IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
2/8/08, 8:01 PM   #1
Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
fishnman

After being laid up all week with a fever hovering between 101 and 105, had alot of time to gather thoughts of all the races I've attended in my life. ( for those of you that don"t know me personally sprints, midgets, and REAL champ cars, along with throwing a spinnerbait at 6:30 in the morning are the things that bring pleasure in my life). Also been thinking of the future of this sport and where it is going.

Been following this sport since I was seven years old, and if my math serves me correct that is 38 years. Can't even estimate the number of races, but remember each track without hesitation. Ascot was a thrill the one and only time I had the pleasure to go there, wow the way they rode that cushion! Devils Bowl for the 1st WoO ( a non-wing show mind you). One of my favorites in Texas was a Place called Buffalo Park, and they didn"t run sprints but Texas Modifieds, and a man named Eldon Dotson was the MAN! Even the Supermodifieds at Sandusky and the one visit to Oswego. Those guys flat get it on! But I am an Indiana boy ( Ohio transplant that is) and here is where I have been since 89' when my 4 years of service was done. As for these hoosier tracks, I truly love everyone of them. Sometimes I would go and to Gas City Friday, Burg Saturday, then Tri-State Sunday, get home at 3 in the morning and be back up at 6 for work. The next weekend it was Bloomington, da' Burg and then all Day fishin. Then there was Paragon, and I've always left that place with a good taste in my mouth. Twin cities has left me with some lasting memories, with the 99 NWWC race being my favorite. Kokomo is really a show stopper and Putnamville, ( opinion only here;; excluding the current state), has had some great shows. And Terre Haute, Man that place means ALOT to me! Gosh I hope THAT bets back to the glory days! But Lawrenceburg has always been home to me and when I think of all the memories, really bogles the mind. My very good friend Tommy Bipes taking one of the worst spills I have ever witnessed. Greg Staab being unbeatable at times, running the bottom. Marvin Deputy always stood out in my mind. Thickstun, Ritter, Huntley, I could go on for two hours. Two names that stand out more than any though, Gaines and Wilkerson. Man I have been blessed more than any Nascrap fan could be in 100 years.

Now with the race track recieving another facelift, many are wondering what the future holds for this Historic place. I will surely miss the old 1/4 mile, and I for one sometimes ain't exactly too keen on change, but I think this change may be one of the best things to come along in awhile.

Last year was a learning experience for me even after being around this stuff 38 years. Never realized how much work it took, but believe me there are better and more profitable ways to make a living. Last year was very draining physically, losing 25 pounds, and when you barely weigh a buck seventy, 25 pounds is alot! Mental strain was at an all time high, but come 7:00 every Saturday it was well worth it. Why? Guess I want this place to be second to none, though it really always has been in my mind. At times this year questions were raised on how things turned out, but I for one could not have been happier with the overall results. From the Gaines/Petty shootout in the early part of the year to the Hoosier Fall Classic all in all a pretty good year, and this being Rudys VERY FIRST YEAR in promoting. Was there any mistakes made? Sure there was. But there are oops in anything and everything we do, hell I still get spinnerbaits hung in trees, but not from a lack of effort.

That is what I am getting at: I see everyday the effort Dave is putting into this and his commitment to making Lawrenceburg the BEST SHOW ON DIRT! And not for just us guys that have always known what real racing is and who real men are, but for sprint car fans that are new to the sport. The man has been working anywhere from 4 to 8 hours a day in the off-season on making things BETTER. and this after a 12 hour shift at the slopes. And I thought I had more energy than anybody. I just want to say to everyone in IOW territory that 100% effort will be and ALWAYS will be put forth into Lawrenceburg and the new 3/8 mile.

I know I am more excited about the coming year than ever before, and can't wait till April.I hope to get around a little more than last year to talk to people, always a pleasure to see Fishburger, Cecil98, and so on. Guys I have this deep feeling that we are going to see some great racing this coming year.

2/8/08, 8:20 PM   #2
Re: Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
flipalong

Thanks for the great post!!! I have some good memories of the burg also. My first memory was sometime in the 80's when I was a kid a sprinter went flipping and landed in the bed of a pick up truck. In you'r post you mentioned thickstun which one was it?

I'm not real big on change either but I bet they new track will be a good one.

Nick Johnson

2/8/08, 8:20 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Was just down there checking it out and as it's off limits, All I could see was from outside and over at Competition Karting, Rebar is being put up all around 1/2 and the backstraight, they are still raising 3/4 but they seem to have a flat area marked off for the Drive thru scale house. Those stands in 1/2 are gonna be elevated 4 ft over the wall with the top of them probably about the BIG A level of the main grandstand.

Im excited about it. The old Quarter holds many great memories but all too often I seemed to be dissapointed (Not last year) But as I heard one person say early last year, That was the same show as last year and the year before, ect.

Now there have been some exciting nights in recent years, Drake splitting a pair coming off four to win a televised event a few years ago. Even last years last ten foot pass by Levi to win. Just often in didn't happen to be side by side sprint racing as I remember from the old days. Either the top was fast and a runaway or it was slick huggy pole. I crave a little of both at the same time

Dave, Props to you, The crews working down there and wishing you a great 2008. Lets get enough attendance to fill two of them grandstands!!!!!!!!

Go Burg
Chuck:thumb

2/8/08, 8:23 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipalong View Post
Thanks for the great post!!! I have some good memories of the burg also. My first memory was sometime in the 80's when I was a kid a sprinter went flipping and landed in the bed of a pick up truck. In you'r post you mentioned thickstun which one was it?

I'm not real big on change either but I bet they new track will be a good one.

Nick Johnson

Im sure it was Leon. I've been attending races for about the same amount of time as him and I don't remember Jeff running the burg much. Of course I didn't get liberated to visit a bunch of other tracks till the mid 80s.

Chuck, who remembers one year for the championship Leon won a Brand new Nance Chassis for the 22 thickstun team.

2/8/08, 8:28 PM   #5
fishnman

I believe you might be right Chuck, it could have been Leon. Was it the red #22.

2/8/08, 8:50 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Yeah, Leon ran the 22 then drove for Hoffman for a year or so. First guy I ever seen flatfoot the whole track non winged back in about 88 in the #69

Rodney Ritter, Randy Kinser, Kelly Kinser, Shields Boys, Bowling, Bipes, Ricky Hound Dog Hood, Andy Stapp, Troy Link, Bob Kinser, Denny Martini, Staab, Pup, Brisky, Amati, Kenny Jacobs breaking his own record every year at the HFC,that was the late 80s.

Chuck, wondering how in the heck it's been 25 years since the album Thriller came out? (Not a endorsement) It was just huge my Sr. Year of HS.

2/8/08, 9:03 PM   #7
fishnman

If it was Leon that flipped into the Back of a pick-up I missed it. Alot of spills I do remember though. Like I had posted earlier Tom Bipes wreck in turns one and two was SCARY! Everything tore up, leg pinned under car, etc. Tom has told me many times that after the wreck he had brain swelling to the point surgery was discussed. Wreck hurt him worse than the one at Bloomington that broke his neck

2/8/08, 9:15 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Yeah, Seen Andy Stapp and Tommy Bipes both go through the fence in one. I remember Troy Link flipping off 3-4 and landing on their own pickup truck. Remember Jeff Gordon driving the backup Stropahl 20 at the HFC and Flying off three, Not once but twice and hauling back through the pits scaring the bejesus out of everyone
Some nasty ones, I even remember a car flipping high enough to take down the lights that ran 20ft above 3

Chuck, who thinks the most spectacular one with no injuries was Rodney Ritter in the Red 20 nance that went the length of the back straight and somewhat down the pit road. Probably 20 flips in some variation or another.

2/8/08, 9:31 PM   #9
flipalong

I'm not sure who it was that flipped into the truck but it was just the first vivid memory at LB

as for asking about which thickstun it was. Jeff drove my dads car in the early eighties and I thought it might been him in his car.

2/8/08, 10:31 PM   #10
smith19

I Thought It Was Bipes That Went Into The Truck. My Most Memorable Moment At The Burg Is Carrying The 1975 Championship Trophy Off The Track. I Was One Proud 9 Year Old Kid. Cecil, I Do Remember Your Ride Off Three And Mike Windblad's (white 7x) Ride Down The Front Chute In The 80's. One Thing You Won't See This Year Is Guys Running Off The Track Because Their Pissed...lol

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future