IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 sprints
3/7/11, 9:05 PM   #1
305 sprints
curbservice

this is just for fun, and to see what other fans think about this. Is there any intrest in 305 sprints winged or not here in Indiana? These cars are prety popular in northern Ohio, and they put on a good show to boot. My thoughts are steel block 305's with steel heads, wetsump oil system, carburators on cast ironintakes, hydrolic lifters, roller rockers allowed. Wheels must be steel, steel bodied shocks, no adjustable shocks allowed, and no cockpit adjustable weight jackers. Cars must burn pump gas 93 octain or lower ( no need for race gas if yer runing all steel parts). All steel break rotors, driveshaft and yolk assembally. No lightweight rear ends. Just something I thought of for fun.

2 members like this post: fishnman, PatrickMead#13
3/7/11, 9:18 PM   #2
Re: 305 sprints
Bad Dad 54

curbservice has a good idea but if a racers buys a car it usually has the Aluminum wheels & a lot of other parts that will need to be replaced $$$$$. French Grimes I read has or had a 305 group in West Virginia w/ a spec steel head. Steel block 305's with steel heads, wetsump oil system, carburator, flat tappet lifters, roller rockers allowed, flat top pistons w/ compression rule (there is a whistler for 9:1 compression), steel bodied shocks, no adjustable shocks allowed, and no cockpit adjustable weight jackers. Steel or Aluminum rotors, steel driveshaft and yolk assembally. No lightweight rear ends. Lots of different ways to go, maybe a spec engine from a supplier?

3/7/11, 9:24 PM   #3
curbservice

I forgot spec rear tires DT3 D12 lr's or equivalent

3/8/11, 12:33 AM   #4
kart31rac

We are putting a car together to run a 34 raceway in Burlington, Ia got to www.34raceway.com and check out there rules very close to Knoxville's except at k'ville you can run a dry sump and gear drive. this is a great beginner class.

1 member likes this post: fish
3/8/11, 12:49 AM   #5
mini27

just use attica and fremont rules and go race.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
3/10/11, 7:12 AM   #6
hoosierdaddy

i second Attica and Fremont. Those tracks have been running 305's since the late 80's. Steel block, aluminum SPEC all pro or brodix, gm or compstar stock crank, no rollers cam, no dry sump, 11:1 compression, 2 3/16" max injection, no titanium anywhere. No adjustable wings, shocks, etc. Steel wheels.
Seems like more and more areas are starting to try to run 305's and going with their own set of rules which makes no sense to me. It would be nice to see them all jump on the same page and possibly allow the little guys to travel and meet up for some bigger events!?

3/10/11, 11:45 AM   #7
darnall

Gotta use alcohol....when the 305s started in Missouri they were on gas the first 2 months....kept melting motors...on the gas really hard with a radiator thats a third the size of a stock car radiator.

Plus...have you ever tried to find a good cheap 25 gallon gas bladder????

Keep the rules as identical as possible to the closest neighboring group. And don't require a bunch of stuff that somebody would have to buy that wouldn't already come on an 8 year old used roller such as no titanium bolts, etc. A weight rule will keep titanium radius rod bolts from being an advantage.

1 member likes this post: OTSNWR
3/10/11, 2:00 PM   #8
sideways21

definatly want to use alcohol. Haven't bought any this year but from where im at its cheaper than gas is.

3/10/11, 6:17 PM   #9
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbservice View Post
this is just for fun, and to see what other fans think about this. Is there any intrest in 305 sprints winged or not here in Indiana? These cars are prety popular in northern Ohio, and they put on a good show to boot. My thoughts are steel block 305's with steel heads, wetsump oil system, carburators on cast ironintakes, hydrolic lifters, roller rockers allowed. Wheels must be steel, steel bodied shocks, no adjustable shocks allowed, and no cockpit adjustable weight jackers. Cars must burn pump gas 93 octain or lower ( no need for race gas if yer runing all steel parts). All steel break rotors, driveshaft and yolk assembally. No lightweight rear ends. Just something I thought of for fun.
To answer your question "is there any interest in 305 sprints winged or not here in Indiana"? I would find it difficult that any track is looking to add another sprint car series to their schedule. Most of the dirt tracks in Indiana that run sprint cars are in Central & Southern Indiana. Trying to draw cars from Northern Ohio would be difficult at best.

Attica & Fremont already take up Friday and Saturday nights so that would pretty much leave out most of the dirt sprint car tracks in Indiana. Most promoters are already running at least 3 different classes and from a fans stand point, I don't want to see 4 or more classes. I doubt that any track is looking to drop a current class to add 305 sprint cars to their regular show.

In this economy, most promoters are looking to keep their most successful shows and eliminate the losers. Trying something like this is all new and in my opinion, the risks outweigh the benefits.

A few questions for you. What tracks would you like to see run 305's in Indiana? Do you feel that another class at one of these tracks would be a benefit? Where would the cars for a 305 class come from? What type of purse would it take to bring enough cars for this to successful?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5 members like this post: cmakin, fish, jim goerge, nathans1012, OTSNWR
3/10/11, 6:31 PM   #10
dtr48

the fremont and attica rules would be fine but i would not restrict it to just steel wheels cause these 2 tracks are the only ones who run them so other regions would have better luck finding used alum. wheels .just my thought

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 sprints