IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > There may still be a Road to Indy after all!!
7/13/10, 8:10 PM   #1
There may still be a Road to Indy after all!!
B99

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...e=blog&id=4727

Apparently part of the ICS announcement tomorrow is perhaps a fully funded Lights effort for a USAC grad.

Now that would be great except for the fact that Indy Car owners, whether it be IRL or CART have failed miserably at using the lower power formula car feeder series grads as the next generation Indy Car stars.

I hope it works out. At least it's something.

I'd hope that the National Champion would get first crack.

7/13/10, 8:41 PM   #2
Re: There may still be a Road to Indy after a
Z-man

I can see this as a win win situation for both USAC and the IRL. The IRL gets exposure to local short track fans and USAC has potential for new young drivers seeking a chance at racing in the IRL. USAC booth at all IRL races with displays? IRL drivers making "appearances" at USAC events? This has the potential for more exposure than Danica's spread in the SI swim suit edition.
As for first crack, would hope the top 5 in points would get some testing and exposure at IRL venues.

7/13/10, 8:47 PM   #3
mtek56

Robin Miller reported Sunday on Speed xtra on his way back from Kokomo that Randy Bernard asked Levi Jones to be at the press conference. It sounds as if Randy Bernard was quite impressed with the action at Kokomo and the history of sprints to indy. This guy seems to be able to make things happen unlike the past leader. I think the next few years will be quite exciting for all open wheel series. To return to national prominance Randy Bernard realizes he needs American racers in his top series again.

7/13/10, 11:32 PM   #4
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtek56 View Post
Robin Miller reported Sunday on Speed xtra on his way back from Kokomo that Randy Bernard asked Levi Jones to be at the press conference. It sounds as if Randy Bernard was quite impressed with the action at Kokomo and the history of sprints to indy. This guy seems to be able to make things happen unlike the past leader. I think the next few years will be quite exciting for all open wheel series. To return to national prominance Randy Bernard realizes he needs American racers in his top series again.
These posts sound positive. I would like to see guys go on talent not dollars. While I understand TG has some racing royalty, and "has raced the chili bowl". I still think his upbringing really separated him from the common short track race fan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by apexonephoto; 7/13/10 at 11:42 PM.

7/14/10, 8:15 AM   #5
Seadog

Well, a few years back, I recall there were fully funded IndyCar tests for USAC champions. Nothing seemed to really ever pan out with that. But I have hope that there will be more oomph put into it this time. Levi or Sweet or Clauson would be a nice addition to the IndyCar series. If this happens, it might make some of these young drivers choose USAC over other clubs as an enticement to have a run in Indy Lights.

If Robin Miller had a hand in making this happen, then I will give him kudos for the first time ever.

7/14/10, 8:27 AM   #6
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I’m still an IndyCar fan even though “our guys” were cut out of running the Speedway long ago. I hope this works, but this was tried a few years back with the Knoxville Nationals rookie of the year getting a ride for a year. Jeff Dodge got that seat. I thought he did a pretty good job considering he had no experience. He ran some more races after that first year and then that was it. The program only lasted one year and that was it. I hope this can become something.

I will say that Randy Bernard “gets it”. You can say what you want about Robin Miller, but he is on Randy all the time about getting USAC guys back to the Speedway. Randy actually listens (obviously….Robin has gotten him to go to a couple of dirt tracks this year…..could you imagine he and TG going together….lol) so he understands where some of the fan base has gone. I’d love to see IndyCar and USAC work together more….anybody notice that USAC’s new color scheme for the trailer is now the same scheme as IndyCar uses now….probably just a coincidence…but I noticed that right away.

The important thing is that it needs to at least lead to a ride at the Speedway. Using Levi as an example: If you know it’s just going to be Indy Lights for one year and no ride at Indy, do you do it knowing you are giving up good full-time rides in USAC? Hard call to make if that ultimate prize isn’t there. I hope that has been thought out for the program. Travis Gregg who ran sprints won 3 or 4 races one year and that got him nothing the next year....you don't want to "give up your day job" if nothing further happens. So just winning isn’t always enough….we all know that.
Last edited by openwheelKT; 7/14/10 at 8:33 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > There may still be a Road to Indy after all!!