IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: American Racer Tires
Is $638 for a set of American Racers good thing? 7 23.33%
Two Races on a Single set good thing? $319 race 21 70.00%
Did Eric Gordon win little 500 on ART no tire change? 5 16.67%
No your better off spending $957 for Hoosiers per race! 7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > American Racer Tires Just $319.00 per race!
3/25/11, 10:38 PM   #1
American Racer Tires Just $319.00 per race!
donwilshe

Report: Biobased USA Sets Record at Bristol with Jason Blonde.

410 Asphalt Racing with American Racing Tires. We have run over 100 laps on American Racing Tires at Winchester last week. These tires after several heat cycles showed no sign of wear. The tires just got faster and faster. The same tires we used to set track record at Bristol 13.245 at 1640 lbs after 20 hard qualifying laps.

The cost of a set of American Racers are $638.00 a set and we are certain we can race at least two races for a tire cost per lap of $319.00 per race or even less as the LF should be good for several races. As we see it this is the only cost saving opportunity for racing. What you say! Suellen Wilshe

Kind of the way we looked at it was if we can save money on tires. Than we can take some drivers that dont have rides and let them race. This year we will race Santos, Wease, Adams and Blonde. Without this tire saving we might have to park two racers. Nothing I would like better than to see the Hoosiers on the track against the ART's and see what prevails. But I know the results as we already ran heads up 30 laps trails.
Last edited by donwilshe; 3/27/11 at 3:51 PM.

2 members like this post: Geoff Kaiser, koolaid89
3/26/11, 10:01 AM   #2
Re: American Racer Tires Just $319.00 per rac
Seadog

Lame poll IMO.

2 members like this post: interpreter66, Jerry Shaw
3/26/11, 10:44 AM   #3

I’ve got to agree. Pretty lame poll. I’m a big proponent on winged pavement racing and would love to see a longer lasting, cheaper tire. But I’ll be shocked and surprised the first time somebody wins two features in a row on the same right rear. No matter what brand. Let’s not be bragging on something that hasn’t happened yet.

By the way, I don’t know where you buy your tires, but a set of four Hoosiers is not $957 through my tire supplier, unless they went up about 20% from last year.

Tom Paterson

1 member likes this post: are39
3/26/11, 12:45 PM   #4
mod4s

i think it's a great thing! gives the havenots a better chance!

3/27/11, 12:02 AM   #5
48modracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
I’ve got to agree. Pretty lame poll. I’m a big proponent on winged pavement racing and would love to see a longer lasting, cheaper tire. But I’ll be shocked and surprised the first time somebody wins two features in a row on the same right rear. No matter what brand. Let’s not be bragging on something that hasn’t happened yet.

By the way, I don’t know where you buy your tires, but a set of four Hoosiers is not $957 through my tire supplier, unless they went up about 20% from last year.

Tom Paterson
Back in the day Larry Rice told a story on ESPN Thunder about winning a pavement sprint race and a champ car race on the same right rear.

3/27/11, 12:07 AM   #6
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48modracer View Post
Back in the day Larry Rice told a story on ESPN Thunder about winning a pavement sprint race and a champ car race on the same right rear.
Actually that was the 1985 4-Crown at Eldora where Larry Rice won both the sprint car and champ car features on the same tires. They were McCrearys aka now American Racers!

2 members like this post: 48modracer, Pat O'Connor Fan
3/28/11, 1:12 AM   #7
9racing

Who cares how "lame" the poll is.. Thanks for shedding some light on that Wilshe crew.. I didnt see were they posted anything about winning 2 shows back to back with the same tire.. Quit trying to make this into a drama fest.. Tom I would think this would appeal to you more than most.. Im glad to see it..

2 members like this post: Geoff Kaiser, mod4s
3/28/11, 9:42 AM   #8

First of all, I wasn't bashing the tire. I was saying that I felt the poll was lame. And I also wanted to "adjust" the price of Hoosier tires. And I really hope that the tire works out. We all could use a little cost reduction. But color me skeptical on the fact that you can run a right rear two nights and they don't give up. Just seems too good to be true. And I've been through all of this before.

Tom Paterson

1 member likes this post: are39
3/28/11, 8:00 PM   #9
Predator

You can run those tires 2 night in a row and not give anything up because they are probly hard as hockey pucks... I am for saving money as much as the next guy, but I am sure that if I could run either, that Hoosier tire is gonna make me more money cause it's gonna be a whole lot faster. I also have to agree that those prices for Hoosiers are absurd after the first race. You can run a left front almost all season if there is no issues, more than likely you will get use out of the left rear beyond just one night. So I feel that after the first race of the year most nights you can get by with just 1 set of right sides and a left rear about every other race

3/28/11, 8:37 PM   #10
donwilshe

We ran just 4 tires one set for two nights and set the record at Bristol the 2nd night. The same single set of tires were tested friday and ran a 13.48 and let set overnight and than ran 4 qual sessions saturday total of 20 laps, and finally the track record at 13.245. If those tires were as hard as hockey pucks Ill take them anyday as the other guys were running new sets of hoosiers ever two qual attempts.

These were the same single set of tires we ran 70 laps at Winchester and the cars only got faster.

These were the same single set of tires that we ran over 100 laps at New Symrna and only got faster.

I have never ran a hoosier tire more than 15 laps before they dropped off. When I ran hoosiers at New Symrna with
the TBARA I got a flat tire after 28 laps. Another competitor who won got same left rear flat tire after 28 laps.

I just watched the one hour unedited version and one team put on 3 sets of hoosiers stickers and another put on two
sets of sticker hooisers, we ran the same tires from the night before all day saturday.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > American Racer Tires Just $319.00 per race!