IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape
1/11/11, 7:46 PM   #1
"Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape
Kevin Montgomery

The 5th Annual "Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape

Kevin Montgomery TUCSON, Ariz. (January 5th, 2010) – With every turn of a corner comes new opportunity and new tradition and that's what lies ahead for race fans of Arizona with February just around the corner. The 5th Annual "Copper on Dirt" will feature ASCS National Wing Sprint Cars, Midgets, The West Coast Late Model Shootout vs. Total Seal Late Model Dirt Racing Series and Open Wheel Modifieds all taking part in a sensational racing spectacle at Tucson's USA Raceway's for two nights on February 18th and 19th marking USA Raceway as the only dirt track venue in the country to host all four premier divisions in one event.

As the 2011 racing season goes into to full swing, The Lucas Oil American Sprint Car Series hopefuls will make their way west to start the year off at one of the premier events of the season. More than a fifty of the nations top open wheel teams are anticipated to take part in the spectacular event.

The West Coast Shootout Late Model Series make their first appearance in Arizona joining forces with the Total Seal Dirt Late Model Dirt Racing series. The two western premier Super Late Model touring series will kick off the 2011 Championship Season at Tucson's USA Raceway as top Super Late Model racers look to win their first Copper on Dirt crown.

A sensational cast of Open Wheel Modifieds will also take part in the 5th running of the Copper on Dirt. The Modifieds will start the 2011 USA Raceway Championship season as a host of top drivers from across the country aim for Copper on Dirt glory.

The super fast Midgets will fill the card making for a spectacular event as the four premier divisions tackle USA Raceway's 3/8-mile clay oval for two complete nights of racing action on February 18th and 19th, with more than $100,000 in prize money to be distributed over the course of the blockbuster event.

Advanced tickets are on sale now. Ticket pricing, seating charts and purchasing information can be found online at http://www.usaraceway.net/Uploads/Co...irtTickets.pdf or by calling the USA Raceway office at 520-574-8515

Hotel Information can be found at www.usaraceway.net/lodging.php or by calling the Tucson Airport Courtyard by Marriott at 520-573-0000

USA Raceway is located east of Tucson off I-10 exit 265, then 1.6 miles south on Craycroft Road, which turns into Los Reales. For more information please, contact the track at 520-574-8515 or additional information regarding USA Raceway can be found at http://www.usaraceway.net

Levi Jones joined Mississippi's Ricky Stenhouse as the only drivers to win multiple "Copper on Dirt" features in a single year. Stenhouse set the bar high at the inaugural "Copper on Dirt" by winning back to back races in the 40-lap sprint car feature and finishing off the night by capturing the 50-lap USAC Silver Crown Feature.

Past Copper on Dirt Winners:
2007 USAC Midgets - Cory Kruseman
2007 USAC Sprint Cars - Ricky Stenhouse
2007 USAC Silver Crown - Ricky Stenhouse
2008 USAC Midgets - Darren Hagen
2008 USAC Sprint Cars - Shane Cottle
2008 USAC Silver Crown - Jerry Coons Jr.
2009 USAC Midgets - Brad Sweet
2009 USAC Sprint Cars - Darren Hagen
2009 USAC Silver Crown - Bud Kaeding
2010 USAC Midgets - Brad Sweet
2010 USAC Sprint Cars – Levi Jones
2010 USAC Silver Crown – Levi Jones

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, IndyBound, racegal
1/11/11, 8:35 PM   #2
Re: "Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape
stuecklen

Can't see having a huge car count for midgets. Late models and modifieds? I was sure hoping for non wing sprints, regional,
with the national wing cars. Kevin, do you have a schedule for the ascs regional sprints?

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
1/11/11, 8:55 PM   #3
Kevin Montgomery

We are expecting 50 - 60 ASCS Sprint Cars

30 - 40 Modifieds
30 - 40 Late Models
20 - 30 Midgets

130 - 150 total cars

The Regional Schedule will be out soon

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, IndyBound
1/12/11, 1:24 AM   #4
"Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape!!.......
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Thinkin more of us Open Wheel Non-Wing fans would be there if they're on the "Copper on Dirt" Card also!!..........

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
1/12/11, 1:44 AM   #5
Re: "Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape!!.......
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSprinter View Post
Thinkin more of us Open Wheel Non-Wing fans would be there if they're on the "Copper on Dirt" Card also!!..........
Have to agree with you Brucer'. I come out for the Western World, but 1600 miles with no nonwings is kind of pushing it for me. I'm very disappointed with the way things have gone out there the last few years. From the Copper World to Copper on Dirt to this. However, I do salute Kevin and USA for picking up the Copper on Dirt after Manzy died and now to produce this. Still one of my favorite tracks in the country. You got to love those green burritos!

1/12/11, 3:07 AM   #6
"Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape!!.......
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
Have to agree with you Brucer'. I come out for the Western World, but 1600 miles with no nonwings is kind of pushing it for me. I'm very disappointed with the way things have gone out there the last few years. From the Copper World to Copper on Dirt to this. However, I do salute Kevin and USA for picking up the Copper on Dirt after Manzy died and now to produce this. Still one of my favorite tracks in the country. You got to love those green burritos!
Yep Frank!!...mabe Kevin/Benji can work somethin out on this deal yet!!..........

1/12/11, 8:51 AM   #7
racephoto1

Wing sprints at the Copper on Dirt, another reason not to go to Arizona in the winter.

Now, if that new track runs without wings, it will make it worth going to Arizona in the winter again.

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, Pat O'Connor Fan, SUPERDUKE
1/12/11, 10:51 AM   #8
Dick Mahoney

Oh well winged is better than no sprints He needs Hewitt to put the wing on the 2 seater and give some rides.Helen and I will be there anyway

1/12/11, 11:26 AM   #9
racinround

Being a purist, I'm disappointed with the change in the lineup...that said, I think most interesting thing of this incarnation of the Copper will be seeing how many Midgets show up. We can only hope all the cars that were parked last year are pulled out and come play. WE MISS THE MIDGETS HERE IN AZ!!

No doubt the action will be great as the LM & Mods put on a great show at USA. Wings on any thing bigger than a 1/3...not so much.:99::
Last edited by racinround; 1/12/11 at 11:28 AM.

1/12/11, 5:01 PM   #10
bojo20

Looks like I will have to find something else to do that week-end.Won't be in Tucson

3 members like this post: I Miss Manzy, Pat O'Connor Fan, SUPERDUKE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Copper on Dirt" Takes New Shape