IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Change the Oval Nationals Format
11/9/10, 11:35 AM   #1
Change the Oval Nationals Format
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

BACK TOO THE WAY IT WAS

You had two days of balls-out racing then on the final night, it was a let down, with 12 cars locked in and 3 b-mains with little passing or side by side racing.

I saw more passing on practice night then on the final night.

The owners and drivers might have liked it, but as a fan IT WAS A LET DOWN.

BACK to 3 nights of balls-out racing please

11/9/10, 12:14 PM   #2
Re: Change the Oval Nationals Format
trickyricky

I totally agree. Saturday was a little disappointing the way they ran the format. But overall it was great racin".
Last edited by trickyricky; 11/9/10 at 12:16 PM.

11/9/10, 12:26 PM   #3
duel

i thought the 3 last chance races were in addition to heat races. i agree. lock in the top 2 or 3 each night and run a complete show saturday.

11/9/10, 3:23 PM   #4
JCC

I hadn't been there before and thought the racing was great. The thing I didnt like were the 2 pit reporters. The would say things like "Bobby East your car looks like crap why is that?" Or to a couple others "You ran great tonight but what about you tearing it up last night" Bobby should have refused an interview with them. He sould have said " Well I am way faster then 99% of all these Cali guys!" I could go on with this but I would be typing all day. I am sure after a driver runs good he doesnt want to talk about trashing one the night before. Scott Daloisio is great! Other then that it was a great time and will be back next year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by JCC; 11/9/10 at 3:27 PM.

11/9/10, 6:17 PM   #5
petey

If the car counts regretfully continue to drop, yes they should run a complete show with heats on Sat.

11/9/10, 8:54 PM   #6
Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
If the car counts regretfully continue to drop, yes they should run a complete show with heats on Sat.
Amen to that brother. I was there with my brother 4 years ago and I think the car count was 74 or so. If memory serves me it was Friday night when they had a very heavy track and we had something like 14 flips that night. Next two nights were great racing.

11/10/10, 4:56 AM   #7
ImissAscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
BACK TOO THE WAY IT WAS

You had two days of balls-out racing then on the final night, it was a let down, with 12 cars locked in and 3 b-mains with little passing or side by side racing.

I saw more passing on practice night then on the final night.

The owners and drivers might have liked it, but as a fan IT WAS A LET DOWN.

BACK to 3 nights of balls-out racing please
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
Amen to that brother. I was there with my brother 4 years ago and I think the car count was 74 or so. If memory serves me it was Friday night when they had a very heavy track and we had something like 14 flips that night. Next two nights were great racing.

The "no passing" heat's on Sat. were do to the track being so heavy and narrow. A 20 lap B main with 12 transfers would have just been a longer "train ride" kinda like the A main. Neither had anything to do with the format. The car count had nowhere to go but down, there were only 2 cars from AZ (#8 Cottle/Ream Jr.-#15RJ Johnson/Martin) that had a 410 to bring. If we would have gotten the usual 10-15 AZ car's there would have been 70 car's and you can't complain about that ! !....

11/10/10, 9:39 AM   #8
AERO410SCJA

I disagree, I believe if guys had to run heats and a B-MAIN they would have pushed the track up trying to get to the front to qualify.And 20 extra laps can do wonders on a tacky track.And a couple cars that left may have stayed if they though they could start better then 13th.

11/10/10, 10:12 AM   #9
Scott Daloisio

There was supposed to be a 20 lap C-main that should have featured 16 cars (if you take into account 49 cars started Friday nights show) and six transfers. Through flips & blown engines on Friday and a few mechanical ills in hot laps on Saturday, only six cars were going to start that C main and they were all going to transfer so it was scrubbed. Had that race been run with 16 cars, track would not have been as tacky. The track was prepaired with that C main taken into account. Also, the winds on Saturday afternoon blew harder than they had all week. When it blew on practice night on Wednesday and the Thursday preliminary, it blew all night. Was supposed to continue blowing all Saturday night, so that was also taken into account when the track was prepared on Saturday and more water than usual was put on. However, the wind completely laid down early.

Only car that pulled out was having a terrible weekend and his teammate's car was wrecked (not sure if they had a backup for the teammate) in the B main on Saturday.
Last edited by Scott Daloisio; 11/10/10 at 10:22 AM.

11/10/10, 10:20 AM   #10
AERO410SCJA

I just don't like ANY format that takes the fastest 12 cars out of the mix for half the night and lets guys know where they start before they get to the track.

1 member likes this post: duel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Change the Oval Nationals Format