IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora dust problem
1/6/11, 6:23 PM   #1
Eldora dust problem
dirt330

ATTACHED IS COPY OF MY E-MAIL TO ELDORA SPEEDWAY AND THEIR ANSWER.Thu, January 6, 2011 10:42:00 AMRE: Dust problem
To: mike casse <macphotoindy@yahoo.com>
Cc: Eldora Speedway <eldora_speedway@yahoo.com>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike:

Thank you for your honesty and for actually signing your name. All too often we get similar e-mails with no reference to name or location.

Frankly the dust situation is something that our entire crew, including Tony, has been diligently working on. Granted, we have not conquered the problem, but are making headway. The latter part of the 2010 season saw a drastic reduction in the amount of dust – but, admittedly, the problem was not totally cured. We are continuing to seek additional resources in our efforts to minimize the dust issue. This includes the possibility of different clay, which we currently have out to be analyzed. There are many factors involved with the ‘dust’ at Eldora, and we are looking into all of them with a concentrated effort to provide the ultimate Eldora Experience for fans and competitors.

Again, thank you for your candidness.

Larry Kemp (General Manager)

Larry Boos (Director of Operations)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:44 PM
To: mail@eldoraspeedway.com
Subject: Dust problem

I have for ten years attended about 5 events each year at the Eldora Speedway. There isn't a better dirt track facility anywhere. But there is a huge problem with DUST , have a hard time almost impossible to see and enjoy the races. Other dirt tracks don't have near the problem that Eldora has. Last year myself and many others didn't attend ANY races at Eldora . Is anything being done to eliminate or reduce this problem. I sure would like to start attending races at Eldora again in 2011.

4 members like this post: davidm, koolaid89, racegal, Russell Ficklin
1/6/11, 6:39 PM   #2
Re: Eldora dust problem
wideopen24

Its good to see Eldora admit there is a problem and try to fix it! I raced at Eldora on July 31, 2010 and the track was awesome! There was no dust hanging in the air and made it alot better as a driver! I also thought that the make-up midweek USAC race was one of the best i have seen with an ultra fast track still requiring tear-offs in the feature!!!

1 member likes this post: dirt330
1/6/11, 7:10 PM   #3
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

It rained both them days

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dirt330, jim goerge, racephoto1
1/6/11, 8:14 PM   #4
wideopen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
It rained both them days
So it sounds like more water is the fix!

1/6/11, 8:21 PM   #5
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
It rained both them days
If the track isn't "opened up" it could rain a inch a hour and it won't be tacky 6" below the surface, it will all run off. There are thousands of factors.

Was this response just sent recently? Gotta chuckle if it took this long to address it. (assuming a letter was sent regarding the USAC show) Thank you for sharing though!

1/6/11, 8:28 PM   #6
EldoraMark

The DIRT is the problem. It takes a special type of clay to make a racing surface dust free along with track prep. Gas city had a dust problem a few years ago and they tested some new clay in turns 1 & 2 and it worked. They ended up putting all new clay on it.
Grant you I have been at Gas City when it was dusty. Some times you just miss on the track prep. I hope they get it right or I might have to change my Nick name to Dustora Mark

1/6/11, 9:04 PM   #7
dirt330

I sent this e-mail to eldora on weds 1-05-11 got reply within 24 hours

2 members like this post: koolaid89, racephoto1
1/6/11, 11:25 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen24 View Post
More water, and actual clay...not field dirt!

1/7/11, 12:52 AM   #9
Eldora Dust Problem!!.........
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen24 View Post
I'm rememberin what usta be said when EARL had the track!!...Haaaaay Earl!!....MOOOOORE WATER EARL!!........musta listened!!.....

1/7/11, 11:13 AM   #10
Gee2

That was a class act responding to your email. I remember when Earl had it that it was still a dust bowl. It seems when they do water the track it lasts about 3 laps and then dries and turns to dust. Ya i know the preparation and watering takes place days before the race but I think its in the dirt and the flat out speed the track produces. I think about Knoxville and the speed that place has and there isnt dust anywhere to be found even after 4 or 5 straight nights of sprint action. I look forward to the day when the problem is solved.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora dust problem