
Last edited by McInturff Racing; 7/19/11 at 6:05 PM. Reason: gramatical corrections

7/19/11, 4:34 PM   #8
torqueball

From the size of the crowds over the past week or so, I would say they're winning....
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
7/19/11, 4:52 PM   #9
MORGAN

I started this subject, but McInturff did an excellent job of explaining what a problem promoters have.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/19/11, 10:48 PM   #10
Bad Dad 54

Ok went to the races Sat night took my quad to help others who don't have one. Get wenched at by track official cause I pushed a heat 2 car up when the last 2 of heat 1 were being pushed off. The smell in the mens room was enough to gag a magot & filthy. Place looks like it hasn't seen paint since it was built. But has a new concession stand & a covered area to sit in. Track was hard slick dusty, a few of the top 10 in points didn't show up to race. Wonder why
Now at home 357 channel remote controlled big screen TV, pool, A/C, pool table, frig full of food & cold drinks that aren't over priced, comfy recliner, spent $50 bucks on gas getting there & back, plus a meal. Now tell me Mr promoter? Why should I come back if you don't want to take care of your place??

1 member likes this post: randy j
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Promoters can not win!