IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USSA Opener at Anderson April 3rd
4/5/11, 6:02 PM   #1
USSA Opener at Anderson April 3rd
Isaac Chapple Racing

Travis Young Opens USSA Kenyon Car Midget Season on Top at Anderson Speedway

April 4, 2011

(Lebanon, IN) Former midget champion Travis Young used his experience on the high banks of Anderson (IN) Speedway to open the United States Speed Association’s Kenyon Car Midget Season with the win in the 30 lap USSA Feature Sunday April 3.

Young’s fast qualifying time relegated him to the 4th starting position following USSA’s starting lineup inversion, right behind the eventual 2nd place finisher Isaac Chapple. At the drop of the green flag, Chapple and Young used Anderson Speedway’s difficult outside line in turns one and two to jump past pole sitter Justin Peck and inside second row starter Cordy Horn. Young went to work on race leader Chapple continuing to use the outside, making an attempt to pass twice a lap. Young finally took the lead coming out of turn four on lap 9.

Chapple’s excitement wasn’t over as Horn, Peck, Tyler Cottongim, Jessica Bean and Mario Marietta raced right up to his back bumper in a 5 way battle for 3rd place. Bean slide up the track on lap 13 into Marietta, ending the 2010 USSA Midget Division Champion’s day.

Young’s day gave the crowd one last thrilling moment when a turn one spin on lap 29 brought out the yellow flag. USSA’s rules state that the last two laps of every race will be run under the green flag, resetting the lap count at 28 and giving Chapple one more opportunity to pass Young. Young got a good restart and protected his top position for the win. Isaac Chapple and Cordy Horn rounded out the top 3 at Anderson Speedway.

USSA Kenyon Car Midget Results

Qualifying: 1 Travis Young 13.072, 2 Jessica Bean 13.088, 3 Mario Marietta 13.183, 4 Cordy Horn 13.224, 5 Isaac Chapple 13.267, 6 Justin Peck 13.337, 7 Tyler Cottongim 13.832, 8 Damon Harris (rookie) 14.013

Feature 30 Laps: 1 Travis Young - 30 laps, 2 Isaac Chapple - 30 Laps, 3 Cordy Horn – 30 Laps, 4 Justin Peck 30 Laps, 5 Tyler Cottongim – 30 Laps, 6 Damon Harris (R) – 30 Laps, 7 Jessica Bean 24 Laps (jacobs ladder), 8 Mario Marietta – 13 Laps (accident)
Last edited by Isaac Chapple Racing; 4/5/11 at 6:03 PM.

3 members like this post: 64chevy, dirtnonwingfan, Race Poor
4/5/11, 9:35 PM   #2
Re: USSA Opener at Anderson April 3rd
KRJoyce1

Hey Isaac, Congrats on the 2nd Place run last Sunday. Not a bad way to start the season

Ken

4/6/11, 5:23 PM   #3
Isaac Chapple Racing

Thanks Ken! No, not a bad way at all to start the season.. Hope to see you at the track this year!

4/6/11, 7:20 PM   #4
Race Poor

Isaac, you and Travis entertained me Sunday in the heat and feature. It was cool that guys came back to race those things, it would be nice to see more.

I also was very entertained by Aaron Pierce, to bad he didn't finish, he was about the only car willing to step up and try the outside. Good show.

Do you still have plans to run your full midget this year? Good luck in 2011.

4/6/11, 9:42 PM   #5
Isaac Chapple Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Poor View Post
Isaac, you and Travis entertained me Sunday in the heat and feature. It was cool that guys came back to race those things, it would be nice to see more.

I also was very entertained by Aaron Pierce, to bad he didn't finish, he was about the only car willing to step up and try the outside. Good show.

Do you still have plans to run your full midget this year? Good luck in 2011.
Race Poor, I'm glad you could make it out to the track and enjoy the show. It was a fun day. It would be nice to see more Kenyon Midgets out there. They are very competitive and budget friendly race cars.

Aaron Pierce did put on a good show with the sprints. I would to have liked to see him finish.

And yes, I do have plans to race the full midget this year! The first race will be at Mt. Lawn Speedway on May 20th. I hope you can make it! Thanks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USSA Opener at Anderson April 3rd