IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Bill Blumer (Offline)
  #1 5/10/11 7:02 AM
Could there been a more intriguing opener in Angell Park Speedway’s history? Were there ever this many storylines? Just days away from the season opening doubleheader, here are some things to consider.

The USAC/Badger co-sanctioned shows this Saturday and Sunday, May 14 and 15, will mark the return of the Badger Midget Series to the Speedway, after a year’s absence. After promoting several shows during the second half of the 2010 racing season at Angell Park, CW Promotions is back for 2011. In doing so, CW has helped made Angell Park the cornerstone of Badger’s schedule, booking them for ten races throughout the summer. One of the most storied Midget sanctioning bodies in the world, Badger will spend this summer celebrating its 75th anniversary. Also of interest from Badger will be the debut of their 600 cc Micro Sprint class.

Opening weekend will bring out the best in USAC and Badger plus those who supported Angell Park’s solo effort in 2010, including Davey Ray. Ray, who’s family has deep roots both with Badger and Angell Park, ran the bulk of the APSARA races last year, as did his cousin Robbie Ray and Jason Dull.

Insiders say Badger alone may bring 20 cars this weekend. Scott Hatton, Mike Hess and Brandon Waelti are among their talented group of drivers expected. A total Midget field of 30 is not out of the question. But, fans in the know, realize that it’s not all about the car count.

To that last point, consider the USAC sanctioned Pepsi Nationals of 2010. Having the field wired for about 45 of the 50 scheduled laps, Indiana’s Brad Kuhn, eventually met up with California’s Darren Hagen. Hagen took Kuhn to the wall, right under the flag stand. A second circuit, saw Hagen give Kuhn only a little more room as they continued wheel to wheel at the line. Contact was made as Hagen lead Kuhn out of the second turn, causing Hagen to do a 360 and the yellow to come out. If the story stopped there, it would have been enough for those in attendance to reminisce about, over the long winter. But, what happened next will keep those fans talking for a lifetime.

A quick look at the box score will simply indicate that Tracy Hines won. It won’t tell you the rest of the story, only truly experienced by those who witnessed it firsthand. Here’s how it read the next day:

“The yellow came out for Hagen. After he was re-fired, as the cars paraded around awaiting the green, Hagen, who was to restart at the back, went for Kuhn, bumping him on the side and in the rear, several times in the course of about three parade laps, as USAC officials tried to get the race restarted.

Finally the black flag was displayed for both drivers. Hagen exited the track, but Kuhn remained. Hines kept a quarter of a straight between himself and Kuhn. The flagman waived the green and black to Kuhn and the field, with three laps to go.

Hines had Jerry Coons Jr. and Davey Ray in tow. As they came to the checkers, nearly catching Kuhn, Hines kept high while Coons went low out of turn four. Hines kept the advantage by about a foot over Coons to claim the win.

Boos rained down from the stands as Kuhn stopped his car at the pit entrance and raised his arms in mock victory. Meanwhile Hines graciously acknowledged in the post race interview to the crowd that he hoped the boos were not for him, to which the crowd cheered loudly. He indicated he knew he didn’t have the fastest car, but the owner/operator would be more than happy to cash the $4,000 check.

Both Kuhn and Hagen were mobbed by fans after the race. For his part Kuhn noted, "He (Hagen) knew I was there (when Hagen slid in front of him). That’s the sixth or seventh time he’s done that to me and I’d had enough."

Hagen later countered, "I passed him clean and he spun me out. He’s an idiot, he should have been thinking about the (USAC) point battle."

When asked if he thought he and Kuhn had a history, Hagen said, "He crashed me at Putnamville (Indiana), I took him over the cushion here."

After the race Hines was still grinning. He indicated he knew the fans were not booing him during the interview and he just wanted to put some levity on the situation. "I was telling myself, Back off, those two aren’t done."

Kuhn is looking forward to his return to Angell Park, as is the RMFS team with Hagen behind the wheel. “It’s water under the bridge,” claims Kuhn. While the two have raced against each other since that contentious night, it’s sure to be fresh in both of their minds as they return for the Pepsi and Miller Lite Spring Double Header Presented by the Sun Prairie Tourism Committee. And Tracy Hines won’t be far behind.

Spectator Gates Open at 4:30pm
Pit Gates Open at 3:00pm
Hot Laps at 6:00pm
Racing at 7:00pm

Adults $18
Seniors $15
Students $15
Children Under 12 FREE
3 Likes: dirtball, racegal, Seadog
carrytheleftfront (Offline)
  #2 5/10/11 11:09 AM
wow bill you should of opened your eyes a little more at that race to see what really happened...
Tim Watson (Offline)
  #3 5/10/11 4:49 PM
Originally Posted by carrytheleftfront:
wow bill you should of opened your eyes a little more at that race to see what really happened...
This isn't Bill's take on what happened, this story is off of the Angell Park website.
Bill Blumer (Offline)
  #4 5/10/11 5:46 PM
Tim, thanks for sticking up for me. I never jones for a by-line.
I am the guy who wrote the original story of the Nationals for Angell Park and "The Star," newspaper in Sun Prairie. I've been doing it for over five years.
I wrote about the situation as I saw it at the time. I guess I'd like to know what I got wrong.
I likely told both Brad and Darren that, "I'm not paid enough to make anyone look bad." I do the best I can.

Hopefully, folks will come out to see another great weekend of racing at Angell Park.
Tim Watson (Offline)
  #5 5/10/11 6:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Blumer:
Tim, thanks for sticking up for me. I never jones for a by-line.
I am the guy who wrote the original story of the Nationals for Angell Park and "The Star," newspaper in Sun Prairie. I've been doing it for over five years.
I wrote about the situation as I saw it at the time. I guess I'd like to know what I got wrong.
I likely told both Brad and Darren that, "I'm not paid enough to make anyone look bad." I do the best I can.

Hopefully, folks will come out to see another great weekend of racing at Angell Park.
No problem Bill, it is a great story!